FSU AD Wilcox projects significant revenue jump from ACC Network

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://georgiatech.247sports.com/Bo...ficant-revenue-jump-from-ACC-Network-51424858

"Florida State athletics director Stan Wilcox said the ACC's revised television deal will deliver an increased payout of $3 million in the 2017-18 fiscal year."

Also
"Revenues will jump once the "linear" ACC Network launches in the fall of 2019. Wilcox said the ACC's projections have indicated that the distribution per school will increase by $8 million-$10 million in 2019-20, and then $10 million-$15 million in future years."

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I just read a press release from the SEC Office that starting in 2018 all games contracted to be played against ACC opponents will include a mandatory BYE week for the SEC Team. Non-Negotiable! They want to even the playing field.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
On the one hand, this is a great revenue stream from GT. On the other hand, I don't feel proud that my beloved alma mater is a beneficiary of the business model designed to kill the internet.

Anyone who understands technology: why don't we use technology to debundle programing, create a neutral distribution network, cut out non-value-add middleman, and offer consumers lower prices & more options?

Cable companies: why don't we buy all the cables and the content companies & we'll charge you whatever the hell we want

College football cartel: you know, linear TV is dependent upon real-time content. why don't we extort a high rent from cable companies and see how high can push this bubble

Current FCC policy: Net Neutrality is bad! let's cut this meddlesome regulation so that Comcast can conspire with other content producers who want to extract college football like rent!

Malevolent Giant: "a company or an individual holding some monopoly privilege who fully understands how a new technology might increase social value. But the giant also realizes that there is now way it can capture this increase in social value. Unable to capture the gain, and certain to lose its own rents, the malevolent giant acts to resist the technological change, as a way of preserving its own power" - Larry Lessig (2002).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we'll finally be able to afford more than 4 recruiting staff members. If the NCAA is truly interested in creating a level playing field, they need to cap the number of non-coaching staff members. The "haves" will continue to find the loopholes so it behooves the regulatory body to continue to find new ways to curb them. This is not a free market system, regulation is not the enemy, it's necessary or the budget rich have a huge advantage over the budget poor.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we'll finally be able to afford more than 4 recruiting staff members. If the NCAA is truly interested in creating a level playing field, they need to cap the number of non-coaching staff members. The "haves" will continue to find the loopholes so it behooves the regulatory body to continue to find new ways to curb them. This is not a free market system, regulation is not the enemy, it's necessary or the budget rich have a huge advantage over the budget poor.
I agree we should add staff to improve recruiting, but would prefer that they be YOUNG ast coach types. Not big on a sales type recruiting into all that's involved w GT. Add some young aggressive coaches to help in practice and on sidelines so when they interact with players and they don't seem like plug and play sales type. We will need more data analysis help in searching for the potential tech guy so the young guys can start the process.
Something doesn't seem fair when you compare the folks in golf shirts on the clemson / fsu side to the other schools.
This change would be welcome.

Coaching son says that Ala has special coaches for 3 rd down!

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow

Well said. This point seems especially true since college football has no mechanism for distributing talent/profits, e.g. pro-sport leagues have centralized revenue sharing. rookie drafts, and salary caps. College football, on the other hand, is a space race of outspending other schools on staff and facilities, hoarding talent, restricting player movement, and decentralizing league power to the benefit of regional conferences. It works great for the SEC right now, but I think we all sense systemic long-term risks to this model.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree we should add staff to improve recruiting, but would prefer that they be YOUNG ast coach types. Not big on a sales type recruiting into all that's involved w GT. Add some young aggressive coaches to help in practice and on sidelines so when they interact with players and they don't seem like plug and play sales type. We will need more data analysis help in searching for the potential tech guy so the young guys can start the process.
Something doesn't seem fair when you compare the folks in golf shirts on the clemson / fsu side to the other schools.
This change would be welcome.

Coaching son says that Ala has special coaches for 3 rd down!

How does the graduate assistant system work? Isn't that basically cheap grad student labor for the GT coaching staff? Seems like this could be a huge benefit for GT (subsidized graduate degree; attract quant guys for data analysis or ex-football players who want to go own to coach or be ADs of Georgia High Schools, thereby building GT pipelines). I'm sure we already do this, just curious about the success rate

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
How does the graduate assistant system work? Isn't that basically cheap grad student labor for the GT coaching staff? Seems like this could be a huge benefit for GT (subsidized graduate degree; attract quant guys for data analysis or ex-football players who want to go own to coach or be ADs of Georgia High Schools, thereby building GT pipelines). I'm sure we already do this, just curious about the success rate

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
On the one hand, this is a great revenue stream from GT. On the other hand, I don't feel proud that my beloved alma mater is a beneficiary of the business model designed to kill the internet.

Anyone who understands technology: why don't we use technology to debundle programing, create a neutral distribution network, cut out non-value-add middleman, and offer consumers lower prices & more options?

Cable companies: why don't we buy all the cables and the content companies & we'll charge you whatever the hell we want

College football cartel: you know, linear TV is dependent upon real-time content. why don't we extort a high rent from cable companies and see how high can push this bubble

Current FCC policy: Net Neutrality is bad! let's cut this meddlesome regulation so that Comcast can conspire with other content producers who want to extract college football like rent!

Malevolent Giant: "a company or an individual holding some monopoly privilege who fully understands how a new technology might increase social value. But the giant also realizes that there is now way it can capture this increase in social value. Unable to capture the gain, and certain to lose its own rents, the malevolent giant acts to resist the technological change, as a way of preserving its own power" - Larry Lessig (2002).

With the guy that Trump put in as the chair of the FCC, Ajit Pai, net neutrality is in serious trouble and that does not bode well for us the consumer of things like college football. This will probably end up in court and tie into freedom of speech as well as claiming the internet is a utility similar to telephone service( which is how it is regulated now which is logical). This could tie into the haves vs have nots big time. Source:My industry is wireless telecom training and R&D for a major OEM