"From the Flats", just listened and CGC said

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It will absolutely have zero to do with it. You are talking about a walk-on that was given a one year scholarship based on left over money/scholarships. It is not the same at all. I am not privileged to have been in the room when Wells received his scholly but have been in that room with others. The athlete is made aware that it is a 1 year deal from the get go. Sorry, this response was about Midtown Jacket and Wesley Wells. Don’t know what I was doing but must have been using my thumbs!!

I didn’t realize it was a one year deal. I didn’t see that written anywhere when the news broke he was awarded it.

Sample of articles below:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...d-scholarship/O0AKyB3xpoayraDpD2UX1J/amp.html

Is that always how it works with these? I had thought they were typically given for the remainder of your time at Tech? I remember back in 2015 the power 5 voted to protect incoming freshman who signed LOIs for the 4 years against athletic withdrawal of a scholarship, but know it didn’t protect against removal of one if they were given after like to a walk on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t realize it was a one year deal. I didn’t see that written anywhere when the news broke he was awarded it.

Sample of articles below:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...d-scholarship/O0AKyB3xpoayraDpD2UX1J/amp.html

Is that always how it works with these? I had thought they were typically given for the remainder of your time at Tech? I remember back in 2015 the power 5 voted to protect incoming freshman who signed LOIs for the 4 years against athletic withdrawal of a scholarship, but know it didn’t protect against removal of one if they were given after like to a walk on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal experience was with two other power 5 teams , it was made clear that the scholarship was given for one year. Often, when the dust settles, (last minute transfers and no chance to fill through the portal ) a coach will recognize a contributing walk-on with the last second available ship. My point was more about people jumping to conclusion about Collins and using an example that was flawed. If a coach is up front and prepositioned a player, no fowl play. The 2015 rule only applies to players that reported to school as freshman after signing a LOI. Any walk-on that receives a scholarship is on a yearly basis.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The game day stuff I'm not as sure about. There's limited track record, and experience in that role may be the only thing. Early in his HC career CPJ way out-coached Dabo on the field. Doesn't seem so important now. As for his awareness, that I can't attest to here. I realize that most of his public comments aren't aimed at the dedicated Tech fan/alumnus, and so he's generally on a positive branding mission that isn't exactly supported by "here's how we (and me) are bad." Of course, I would evaluate positively someone saying publicly "here's where I need to improve and how I'm going about it" when it is earnestly offered. Just because we're not hearing it though doesn't mean it isn't there. It's an unknown.

As for overall vision, just listen to him. Developmental program building a positive and highly engaged culture, publicizing it as a brand of excellence in all walks of life for those involved and integrating that with the local community, our own unique and successful history, making the NFL more accessible for our players -- aiming to put GT in the center of college football.

Obviously there's a lot of lofty and abstract stuff there, and a lot of things which sound like marketing fluff. To me they are marketing, and being the best at everything is totally dumb as an empty aspiration, yet they aren't fluff. He really has changed our relationship with the media, the community, and the NFL. He is seeming to attract a different caliber of athlete to the flats and at the same time valuing far more than football. He is getting kids to work harder and be closer with themselves and the staff off the field. His practices are fast paced and involving everyone possible, and he does take a lot of time to develop players not cracking the 2-deep. The intrinsic rewards for effort are reinforced with a high degree of intention, and be builds in competition to a host of areas of the team, etc. A lot may be cheesy or just odd (e.g. ATL), but that right there just fits with the competition, position flexibility, open play opportunities, focusing on development and depth instead of prioritizing starters, etc.
All we can do is, as they say, wait and see. Just a different offense should improve recruiting. Johnson was never going to attract the great running backs or wide receivers. He just had a different offense. He managed to get some receivers and develop them, and servieable "B backs" but no blue chip running back was going to a program to touch the ball 4-5 times a game. So that alone should boost recruiting. I hope it does. I also hope he just shuts up about blaming the previous coach and offense for his problems. He needs to man up and look forward. Your post has a lot of sensible stuff so I am not belittling it. (It would also make me appreciate him more if he stopped sounding like he invented the "culture" that he lifted whole cloth from Clemson, but that's another story.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Well 's family is front row first class. His year 1 was dream worth - zero misses and beat Virginia w no time. They were so greatful to make the team. This past year they never gave up cheering for gt and wesley.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping that means Verdisco is crushing it. Good to see King on track to graduate and already accepting a job. He's probably just fine with Tech delivering for him. Not sure with Wesley, but I wish the best for him.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
First I like CGC but your hate for CPJ makes me sick.

Wrong. I freaking loved CPJ and still do. I’ve followed him since the Southern days. Just because I like what CGC is doing doesn’t mean I like CPJ any less. I never mentioned Johnson in my post. I’ve turned the corner and all that matters is recruiting the players who can compete. You can take that as a knock on any previous coach you want, but GT simply hasn’t gotten it done when it comes to high level players. CGC is making this his coaching priority and we’ll see if it works. If it doesn’t there any plenty of regular boring coaches we can get. I loved CPJ because he was different that Gailey. And I like CGC for the same reason.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There is an entire untapped market of the African American community that is half and growing of Atlanta. There’s no reason our fan base at the games should be 95% white. They seem to have a larger contingent in Athens for whatever reason.

The falcons game is a great example of this community. They love football and we should market more to fill our seats IMO.
If we get the star players, start winning and geta fun atmosphere going then they will show up

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There is an entire untapped market of the African American community that is half and growing of Atlanta. There’s no reason our fan base at the games should be 95% white. They seem to have a larger contingent in Athens for whatever reason.

The falcons game is a great example of this community. They love football and we should market more to fill our seats IMO.
I think the future in sports in Atlanta - when it comes to fans, not tv - is, unfortunately, in soccer. I wish I didn't think so; I think soccer is boring (unless you are half drunk and in a pub in England during a World Cup run, of course). The sport seems to have stolen the spotlight with our increasing Latino population and the kids play it more the football all the way up to their teens.

I don't think football will die out, especially in this part of the country, but it seems sports viewing habits are changing very fast. And I don't think the fortunes of Tech football have much effect on that one way or the other.

TechPreacher

Banned

Why is "95% white" seen as a bad thing?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Why is "95% white" seen as a bad thing?
I don’t believe he’s trying to say 95% white is a bad thing per se, but rather it doesn’t reflect the demographics of the country, the school, and definitely not the city. I also think it’s too little too late for Tech to build any reasonable fan base within the city. With how many alums of other schools live in Atlanta, and how many nearby schools are in the national spotlight year in, year out, I just don’t think Tech will ever build the foothold it needs to grow within the city. I think the social media brigade Collins and Co. have to put work is great for Tech’s image and will probably get a few extra people interested in GT sports. I just don’t think it’s enough to see any radical change within the fan base. Especially with how attendance is down in every sport across the globe. Unless, of course, GT football turns into a legitimate national contender. Which is definitely possible. But going 9-3 every year and playing the Capital One Bowl isn’t going to get it done. Gonna need multiple seasons of 10 wins and multiple ACC championship appearances to make a dent in the city’s heart.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It’s more of a comparison to the city as a whole. If we were drawing as many Latinos and AA as we were “whites” we would be sold out every game.
I would think we draw largely from the alumni base and not the local population in general, and since our alumni base is historically white and even today the school is half white and a quarter international students who largely don't follow football, its not very surprising. African American and Latino students are 14% of the enrollment, and that's probably the highest its ever been.