From a fan of 55 years and what i see

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching that Dennis Scott shot from the UNC game made me feel like I was there It must've been a great environment.
It was. And the jersey he was wearing when he made that shot is framed and hanging in my billiards room of my house. :)
Definitely my most prized piece of Tech memorabilia. And, for the record, Dennis is an outstanding ambassador for Tech and absolutely loves everything about the school. Great guy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It was. And the jersey he was wearing when he made that shot is framed and hanging in my billiards room of my house. :)
Definitely my most prized piece of Tech memorabilia. And, for the record, Dennis is an outstanding ambassador for Tech and absolutely loves everything about the school. Great guy.
He graduated, too, right?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
ALso the class I have in here for study hall right now I interrupted the boys talking about the NBA playoffs to ask and the response I got was "Who watches NBA TV??????"

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
ALso the class I have in here for study hall right now I interrupted the boys talking about the NBA playoffs to ask and the response I got was "Who watches NBA TV??????"
It's actually true. Today's youth is smarter than the previous generation.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm around high schoolers all day who live and breathe the NBA.

None of them knew who he was.
Tell them to put their iPhones down, get off Instagram and go watch the latest ESPN 30-for-30 special on the Orlando Magic. It was about Shaq, Penny Hardaway and Dennis and their run in Orlando.
Also, check the records for most 3 pointers in a season...he's still in the top 5, although Klay Thompson and Steph Curry keep moving him farther down the list and I'm sure he'll move out within a year the way those two are going.

But, enough about Dennis...maybe the kids you teach will know who a guy named Calvin Johnson is. Or perhaps Demaryius Thomas if he is able to come to a game when his team isn't playing. Or Morgan Burnett. Or Mark Texiera. Or Jason Varitek.

I do not hang around football players but I do coach baseball players and had the privilege of having 14 of the 21 players on my team this past season sign college scholarships. (And that # may go to 15 because one of my former players threw a gem for Harrison High School last night in the Elite 8 of AAAAAA playoffs with Valdosta State, KSU, Jacksonville State, and Furman scouts there to watch him.)

I know Will's dad said those guys wouldn't be impressed by former players but my baseball players are. I talked to some of them yesterday and asked that question and one of them (one who has already signed to play in college, btw) said, "If I was at a Tech game and Megatron was there, I'd probably commit on the spot if offered, just so I could hopefully go shake his hand."

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Love the Name calling.

You are right. I never learned to sit, stay, and come like a good engineer.
I admit I am a dreamer - it worked for me and a group of associates as we built a 1500 man engineering business from scratch. During the 30 years of turbulent times in the oil patch, the hardest part is staying hungry for solid growth each year. Some years more revenue. Some years add new areas of business.

What asset do we have that no one has? We are in ATLANTA - a great city thats very close to emense football talent. If we somehow put together several great seasons in a row (money flows ) & gt football a hot ticket , we politic with BOR to see the good in this continuing ( raise out of state tuition),- be very selectively recruit nation wide and intensively recruit in the south.

Your downer about dreamers should be focused on holding our leafers on the hill and gtaa accountable for failing to dream big.

With aggressive leaders on Hill and GTAA, Ga tech football could compete with big boys.

As an example
I donate to baylor and gt.
Google "Sloan Baylor president" punch Wiki and note the date he was replaced Baylor (2005 during his tenure average wins football in conference =1) after 2 years of dismal performance they hired art brilles. Before that they were almost out of college football. Now they have a new stadium with sold out seats , record enrollment, & coach that w bonus made a little less than SABAN, and they are seen as WINNERS with a pass happy offense and aggressive defense.

For us ourfIrst step is coach shows last year a fluke and he has fixed the staff and system. This will confirm a lot of things.

Second step we scrape some $$ to get better much much recruiting. To keep the winning going. If we win 3 years in a row, look out.

OK, I am confused,,,,

Baylor has an undergraduate enrollment of 14,189 vs GT enrollment of 15,132

Their stadium holds 45,000 capacity. While Grant Field holds 55,000. Advantage GT

Average attendance for Baylor was 46,160 and for GT was 50,707…so again advantage GT.

What exactly is your point? That we ought to do what Baylor did? Help me out here.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yes! That guy was an athlete as well as a sharp shooter. If the 3 point shot was in effect he would have scored 20 more. The I wonder how that performance stacks up in the record book for a guard????
Thanks
Wonder if gtaa has that game highlighted in gt history?

I got my first tooth root canal from a collision with Flip's head in a pick-up game. A fine player and guy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tell them to put their iPhones down, get off Instagram and go watch the latest ESPN 30-for-30 special on the Orlando Magic. It was about Shaq, Penny Hardaway and Dennis and their run in Orlando.
Also, check the records for most 3 pointers in a season...he's still in the top 5, although Klay Thompson and Steph Curry keep moving him farther down the list and I'm sure he'll move out within a year the way those two are going.

But, enough about Dennis...maybe the kids you teach will know who a guy named Calvin Johnson is. Or perhaps Demaryius Thomas if he is able to come to a game when his team isn't playing. Or Morgan Burnett. Or Mark Texiera. Or Jason Varitek.

I do not hang around football players but I do coach baseball players and had the privilege of having 14 of the 21 players on my team this past season sign college scholarships. (And that # may go to 15 because one of my former players threw a gem for Harrison High School last night in the Elite 8 of AAAAAA playoffs with Valdosta State, KSU, Jacksonville State, and Furman scouts there to watch him.)

I know Will's dad said those guys wouldn't be impressed by former players but my baseball players are. I talked to some of them yesterday and asked that question and one of them (one who has already signed to play in college, btw) said, "If I was at a Tech game and Megatron was there, I'd probably commit on the spot if offered, just so I could hopefully go shake his hand."
How quickly we forget David Duval.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You are correct that has to be greatest sport event watched on TV or heard on radio. Greater than the shot heard around the world in 1951.
Let us please add that unfortunate incident to the football coach whose name is never mentioned file.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
How quickly we forget David Duval.
I actually considered him, Bryce Molder and Stewart Cink. I admit to having a prejudice against Duval though. I've met him a few times and the guy is a first class d'bag. Cink, on the other hand, is one of the nicest people you've ever met and absolutely loves everything to do with GT. If he's playing in a tournament, wear GT gear. Especially to a practice round. He will at least give you a nod and, if it's a practice round, maybe even come speak to you.
Another great GT representative.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Speaking about Duval, I'm going to be at TPC for the 3rd round. Unrelated to the topic? Yea, but I'm amped anyways.
If you get a chance ask one of 'em how it is that professional golfers -- do not try this at home -- who can shoot eight and nine shots below par, get around a championship course in 65 strokes or so, take more than four hours, and Jordan Spieth plays like a guy expecting an IRS audit on the next green. God bless you for your patience, but even a baseball game gets over in three hours.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

I was responding to a post about having a bunch of old ex players standing on the sidelines. Sure the occasional Super Star who is still playing or is still relevant has some pull. Even then a kid is not going to commit because of a guy standing on the sideline before a football game. Players simply do not care about players from the past like fans of the school do. If the recruit grew up a fan then it might help. I would bet a steak meal that 95% of recruits could not name 3 Lettermen who are no longer playing. They only care about what is in it for them. You gotta show them the "love". Social Media created this monster now we need to have the additional staff to compete in the arms race. If you want those type of players. The type that everyone bitches about GT not getting :)

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've only been to one GT Hoops game, it was this year at home against Notre Dame. I've been to over 10 football games and that one basketball game was louder than almost all the football games (Except 09 vs Wake). It's incredible how loud it can get inside McCammish and watching some of the old games the other day on YouTube I'd say in 1990 we had one of the best home crowds in the nation. Watching that Dennis Scott shot from the UNC game made me feel like I was there It must've been a great environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was incredible