Freshmen to watch

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, if the recruits weren't any good, then there wouldn't be any point in playing them early since replacing [marginal talent + some experience] with [marginal talent + no experience] would be a step backward. So while I agree that the need for an upgrade in talent is needed, I interpret early playing time for the freshman as an upgrade rather than a push.

I didnt say they werent any good. I said numbers are forcing us to play them in spots no matter what. Like legget and freeman. And if our depth was where it could be we wouldnt need em right now.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Im glad CPJ has been put into a situation that he has no choice but to consider playing younger guys. I know it may not be fair to the seniors to look ahead and get young folks experience, but it will be beneficial down the road. Also if were lucky.. itll pay dividends this season as well. Id rather live with some mistakes due to inexperience, than be handcuffed due to lack of talent/upside.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Im glad CPJ has been put into a situation that he has no choice but to consider playing younger guys. I know it may not be fair to the seniors to look ahead and get young folks experience, but it will be beneficial down the road. Also if were lucky.. itll pay dividends this season as well. Id rather live with some mistakes due to inexperience, than be handcuffed due to lack of talent/upside.

I like playing young guys too, but we need to be careful about living with mistakes. We don't really have the luxury of making a ton of mistakes like a team like Alabama or FSU. If we turn the ball over or miss assignments that lead to scores on the other side, we are going to be in trouble against teams like Miami, VT, Clemson, and Georgia. That being said, the best athletes should probably be on the field...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you don't know where to go it doesn't matter how talented you are.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow

what players do you think CPJ is forced to play?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Well lets be honest here too. Some of these kids are solid but our depth is really poor in spots making these kids a need too. Like legget. Merriwether or simmons. 1-2 dbs. Etc. so this isnt a pure statement of how great our recruiting was. Its also a statement of how bad we need talent
Absolutely true with DE position. Do you feel we are forced to play 2 of the 3 db's?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As I and others have said before, if the player can make the two deep then let them play as a freshman. If not, the preference would be to let them redshirt.

Playing them just for the sake of playing them does not make sense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news is, because of schedule, CPJ will have an opportunity for a lot of BB rotation in the first three games and this should sort out the pecking order. The schedule also allows Laskey some reps but also some rest so he is ready for the long ACC grind. This backup role gets crucial if Laskey gets banged up; otherwise Connors will do fine and Leggett or Wilson are a plus if they surpass Connors in overall performance.

FWIW, if Leggett has a decent day tomorrow morning in the scrimmage, I think you're going to see the next depth chart show "Leggett or Connors" in the 2nd string BB position listing. If he backs that up with a solid week next week, Leggett will be the #2 B-back. Coaches really like the way he is working. I was told "he prepares like an upperclassman".

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Depends how u define. Sp teams? I think one to two in dime. Yes.
I was referring to the secondary. I haven't been losing sleep this summer worrying about depth in the secondary. DJ, Griffin, Golden, Smith, Johnson, Noble, and Milton can all start IMO. I don't know what Marvin did in the spring game. If 2 freshmen can crack the 2 deep, I'd say that speaks more to their talent than lack of depth.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, if Leggett has a decent day tomorrow morning in the scrimmage, I think you're going to see the next depth chart show "Leggett or Connors" in the 2nd string BB position listing. If he backs that up with a solid week next week, Leggett will be the #2 B-back. Coaches really like the way he is working. I was told "he prepares like an upperclassman".

That's great news. We could really use some depth at B-back.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
What if Connors has a great day tomorrow? Will you consider him the #2 guy or do you think he will jump to #1?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
That's great news. We could really use some depth at B-back.
typically 2 backs play unless injury. If CJ isn't #2 then the only drawback would be next year having no experience. You would hate to burn a year on a few token carries in a game that is mop up duty but would love to get him experience. double edged sword.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
typically 2 backs play unless injury. If CJ isn't #2 then the only drawback would be next year having no experience. You would hate to burn a year on a few token carries in a game that is mop up duty but would love to get him experience. double edged sword.

With MLD coming in next year I have no issues with CJ not being redshirted if he's ready to take the #2 B back role. If MLD is ready day one you can always move CJ to A back, iirc did Tech not have Dwyer at B and Ant at A in Dwyer's jr year?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
what players do you think CPJ is forced to play?
The positions where our #2s may be 5th year seniors who may know more of the playbook, but probably have no business being on the field. I understand we cant afford alot of mistakes, but some positions you cant afford the player getting manhandled when hes in the right position.