Freshmen to report tomorrow

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Only chance is Klock
First two games we only have 4 DTs, Gotsis, Green, Gamble, and Kallon. There is also A Gardner who has some past PT and will probably see late action in the Wofford game. The Tulane game becomes crucial with our DT situation. Commissiong is back for game three but there is outside risk of injury(s) by then....hope not. I could see the coaches looking for more insurance at DT and right now Klock seems to be the likely option IMO. Fortunately the coaches have a month of practice to work on their plan of action, whatever that may be.

We really need Commisiong to come into his own this year and play a major role as rotating DT, if Sir Francis sees the light that would be gravy

We don't really need anything if we control the ball with our offense, and keep our defense off the field. It would appear, however, that there will have to be at least one true freshman getting real minutes on the defensive line.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well going by the record book Attaochu can make a argument.
Going by the record books, Greg Gathers did what he did in 3 years. To me, he's the most dominate pass rusher we've had at Tech. Loved Marco Coleman, as well. This is not taking anything away from Attaochu. Quite the opposite, it puts him in rarefied company.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You realize that he's a 2015 commit, right? When you say, "this year," it sounds like you're talking about 2014, his senior year of high school.

Yeah, I was in a time warp. Getting him next year will be great. I don't think he'll start but I think he will play a lot as a Fr. That's what I was looking for an opinion on.

Looking at him, he looks ready to start this year!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Roof has a major problem this year with DL. MAJOR.

Both DE spots are huge question marks. DT starters look OK but Green is smallish and has been oft injured. Tell me who is going to rotate in to Keep these guys fresh? What if there's an injury? Same thing for DE but we don't even have established guys there.

IMO people are going to be trashing -Roof after this season. It's not fair but then again neither is life.

GT continues to struggle at QB & on the DL, where recruiting misses, attrition, & horrible luck have been a constant problem. Some guys gotta step up.
I wouldn't call JT a "miss" at qb.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, you never know. Kinda hard for a true frosh when they miss spring.

True, but I was thinking more so from a depth perspective. Tech's had more than a few freshmen come in and be capable of providing depth. You know me, I love redshirting most everybody but I'm not sure Tech has that luxury this year in the D line.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One more thing on Custis. If you transfer as an RB you run the real risk of being shoved down the list by new recruits going forward. Often this has nothing to do with actual talent. What happens is what happened to Tony Hollings. Why wasn't Tony playing at RB, where he was the greatest natural in Tech history? Because coaches had brought in RBs that they had put their reps behind and wanted them to play instead. It took a coaching change – and one practice – for Tony to get his shot.

If Custis does come back to Tech – and I agree that's a longer shot now – then he automatically moves into competition for a starting spot at BB. The position will be wide open with two senior BBs gone. Also, he won't have to convince the coaches that he has the ability to play the position; they're already sold. If he transfers, he's a new kid who has to fight his way up the lineup and prove himself all over again. I'm betting that this is one reason he still seems positive about Tech and I hope he comes back.

Maybe, you never know. Kinda hard for a true frosh when they miss spring.

Yes, but we are modifying our style on defense, and especially the defensive line. No thinking, just playing. He could gradually get some playing time and by the fifth or sixth game provide some help. If I am Paul Johnson, my outlook is there is no tomorrow right now.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One more thing on Custis. If you transfer as an RB you run the real risk of being shoved down the list by new recruits going forward. Often this has nothing to do with actual talent. What happens is what happened to Tony Hollings. Why wasn't Tony playing at RB, where he was the greatest natural in Tech history? Because coaches had brought in RBs that they had put their reps behind and wanted them to play instead. It took a coaching change – and one practice – for Tony to get his shot.

I take umbrage with the highlighted area. #19 was the greatest natural runner in Tech history. Read Jackrabbit.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I take umbrage with the highlighted area. #19 was the greatest natural runner in Tech history. Read Jackrabbit.
Tony Hollings stood out that year. He was an amazing talent. Even 3 weeks after his injury he was leading the country in rush yards. Thats impressive as hell to me. Im a younger guy so I havent seen alot of the greats in person. But he was 1 that I hated to see go down like that. He was rolling. Definitely agree he was a natural

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I liked Tony too. Not disagreeing with the overall assessment of Tony's skill. However, Tony was not the greatest natural in Tech history. I doubt there will ever be one to rival Castleberry. (and I doubt there are many on this site, if any, that saw him play)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt that Castleberry was the shiftiest runner in Tech history, but

He didn't run a legit 4.4 40. He didn't weigh 220. And he didn't have the tremendous breakaway capability that Tony did. As I said after he was injured, I've only seen one TB who was as physically talented: O. J. Simpson. And that, I might add, includes Gale Sayers. If Tony had stayed healthy we would have won 10 - 11 games that year and he would have been clearly in the running for the Heisman. He was that good.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt that Castleberry was the shiftiest runner in Tech history, but

He didn't run a legit 4.4 40. He didn't weigh 220. And he didn't have the tremendous breakaway capability that Tony did. As I said after he was injured, I've only seen one TB who was as physically talented: O. J. Simpson. And that, I might add, includes Gale Sayers. If Tony had stayed healthy we would have won 10 - 11 games that year and he would have been clearly in the running for the Heisman. He was that good.

You can't judge athletes against each other if they are from drastically different eras. You have to judge them against their peers at the time. Castleberry's accomplishments are historic in his time. This is an argument nobody can win. Lothridge was my alltime favorite player who was in Heisman contention in his time and stared in one of Tech's greatest wins against Alabama. He could not get on the field with todays athletes but that does not change how good he was in his time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You can't judge athletes against each other if they are from drastically different eras. You have to judge them against their peers at the time. Castleberry's accomplishments are historic in his time. This is an argument nobody can win. Lothridge was my alltime favorite player who was in Heisman contention in his time and stared in one of Tech's greatest wins against Alabama. He could not get on the field with todays athletes but that does not change how good he was in his time.
This is the reason I didn't counter. We can discuss it, but there's no real direct comparison because everything is relative. If Tony Hollings was born in 1924 and was eligible to play at GT, he wouldn't have been the same size or as fast as he was in 2000. But neither would the defenders.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If Tony Hollings was born in 1924 and was eligible to play at GT, he wouldn't have been the same size or as fast as he was in 2000. But neither would the defenders.

He might have been. We'll never know. Those guys never got the chance to show it. Anybody watch the '51 Dons on ESPNC? Those two they had were so vastly superior to everyone on the field that it makes me wonder.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Eric, given the attrition on the D line in the off season you see any of the incoming O linemen be moved to the D line? I know Gary Brown played DT in HS as well as OL. Your thoughts?
Oddly Shaq supposedly was the real deal at DT in hi school.We needed him there also but based on what has happened ,it worked out for the best.Scary how thin we have been on both lines.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Oddly Shaq supposedly was the real deal at DT in hi school.We needed him there also but based on what has happened ,it worked out for the best.Scary how thin we have been on both lines.

Shaq was a beast as a D tackle in HS, I saw him in person several times. I loved his play as a D tackle but you could see his future was on the O line. He just mauled opposing d linemen!