Freshman...

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
our senior class is mercifully almost done. A very underperforming group this year. It's given our Freshmen wide open door though. How did they look last night? I saw some good hustle out of C-H and Mitchell. What did others see from our future starters?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I continue to be impressed with Mitchell.
Henderson looks to be getting his sea legs.
Saint Amour will bless many a quarterback before he's done. No he wasn't in the backfield every play but looked to be active and actually in possession of actual pass rushing techniques.

Glimmers of bright spots for next year and beyond ...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Brant Mitchell is going to be really good. He's always around the ball
So is A.J. Gray. I wish he wasn't hurt
Saint Amour played pretty well last night, but still has a ways to go

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
These kids are my only solace in watching this season play out. I also thought Klock and Bryan played well at T early on last night.
It's fun watching those big guys get out and block in space. Lots of potential there. I saw Klock make a few and miss a few but that's part of the learning curve for a freshman.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My hope is that these freshmen/RS freshmen will not get as discouraged as some of our fan-base have become. I hope they continue to grow into their new roles and I am encouraged by their "don't quit" attitude. I want to believe, NO I have to believe, that what we are going through this year will bring these younger guys closer and our team chemistry will be the better for it.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What has happened to Keyshon Freeman, he's gone mia this season it seems like

This is one of two dozen things that didn't go as expected this year. Last year as a 215 pound true freshmen he was a pretty good pass rushing threat. So with a year's experience and more size and many more practices he gets better, right? I have no idea what his sacks and hurries totals are, but I think they must be lower. In fact, as a team, we have to be in the lowest 10 percent in sacks and hurries as a team.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Why does our fan base think that if a player makes 1 play and mucks up 10 he is a stud?
Perhaps we could have one thread this week that isn't critical of our players? Our seniors haven't done much but these 18 year olds are certainly doing no worse. Especially considering their limited time in the system. Nobody called anybody a stud. 10 months ago these kids were trying to figure out the SAT. None of them should even be on the field but they are and they are contributing.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
How was that statement critical of any player? I'd say your opening post is pretty critical of our seniors. You know the players that have spent 4 or 5 years in the program that you thankfully called mercifully over for them. If you would have stated "2015 season" I wouldn't have a problem with your response. You are acting like next year could be saved by a bunch of sophomores that you already "dubbed" future starters.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not a fan of threads that piss on any of our players...much less a whole class. The seniors were a big part of our Orange Bowl season. If you don't have the maturity to value that at least, please have the maturity to recognize they put in a hell of a lot more heart and actual work than anyone on this board doesand stfu.

To be clear...I'm not referring to criticism of missing assignments etc...that's fair game. But please don't criticize their character.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What has happened to Keyshon Freeman, he's gone mia this season it seems like

A lot of this has to do with two things. First, he's drawing a lot of double teams. Second - especially noticeable to me last night - he doesn't have Gotsis to attract attention of RBs held back to block on passing downs.

I think Freeman has done pretty well this year, but nobody can carry a pass rush on his own. He'll be even better next year, I think.

As to the others:

• I've said before that Mitchell reminds me a lot of Ron Rodgers. Not as fast as Brooking, but with a real nose for the ball and all the physical tools. Now, if we can just find a Brooking to team him with …

* Saint Amour and Cerge-Henderson don't really know what they are doing yet. When they get things figured out, both could be standouts. I thought C-H played extremely well, given that he was fairly quickly gassed. He'll get over that.

• MLD belongs back at BB. He's out of position at AB and can't show his talent effectively. For the time being he's stuck, but his best days are in front of him.

• Bryan and Klock looked ok, but I didn't see a great improvement from them over Joe and Chamberlain. But, again, I bet this isn't where these two will end up. I think they'll end up fighting for Braun's place.

Big Problem = this was the year for Quaid, Cotrell, Benson, Leggett, and Searcy to get game experience. Instead, all are on the bench. And we sure could use them. Soooooo … hit the weights, guys.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
How was that statement critical of any player? I'd say your opening post is pretty critical of our seniors. You know the players that have spent 4 or 5 years in the program that you thankfully called mercifully over for them. If you would have stated "2015 season" I wouldn't have a problem with your response. You are acting like next year could be saved by a bunch of sophomores that you already "dubbed" future starters.
Nope, I specifically said this season. With the exception of Gotsis, none had a strong season. I fully recognize they were a very big part of last year but that doesn't change this years results. They've played hard but unfortunately it hasn't gone well for most from either an injury or results standpoint. I hate it for those guys that they will go out this way. It sucks much worse for them than any of us fans, but has opened the door for a pretty strong group of freshman, several who have passed upperclassmen on the depth chart. A few are already starting so I think the coaches dubbed them starters. This season has been hard to watch. I'm hopeful but not unrealistic about the future. Most on this board were ecstatic about our recruiting class last year. The whole thread is about those guys and their progress.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Big Problem = this was the year for Quaid, Cotrell, Benson, Leggett, and Searcy to get game experience. Instead, all are on the bench. And we sure could use them. Soooooo … hit the weights, guys.

Especially the true freshman. Pretty sure they'd have crack the rotation...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
our senior class is mercifully almost done. A very underperforming group this year. It's given our Freshmen wide open door though. How did they look last night? I saw some good hustle out of C-H and Mitchell. What did others see from our future starters?

what is interesting with the FR playing is how average the other upperclass guys are and all those weak recruiting seasons finally caught up with PJ

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
what is interesting with the FR playing is how average the other upperclass guys are and all those weak recruiting seasons finally caught up with PJ

In my opinion, I think the attrition from the 13 class caught up with us. I feel that is why we are forced to play so many freshmen bc the depth from what would have been upperclassmen of the 13 class is all gone. In terms of backs we lost both our recruits, Custis and Wilson. In regards to D-line, we lost akins, Commissiong, and robbins. We also lost Ty Griffen who I am sure could have contributed in some capacity this season.