Freshman Who Impressed

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Great to see Henderson impressing with his speed - an area we are weak in at linebacker
I've already said this, imo Henderson is the best game ready LB coming in, and possibly the best game ready player, with Jaytlin. The only thing working against Henderson is size and maybe strength. He looks more like a S right now.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I've already said this, imo Henderson is the best game ready LB coming in, and possibly the best game ready player, with Jaytlin. The only thing working against Henderson is size and maybe strength. He looks more like a S right now.

Yeah, he's like 197. Eventually he's probably a 215 lb heat seeking missile at LB, but for the time being, he's probably a little light in the britches to contribute.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, he's like 197. Eventually he's probably a 215 lb heat seeking missile at LB, but for the time being, he's probably a little light in the britches to contribute.

As an every down player I agree. However good players who are undersized can be very effective in spot play (agree that he may not be ready for a physical beating on every play) and I can see a good coverage LB coming in passing situations where it is highly likely route coverage will be his assignment. In fact that is a weakness in our third down LB play that could be addressed with a little coaching creativity.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Have to say that hearing about the performance of the freshman in camp is one area I always look forward to. It is great to see impressive high school tape but the transition to college is a huge one that some players can't make successfully. It is especially great to hear in camp from the coaches about players they believe can contribute as freshman. As many have stated, our depth and talent this year looks strong in many areas and freshmen that can earn regular playing time are worth getting excited about.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
As an every down player I agree. However good players who are undersized can be very effective in spot play (agree that he may not be ready for a physical beating on every play) and I can see a good coverage LB coming in passing situations where it is highly likely route coverage will be his assignment. In fact that is a weakness in our third down LB play that could be addressed with a little coaching creativity.

a GLARING weakness is 3rd down def,we were one THE WORST in the nation last yr in getting off the field on 3rd down--we need HELP

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I blame 3rd down problems on the way our D plays so loose on the edges. Quick outs or swing passes with too much room. UNC killed us with that and they would shoot Switzer on a fly for a big one. Glad that little dude is gone. We need to start owning UNC again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Secondary is a concern every year... did you watch the UNC game last season?
I will have to disagree with you here. The secondary is our strong point and shouldn't be much of a concern. When the DL can't get to the QB, it will make your DB's look bad. Also playing 10 yards off the ball against UNC and letting them catch quick routes is not on the players, but on the play calling/ adjustments to stop that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I will have to disagree with you here. The secondary is our strong point and shouldn't be much of a concern. When the DL can't get to the QB, it will make your DB's look bad. Also playing 10 yards off the ball against UNC and letting them catch quick routes is not on the players, but on the play calling/ adjustments to stop that.
I remember someone saying the db's choose their own cushion.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just watched Hendersons senior film and I am excited to see what the coaches can do with him. If he can get up to 215-220 and maintain most of his speed he will have the potential to be very very good for us.