Freddie Burden cleared

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
He sat down next to me in one of my classes. He was saying he's almost back to 100% and that he is really anxious to get back to playing. He also said that he was gonna try to get a medical redshirt and once he gets his bachelors degree, he can get his graduate degree or maybe transfer to another school.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He sat down next to me in one of my classes. He was saying he's almost back to 100% and that he is really anxious to get back to playing. He also said that he was gonna try to get a medical redshirt and once he gets his bachelors degree, he can get his graduate degree or maybe transfer to another school.

So, it wasn't one of his classes but yours? Half way thru the lecture he wanders in while you're listening to an Indian read the published lecture notes and starts talking to you about football? That's pretty cool.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sucks a sophomore is already thinking of transferring out of our program. Next year he will be a RS soph, giving him next year and two after. Which means if he doesnt get a medical RS then he potentially has two years more here then transfers for one year. Ugh. Hope he gets in to grad school here or does another major.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fair enough. I guess I just disagree. Again, I'm not saying our OL was great, but I think that we had more problems with perimeter blocking from A-Backs and WRs this year and last than we did in 2008 and 2009.

I can't remember if any of our opponents in 2008 and 2009 lined up on D like they all do now. I think Iowa in the 2009 OB was the first one or the first one to do it well. I'm pretty sure that CU in 2008 and 2009 used the same sort of D that Syracuse used this year, I think it's called a Double Eagle or Bear front, something like that. Compare what GT did against that front this year to our performance in those previous years. The Iowa, now ACC, D vs GT is not a blueprint but it does stress the OL more than other fronts and requires the QB to be able to make quick option reads and pick up stunts better.

Again, we averaged 30 pts/game against BCS AQ opponents and probably average 2+ fewer drives/game than most. When you consider that we're doing that without being able to run much option, I've got to think that we've got a better than average OL. Yeah, it's not yet top 15 but, and it's not great in pass protection on downs where we have to pass, but that's not what it was designed for. On regular downs, our pass protection was often better than before, imo.
I think some perspective is required to adequately assess the performance of our OL last season and compare to prior seasons. I have been breaking down DVR slomo recordings of every game since the CPJ era began. I usually watch pretty closely what is going on in the trenches and watch each play several times. This is what I see:

1. The 2013 OL was the most physical, at the point of attack, we have had yet.
2. Most of the problems blocking came at the second level out in space with whiffs or passing up tacklers.
3. Losing Bailey at RT was devastating.
4. It took too long to figure out that Chamberlain couldn't handle the RT job yet. He was a central figure in the major lapses during our losing streak.
5. Braun was a little slow to get started, but he came on as the season progressed.
6. We faced more creative blitzing schemes against the run (and the pass for that matter), with greater numbers too, than we have any other year by far. It was a far less passive mindset by opposing DCs. They might be talking to each other. One of the few teams not to employ this tactic got beat 56-0. In short, we faced a lot more pressure in 2013. Obviously, they knew Vad wasn't making the quickest of decisions and he was having trouble with reads etc and were trying to exploit that weakness.
7. Jay Finch was way under appreciated.
8. There were too many penalties. That is what is most disappointing to me.
9. There is reason to be excited about many of the second string players who saw the field this year. (Roberts, Brigham, O'Reilly)
10. I don't have an opinion on Burden, the subject of this thread, because I have never seen him play.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
So, it wasn't one of his classes but yours? Half way thru the lecture he wanders in while you're listening to an Indian read the published lecture notes and starts talking to you about football? That's pretty cool.

As a former Tech student, I know we don't excel in reading comprehension, but WOW! That's what you got from his post?

How about this? He and Freddie sat beside each other in a class one semester at least occasionally. As is typical of two people sitting beside each other in a class, they often engaged in idle chit chat prior to class. One time Freddie mentioned that he was really ready to get back to action on the football field now that he was fully healthy. He couldn't wait to play out his remaining eligibility. Hoped to qualify for a medical redshirt. He wasn't sure if his extra year would involve a masters at Tech or transferring somewhere else for his final year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think some perspective is required to adequately assess the performance of our OL last season and compare to prior seasons. I have been breaking down DVR slomo recordings of every game since the CPJ era began. I usually watch pretty closely what is going on in the trenches and watch each play several times. This is what I see:

1. The 2013 OL was the most physical, at the point of attack, we have had yet.
2. Most of the problems blocking came at the second level out in space with whiffs or passing up tacklers.
3. Losing Bailey at RT was devastating.
4. It took too long to figure out that Chamberlain couldn't handle the RT job yet. He was a central figure in the major lapses during our losing streak.
5. Braun was a little slow to get started, but he came on as the season progressed.
6. We faced more creative blitzing schemes against the run (and the pass for that matter), with greater numbers too, than we have any other year by far. It was a far less passive mindset by opposing DCs. They might be talking to each other. One of the few teams not to employ this tactic got beat 56-0. In short, we faced a lot more pressure in 2013. Obviously, they knew Vad wasn't making the quickest of decisions and he was having trouble with reads etc and were trying to exploit that weakness.
7. Jay Finch was way under appreciated.
8. There were too many penalties. That is what is most disappointing to me.
9. There is reason to be excited about many of the second string players who saw the field this year. (Roberts, Brigham, O'Reilly)
10. I don't have an opinion on Burden, the subject of this thread, because I have never seen him play.
I haven't watched the games as closely as you but fwiw this fits my impression.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Maybe over-stating but finding a GOOD replacement for the Ctr position is the key for the Offense--he
makes the snap and blocking call every play,if that goes bad the OL blocks wrong and the run game goes nowhere,run game stops the pass game dies,etc-house of cards

One of the big reasons I am concerned overall.We putting this key position in the hands of a guy coming off major surgery not playing in a yr or a guy who has had next to no exp

Last edited:

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
As a former Tech student, I know we don't excel in reading comprehension, but WOW! That's what you got from his post?

How about this? He and Freddie sat beside each other in a class one semester at least occasionally. As is typical of two people sitting beside each other in a class, they often engaged in idle chit chat prior to class. One time Freddie mentioned that he was really ready to get back to action on the football field now that he was fully healthy. He couldn't wait to play out his remaining eligibility. Hoped to qualify for a medical redshirt. He wasn't sure if his extra year would involve a masters at Tech or transferring somewhere else for his final year.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was pretty obvious what I was trying to say, but as an engineering student, I'm not always great with words. We're both taking the same health class. The teacher told us to get into groups so I asked him how football was going.