Frank Broyles dies

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
The news is all over sports media:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/fans-reac...te-frank-broyles-dies/iElDBZFoMejGQDLTGnLKHL/

Yes, Broyles is a legend for his decades at Arkansas, but it should never be forgotten that he was a very successful QB at Tech in the '40s, and an assistant coach to Dodd for six years during that incredible Tech run in the early 1950s.

Broyles in his latter years was quite noted for his work concerning Alzheimers, particularly the caregivers. Worth checking out: https://www.broylesfoundation.com/

The news is all over sports media:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/fans-reac...te-frank-broyles-dies/iElDBZFoMejGQDLTGnLKHL/

Yes, Broyles is a legend for his decades at Arkansas, but it should never be forgotten that he was a very successful QB at Tech in the '40s, and an assistant coach to Dodd for six years during that incredible Tech run in the early 1950s.

Broyles in his latter years was quite noted for his work concerning Alzheimers, particularly the caregivers. Worth checking out: https://www.broylesfoundation.com/
A damn good Jacket, and the pride of Decatur High. He never failed to praise Coach Dodd, and acknowledge the contributions that Georgia Tech made to his life.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I knew this was coming, but I'm still saddened. Coach Broyles was a class act from the start. I remember when the Texas - Arkansas game was THE big game of the year in the SW. I always enjoyed watching Broyles face off against the Texans.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My Dad played baseball with Coach Broyles at Tech. Dad told us what a great athlete Broyles was and a few years later, we were playing golf at a local course and were eating lunch when told that Coach Broyles had been there all week. Another member told us he had shot 72 from the tournament tees and was back out for another 18.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember hearing something back in the early 60's about him. Broyles said his biggest problem at Arkansas is that businesses would not cash his checks. He was so popular they would frame the check and put it on the wall rather than cash it, so he could never balance his checkbook.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
When Dodd retired, Coach Broyles was the first one Dodd approached to replace him. Coach Broyles recommended Doug Dickey at Tennessee and Dodd had made an agreement with Dickey to become head coach at Tech only to find upon his return to Atlanta that the President of Georgia Tech. had hired Bud Carson.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
0, 0 ,2, 3, 1,and 1 are the number of losses during his tenure as oc at ga tech (51-56).

The award for top ast coach football is named after him and uni my opinion due to the great run he and Dodd had.. a good asst is loyal

Gt football = Heisman award for top player, Broyles award for top ast coach, Dodd award for top coach, Homer Rice award for athletic director. He is a big part of the gt football legacy.

(Would be cool if we highlighted this more and even better if we had a top rate "tech" course of study in sports performance management . A major in business with a minor in s p m would be a great degree for those interested in coaching leading to ad career. )

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When Dodd retired, Coach Broyles was the first one Dodd approached to replace him. Coach Broyles recommended Doug Dickey at Tennessee and Dodd had made an agreement with Dickey to become head coach at Tech only to find upon his return to Atlanta that the President of Georgia Tech. had hired Bud Carson.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
0, 0 ,2, 3, 1,and 1 are the number of losses during his tenure as oc at ga tech (51-56).

The award for top ast coach football is named after him and uni my opinion due to the great run he and Dodd had.. a good asst is loyal

Gt football = Heisman award for top player, Broyles award for top ast coach, Dodd award for top coach, Homer Rice award for athletic director. He is a big part of the gt football legacy.

(Would be cool if we highlighted this more and even better if we had a top rate "tech" course of study in sports performance management . A major in business with a minor in s p m would be a great degree for those interested in coaching leading to ad career. )

Oh hell yeah, but afraid too many would whine about their degree being devalued

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When you look at the coaching tree, you have to look back to Gen. Neyland at Tennessee. He gave us Bobby Dodd. And Bobby Dodd gave us Graves (Florida), Broyles (Ark) and many more. A view to coaching, personal excellence, and just all around being a good person ... hard to duplicate today. And how I wish Broyles would have returned to Tech.

Does anyone remember when Curry was recruited as coach? Holy cow ... we were on the verge of shutting the program. They looked at Norm van Brocklin (good grief). But a Tech man in the role ... he might get it. Say what you want about Curry ... he and Homer Rice saved the Program. I still maintain that Curry could have one one game a year and he's still be coach. I think every co-ed at Tech got wet just listening to him ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well t
Off season thread - notes for discussion follow.

The Hill - what national award is named for a tech prez, dean of students, p
famous engr teacher? I am curious.

So per above - The retiring head coach and his assistant ( both of whom have major awards named for them ) have their recommendation over ruled by the hill. I was there and bud c was way less than prepared to lead Gt.
Is
The explanation - the hill gets $ from Gt research group with little effort on their part and they do what the Board Of Regents signals. Uga is on all that is not Gt which is A research (ONLY) institute. The hill is a passive partner to Gt football - examples of where wrong.