Francis Kallon Updates?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure how anyone would know a thing about this, but does anyone have info about Kallon's development? I am guessing that he needs more time to get a feel for the game, and we won't hear or see much until the spring. I doubt he is getting a whole lot of work during the season.

I am still excited about this kid. If he can begin to contribute as a RS sophomore, he just might get the experience he needs to be a hoss as a RS junior.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, I was actually wondering a couple days ago if he had fallen off the map. Haven't heard anything about him all season, which was surprising given our DL struggles.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious about all of them at this point. Gamble is huge too, where is his development? Chungong?
All three came in together and haven't sniffed the field, where they riffs? I mean they can't be any worse than what we currently trotting out there. Get these guys in the game and see what they can do? I don't really understand continuing to redshirt Commissong at this point either.
Let's see what these kids got.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious about all of them at this point. Gamble is huge too, where is his development? Chungong?
All three came in together and haven't sniffed the field, where they riffs? I mean they can't be any worse than what we currently trotting out there. Get these guys in the game and see what they can do? I don't really understand continuing to redshirt Commissong at this point either.

I would like to see Chungong and Gamble get some playing time, even spot duty at this point to see where they are in their development. Commissong I'm good with RS just for the year in the weight room and begin to physically mature, along with Atkins and Robbins.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

You know, I've been wondering about DLine rotation overall. From my layman's perspective, it seems that other (more successful) defenses aren't afraid to rotate guys in so they're fresh for 4 qtrs. Now, obviously, places may have better talent/depth than us but still. You gotta spell lineman effectively, no?

I'd love to hear from those who know the game better than I do.

Keeping guys fresh will be paramount this week in Utah in particular.

ToddM

Growing pains. That's what we are feeling.

Do you guys remember when you were kids and for some unknown reason your legs would ache as you lay in bed. My mom would say 'ah you are just growing'.

That's what Tech is doing. When your legs hurt you wondered what it would take to stop it, the answer was to grow up.

If we rush players into the game because we want to win now, we are just rubbing the pain out. The new players will still have to learn and improve but the problem is they will be doing it in the game.

We have to let the process of growing play out folks, putting in the young players hoping the pain will stop isn't the answer. The pain will stop when we have studs on the field who can be spotted by the studs off the field and you don't have the studs off the field without redshirting and development.

The pain will stop but it's a process

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see Chungong and Gamble get some playing time, even spot duty at this point to see where they are in their development. Commissong I'm good with RS just for the year in the weight room and begin to physically mature, along with Atkins and Robbins.

I don't know kid is already 300+ pounds, and I read reports he was disruptive in camp. It's frustrating cause honestly the DLine as of now ain't getting it done. I don't understand why is it a struggle to play freshman, it's not like the RS seniors are blowing doors or that we have enough depth. Receiver and OLine too. Put Shamire & Juene out there it can't be any worse.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know kid is already 300+ pounds, and I read reports he was disruptive in camp. It's frustrating cause honestly the DLine as of now ain't getting it done. I don't understand why is it a struggle to play freshman, it's not like the RS seniors are blowing doors or that we have enough depth. Receiver and OLine too. Put Shamire & Juene out there it can't be any worse.

ATL1 I understand what you're saying re: Commissong but IMO it's better for the player and the team to RS freshmen linemen 95% of the time. Chris Griffin had a great camp but at 270 Lbs he just isn't physically ready to play at a D1 level as a freshman. Gotsis was a 20 year freshman but it's a big difference between 17-18 and 20.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
ATL1 I understand what you're saying re: Commissong but IMO it's better for the player and the team to RS freshmen linemen 95% of the time. Chris Griffin had a great camp but at 270 Lbs he just isn't physically ready to play at a D1 level as a freshman. Gotsis was a 20 year freshman but it's a big difference between 17-18 and 20.

VERY true.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's not forget that for any student the academic expectations at GT are likely far beyond what they encountered in high school. A redshirt freshman year helps them get acclimated to the academics (as well as allowing them to start knocking out the Calculus and Lab Sciences).

I was in the top ~2% of my high school class and GT still kicked my *** freshman year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Is this a nice way of say Dieke ain't gettin' it done:

On opening up competition for playing time, particularly between ends Emmanuel Dieke and Anthony Williams: “We’re just trying to give guys an opportunity. We’re not having as much production out of some positions that we want, so we’re trying to give some guys opportunity and I think that’s fair.”

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
This year notwithstanding, we're going to be in trouble for awhile unless someone steps up @ the SDE spot. Who do we really have in the wings there? I'm thinking the next impact guy is still in high school. IIRC, Akins has gotten big enough to play inside and will probably do so, so we've got a serious backlog inside but no one out on the strong side.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This year notwithstanding, we're going to be in trouble for awhile unless someone steps up @ the SDE spot. Who do we really have in the wings there? I'm thinking the next impact guy is still in high school. IIRC, Akins has gotten big enough to play inside and will probably do so, so we've got a serious backlog inside but no one out on the strong side.

Could well be Atkins and Robbins

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Dieke has been struggling. We need help.

Atkins in inside now last I heard...We do have a problem at DE. I would guess Robbins is the next young DE.