Foster (retiring at year end): VT defensive player/recruits venerable?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I just read a article stating Bud Foster will retire from his VT DC role to begin a new role there in which he will report to the AD at VT.
Does this mean that we may benefit from this move either in the form of transfers or in picking up recruits this year and upcoming seasons? I find it interesting that this move was broadcast now as the recruiting for 2020 is cranking up with official offers. What do you all think will be the results of this announcement will be?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
VT has had pretty poor recruiting this year haven't they? Not sure there is a lot of overlap in recruits we were targeting anyway.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Not really sure because I don’t follow them. However I would say that making this known publicly puts you at a disadvantage as you recruit and may encourage your current players to flirt with other opportunities via the transfer portal and diminish your authority with players and harm morale as they prepare for the season knowing you are leaving.
Jamious Griffin’s brother plays for them

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
VT has had pretty poor recruiting this year haven't they? Not sure there is a lot of overlap in recruits we were targeting anyway.

Yeah think they have one guy who we offered. DE with some other decent offers. Other than that they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel.

They have some decent signees over the last couple cycles. Not sure how many have already transferred out with the big wave they had in the offseason.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't think this will effect us much, if at all, recruiting-wise. I'm not sure how many guys commit because of a DC, anyway.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
He did not coach the last 2 years like in the past. Maybe not getting the head coaching bothered him more than he acted.

In 2017 their defense was excellent as usual. 2018 was an anomaly for them - basically no experience on D and a lot of injuries. Their D will be good again this year.

I don't know that this will help us much from a recruiting perspective, but I think one of our division rivals losing one of the best assistants in the nation definitely helps us. I think Frank Beamer owes most of his legacy to Bud Foster (if Bud Foster had left VPI 25 years ago, I'm not sure many of us would even remember Frank Beamer's name). This is a huge blow to them.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
In 2017 their defense was excellent as usual. 2018 was an anomaly for them - basically no experience on D and a lot of injuries. Their D will be good again this year.

I don't know that this will help us much from a recruiting perspective, but I think one of our division rivals losing one of the best assistants in the nation definitely helps us. I think Frank Beamer owes most of his legacy to Bud Foster (if Bud Foster had left VPI 25 years ago, I'm not sure many of us would even remember Frank Beamer's name). This is a huge blow to them.

He owes most of his legacy to the Vicks and Tyrod. With the Fuller family deserving a mention.

I just read a article stating Bud Foster will retire from his VT DC role to begin a new role there in which he will report to the AD at VT.
Does this mean that we may benefit from this move either in the form of transfers or in picking up recruits this year and upcoming seasons? I find it interesting that this move was broadcast now as the recruiting for 2020 is cranking up with official offers. What do you all think will be the results of this announcement will be?
Didn't you mean "vulnerable," not "venerable" for the thread title?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Strip the fluff from this and it means "He was fired." He will be rewarded with a nice job for keeping his mouth shut. Too bad, but truth is his defenses have suffered over the past couple or three years -- ever think we would roll up 49 points on a Foster defense? It also points out the hazards of college choice for prime athletes. A couple of years ago VT got a terrific linebacker out of NC in a real recruiting battle with Clemson, and the main reason supposedly was that the father thought Foster was a better DC than Venables. Good reason for daddies to butt the hell out of the final selection.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Strip the fluff from this and it means "He was fired." He will be rewarded with a nice job for keeping his mouth shut. Too bad, but truth is his defenses have suffered over the past couple or three years -- ever think we would roll up 49 points on a Foster defense? It also points out the hazards of college choice for prime athletes. A couple of years ago VT got a terrific linebacker out of NC in a real recruiting battle with Clemson, and the main reason supposedly was that the father thought Foster was a better DC than Venables. Good reason for daddies to butt the hell out of the final selection.

Last year was only the third time since 2007 (2018, 2015, & 2011) that his D didn't finish in the top 25 of DFEI. Last year was also the VT version of 2015 GT with all their injuries.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Read between the lines.
We’re going to clean house after this year. Bud, you’ll be rewarded for your past performance. New guy gets to pick all of his coaches.

slugboy

Staff member
Read between the lines.
We’re going to clean house after this year. Bud, you’ll be rewarded for your past performance. New guy gets to pick all of his coaches.

If you were going to fire Fuente, last year seems like it was the time. General thinking is that they’ll have a good year and have a lot of good players back (even if this year’s recruiting is looking poor)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk