Forum Tip - How to use the ignore feature to make your time on GTSwarm more enjoyable.

slugboy

Staff member
We have a lot of posters on GTSwarm. Even if you like 99% of the posters here, that 1% is going to make your time here less fun.

With all the disruption of both a new football Head Coaching search AND a new AD search, we’re going to see a lot of posts that some of us think are just nuts.

When mods suggest that you “ignore” a user, we’re not telling you to tough it out. There’s a magic button on everyone’s profile. When you see something stupid, you have three choices:

1. report it to the mods. If it’s offensive conduct or against the rules, we’ll do something. If it’s just idiotic, then there are the other options
  2. reply to the poster. They may change their minds. You may change your mind. It happens, but not frequently
  3. summon up your intestinal fortitude and grit your way through the stupid post. There’s only so much grit most of us have, so make sure that this is really the option you want.
  4. Or, you can hit the magic “Ignore” button. It makes GTSwarm a little more like Eden, frankly.
It’s not weakness to hit the Ignore button. It’s definitely not weaker than hitting the “reply” button. It’s not revenge—there’s no need to tell the stupid poster you put them on “Ignore”; just let them post idiotic things while you bask in the warmth of never seeing them unless someone else takes option #2 above.

You can’t ignore mods—sorry. It’s probably worth ignoring mods, but we can’t do our job if you ignore us, so the feature won’t let you block us. We’ll try not to post idiotic stuff often.

Anyway, I’m not picking on Techster in particular (Sorry @Techster), but it was the easiest screenshot.
  1. When you see a stupid post, click on the poster’s name
  2. There’s a magic Ignore button
  3. Click it
  4. Feel warm and toasty. Enjoy your favorite treat—coffee, chocolate, whatever
8A7EBC54-27B8-410B-9739-5EB882D0EE8D.jpeg

JacketFan137

Banned
why is there no feature to flat out block people? even if you ignore someone they are still able to reply to your posts. seems like a bit of a privacy concern to me

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of posters on GTSwarm. Even if you like 99% of the posters here, that 1% is going to make your time here less fun.

With all the disruption of both a new football Head Coaching search AND a new AD search, we’re going to see a lot of posts that some of us think are just nuts.

When mods suggest that you “ignore” a user, we’re not telling you to tough it out. There’s a magic button on everyone’s profile. When you see something stupid, you have three choices:

1. report it to the mods. If it’s offensive conduct or against the rules, we’ll do something. If it’s just idiotic, then there are the other options
  2. reply to the poster. They may change their minds. You may change your mind. It happens, but not frequently
  3. summon up your intestinal fortitude and grit your way through the stupid post. There’s only so much grit most of us have, so make sure that this is really the option you want.
  4. Or, you can hit the magic “Ignore” button. It makes GTSwarm a little more like Eden, frankly.
It’s not weakness to hit the Ignore button. It’s definitely not weaker than hitting the “reply” button. It’s not revenge—there’s no need to tell the stupid poster you put them on “Ignore”; just let them post idiotic things while you bask in the warmth of never seeing them unless someone else takes option #2 above.

You can’t ignore mods—sorry. It’s probably worth ignoring mods, but we can’t do our job if you ignore us, so the feature won’t let you block us. We’ll try not to post idiotic stuff often.

Anyway, I’m not picking on Techster in particular (Sorry @Techster), but it was the easiest screenshot.
  3. Click it
View attachment 13202

200w.gif

slugboy

Staff member
why is there no feature to flat out block people? even if you ignore someone they are still able to reply to your posts. seems like a bit of a privacy concern to me
I’m not getting into privacy law here, but this is a PUBLIC forum. You need an account to post and reply, but what you post is generally public. You can look at this site without an account and you can see posts. You can have anonymity by choosing a handle that doesn’t include your name or email (and we recommend that), but again your posts are public (and not “private”).

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Going to go out on a limb and say that the select few this message is intended for would never use the ignore feature because they actually and secretly like endlessly arguing on the internet.

Prove me wrong you few. :sneaky:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'm a first amendment guy all the way, but I just added the first person to my ignore list.

Folks have the right to say whatever negative stuff they like...and I have the right to not listen to them.

Buh-bye.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm a first amendment guy all the way, but I just added the first person to my ignore list.

Folks have the right to say whatever negative stuff they like...and I have the right to not listen to them.

Buh-bye.
GTSwarm posting has almost nothing to do with the First Amendment, which specifically protects the right of speech free from government censure and reprisals. Unless someone elected Slugboy as the next esteemed Senator from GA, you've got zero rights here! ;)

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
A word of warning about the ignore feature: I just discovered that if someone on your ignore list creates a thread, that entire thread (including posts from non-ignored posters) is hidden from you. I found such a thread by searching the forum for a keyword and some posts from non-ignored users showed up in the results which allowed me to backdoor into the thread. I tried "watching" the thread but it still didn't show up under my watch list. Once I unignored the OP of the thread everything showed up normally.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A word of warning about the ignore feature: I just discovered that if someone on your ignore list creates a thread, that entire thread (including posts from non-ignored posters) is hidden from you. I found such a thread by searching the forum for a keyword and some posts from non-ignored users showed up in the results which allowed me to backdoor into the thread. I tried "watching" the thread but it still didn't show up under my watch list. Once I unignored the OP of the thread everything showed up normally.
This is why I "ignored" some fonts. I didn't want to see the thread in my forum list. Every time I saw the title, it pissed me off. So, now I just don't see the entire thread. The unfortunate part is when someone you like to follow is the one you have to ignore to make the thread go away.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah. An "Ignore Thread" feature would be nice.
Good luck here pal. The mods have this thread on ignore I am guessing. Along with the $$$, "personal assistants", expense accounts, country club memberships, lavish Christmas bonuses, and company cars, the ability to ignore threads is also one of the perks. Only us commoners are going to see your plea for help. The staff is at their annual year end retreat in the Maldives. They don't have time for this nonsense during this Yule bacchanal and, even if they did, are probably too intoxicated to respond. IIWII. In case my membership here somehow runs into "technical difficulties" and I can't post again, Merry Christmas my friend. 🎅;)🎄I thought your idea was brilliant.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Good luck here pal. The mods have this thread on ignore I am guessing. Along with the $$$, "personal assistants", expense accounts, country club memberships, lavish Christmas bonuses, and company cars, the ability to ignore threads is also one of the perks. Only us commoners are going to see your plea for help. The staff is at their annual year end retreat in the Maldives. They don't have time for this nonsense during this Yule bacchanal and, even if they did, are probably too intoxicated to respond. IIWII. In case my membership here somehow runs into "technical difficulties" and I can't post again, Merry Christmas my friend. 🎅;)🎄I thought your idea was brilliant.
In all seriousness. I use this site enough I'd be cool with contributing a smidge to help with any hosting costs. I'm not suggesting it move to a 'for pay' site, as there are lots of people on fixed incomes who couldn't kick in. But if there is a 'support GTSwarm' button I've yet to find it. I wouldn't mind buying someone a coffee beer.

GTLab

Georgia Tech Fan

3. Click it
View attachment 13202