Former Temple QB on new Tech OC Dave Patenaude

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I like the uptempo shotgun style. It’s gonna be an interesting look next season but I think it’s about to a lot of fun to watch. I really hope we see some option out of the shotgun as well. I know he ran a decent amount of it at Costal Carolina and the skill set we have on the roster, we should be able to execute an uptempo spread offense with the ability to hit some quick passes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I watched some of my tape of the Louisville game last night. For the first time it sank in with me that we could have run some of those plays out of a "pro set."

What I haven't figured out is how you sell the defense on the idea that you are passing right before you whip an option play on them. The wildcat formation, for instance, always looks like a run to me.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The fun element, hard coaching, and creativity is encouraging and exciting. The mid-tier AAC bottom line results, not so much, especially 3rd down probs.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I watched some of my tape of the Louisville game last night. For the first time it sank in with me that we could have run some of those plays out of a "pro set."

What I haven't figured out is how you sell the defense on the idea that you are passing right before you whip an option play on them. The wildcat formation, for instance, always looks like a run to me.

I’m guessing defenses will assume we can’t throw well and stack the line expecting runs right up to the point that we fire one over the top and burn them with a deep shot. Once we do that a couple times teams will likely defend us the same general way they do everyone else who runs the spread-RPO type systems.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m guessing defenses will assume we can’t throw well and stack the line expecting runs right up to the point that we fire one over the top and burn them with a deep shot. Once we do that a couple times teams will likely defend us the same general way they do everyone else who runs the spread-RPO type systems.

This sounds familiar...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Simple. Run a ton of rpo. The read is the lb. You line up in a formation. Run a traditional pass play. Get the Lb to start guessing pass in that set. And rpo him. If he drops u run if he fits you pass. Easy peasy.

Can do this all day. Its the benefit of his formations. They will run heavy out of shotgun too. You can slam or trap and option off it.

Its no big deal. It will look alot like probably auburn and in the past what clemson did with boyd and to a degree watson. You dont wildcat. U line up in 11 12 or even 20 or 21....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Simple. Run a ton of rpo. The read is the lb. You line up in a formation. Run a traditional pass play. Get the Lb to start guessing pass in that set. And rpo him. If he drops u run if he fits you pass. Easy peasy.

Can do this all day. Its the benefit of his formations. They will run heavy out of shotgun too. You can slam or trap and option off it.

Its no big deal. It will look alot like probably auburn and in the past what clemson did with boyd and to a degree watson. You dont wildcat. U line up in 11 12 or even 20 or 21....
How do we take advantage of our qb's wheels?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

And don't forget we also now have a TE, so it doesn't always have to be a deep shot ...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I like that fine but have slight reservations. Unless you have an elite offensive line those run options out of the shotgun take too long to develop and get blown up.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This sounds familiar...
It's a pretty simple concept, and of course that was our plan in the previous offense when teams crowded us. I'm expecting we'll spend a whole lot more time practicing the passing game (everything from QB reads and throws, OL techniques, WR routes, etc) so we may have more success in that phase to the detriment of a little less success running it when expected. Hopefully we settle on a healthy balance of run/pass that allows us to best utilize our weapons and keep the defense off guard. This type of system is pretty common throughout the NCAA, so we'll at least have a whole lot of tape of most of our opponents defending it to learn their tendencies and weaknesses in how they attack it.