Former Tech great, Billy Martin

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I can't find confirmation of this anywhere, but I heard tonight from a friend that Billy Martin has died. He was a tight end at Tech in the early 60's, in the same class as Billy Lotheridge, with whom he was also a teammate at Gainesville, GA HS
That's so sad:( Billy was an original Atlanta Falcon also. My thoughts and Prayers go out to his family and friends

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember him as a Pop Warner coach at Murphey Candler in Atlanta. He coached one of the other teams we played against in the Yearling League back in the mid '70s. Someone said he'd played for the Falcons, which I thought was a pretty big deal at the time. It wasn't till a few years later I learned that he played at Tech, too.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I remember him as a Pop Warner coach at Murphey Candler in Atlanta. He coached one of the other teams we played against in the Yearling League back in the mid '70s. Someone said he'd played for the Falcons, which I thought was a pretty big deal at the time. It wasn't till a few years later I learned that he played at Tech, too.
He was on the Vikings team that played the Chiefs in Super Bowl lV

Georgia Tech Fan
That was an exciting era for Tech. I believe Lothridge and Martin were known as Mr Kool and the Jolly Giant. I believe every starting lineman on the 63 team played some in the pros. Some of the others were Dave Watson, Rufus Guthrie and Ted Davis. Larry Stallings also played with them I believe but he may not have been in the same class.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't he a key player in the Tech win over Alabama. Maybe a 7-6 win. It was before I arrived as a freshman at Tech in 1964 but he was a legend even then. I also played on a Rec League basketball team in the early 70's with Billy Lothridge while I was in graduate school. He had been cut as a punter and was staying in shape at the YMCA gym on Roswell Rd and hoping to get signed by another team. Those two guys were really something in the history of GT football.

Wasn't he a key player in the Tech win over Alabama. Maybe a 7-6 win. It was before I arrived as a freshman at Tech in 1964 but he was a legend even then. I also played on a Rec League basketball team in the early 70's with Billy Lothridge while I was in graduate school. He had been cut as a punter and was staying in shape at the YMCA gym on Roswell Rd and hoping to get signed by another team. Those two guys were really something in the history of GT football.
Every player on the team was a "key player" in that 1962 Bama game. That was probably the greatest team effort I have ever seen, and the fans in the stands (especially us students) were a part of that effort as well. I don't know if it was the best football game I have ever seen, but it was definitely the most intense and most exciting.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It was a team effort for sure. This was the year after Darwin Holt elbowed our Chick Graning in the face after Chick was coming off the field after the play was over. Chick was my platoon leader in ROTC and spent days in the hospital. This game was humongus for us, and me personally. We kicked butts first half and led 7-0. They ran us all over the field in the 2nd half and scored TD late. They went for 2 and we stopped them at the gold line. Now my memory may be wrong, but I seem to remember that they ran off tackle and our end was a big factor in stopping the 2 point try. It was single platoon football and Billy could possibly have been in on that historical stop. The other end was Ted Davis. I will never forget that game!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned
Speaking of former players, do any of you old timers recall a running back named Jim Warren? Recently discovered a neighbor of mine is related to him but I've never heard the name.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm late posting on this, but Martin was a great player. He would start today for any team out there who used a TE. RIP, Billy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It was a team effort for sure. This was the year after Darwin Holt elbowed our Chick Graning in the face after Chick was coming off the field after the play was over. Chick was my platoon leader in ROTC and spent days in the hospital. This game was humongus for us, and me personally. We kicked butts first half and led 7-0. They ran us all over the field in the 2nd half and scored TD late. They went for 2 and we stopped them at the gold line. Now my memory may be wrong, but I seem to remember that they ran off tackle and our end was a big factor in stopping the 2 point try. It was single platoon football and Billy could possibly have been in on that historical stop. The other end was Ted Davis. I will never forget that game!

The film of that hit is kind of fuzzy and grainy but it sure looks like Holt threw that elbow right at Graning's face. I read a piece just a couple of years ago that Graning, reacting now to the event and rejecting claims from Alabama that it had not happened that way, was quoted as saying "There's only two people in the world who know exactly what happened that way. I was there." Some folks familiar with Graning said he was "too nice a kid to be a truly great football player."

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The film of that hit is kind of fuzzy and grainy but it sure looks like Holt threw that elbow right at Graning's face. I read a piece just a couple of years ago that Graning, reacting now to the event and rejecting claims from Alabama that it had not happened that way, was quoted as saying "There's only two people in the world who know exactly what happened that way. I was there." Some folks familiar with Graning said he was "too nice a kid to be a truly great football player."
Well, I do know at the time there was NEVER any question about what Holt did. Or at least I never heard it and I knew several players.