Former GT Target - Shai McKenzie

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When you said "sick" I thought you meant that in the common vernacular of today's youth. I didn't realize until I read the article that you really meant sick as in sick.

Is it just me or does it seem like there have been several instances where we have (pardoned the expression) lusted after a highly rated player only to have him either be a bust or end up being a real behavior problem after he joined another team?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It could be sick and it looks like it. Innocent until proven guilty, however.

I agree that we might have dodged a major problem, however.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you said "sick" I thought you meant that in the common vernacular of today's youth. I didn't realize until I read the article that you really meant sick as in sick.

Is it just me or does it seem like there have been several instances where we have (pardoned the expression) lusted after a highly rated player only to have him either be a bust or end up being a real behavior problem after he joined another team?
And, what we don't know is how many of the "major" prospects we hear of who end up not being offered/pursued by GT are likewise. Either because of character issues or grades.

Sometimes, when we are scratching our heads wondering why dozens of other schools are "on" a guy and we aren't-- it may be that our coaches have already filtered them out as someone who wouldn't survive at GT. There are 2 things CPJ won't tolerate if he has fair warning-- a "bad apple" or a player who has to be babysat by coaches just to get the grades.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
And, what we don't know is how many of the "major" prospects we hear of who end up not being offered/pursued by GT are likewise. Either because of character issues or grades.

Sometimes, when we are scratching our heads wondering why dozens of other schools are "on" a guy and we aren't-- it may be that our coaches have already filtered them out as someone who wouldn't survive at GT. There are 2 things CPJ won't tolerate if he has fair warning-- a "bad apple" or a player who has to be babysat by coaches just to get the grades.
But this was a guy we were after, so we didn't figure him out. Also, let's remember that we lost about half the 2013 class to attitude issues, even though nothing as bad as Shai Mckenzie, not even close to that...

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
But this was a guy we were after, so we didn't figure him out. Also, let's remember that we lost about half the 2013 class to attitude issues, even though nothing as bad as Shai Mckenzie, not even close to that...
Nobody would question that. You can't see them all coming. My point was more general, and less specifically about him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jumping to a lot of conclusions here. Let this play out. Obviously these guys have no business with 14 and 15 yr. old girls, and if they knew, they should get what'd due. However, I've got 16 yr. old and 14 yr. old sons, and if I didn't know better with some of their friends, I wouldn't be able to tell they weren't college kids. I have a feeling we'll hear more about this, one way or another.

Animal02

Banned
Jumping to a lot of conclusions here. Let this play out. Obviously these guys have no business with 14 and 15 yr. old girls, and if they knew, they should get what'd due. However, I've got 16 yr. old and 14 yr. old sons, and if I didn't know better with some of their friends, I wouldn't be able to tell they weren't college kids. I have a feeling we'll hear more about this, one way or another.

Not to mention that some young girls can be quite aggressive. I used to work with a H.S, had a 14 y.o. come u[ to me and say "why don't you take me home with you" I could not get out of there fast enough. (I was about 38 at the time)

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Whatever happened to statutory rape? Consent use to have nothing to do with having sex with a minor. They will probably give him an award up there in Hokie Land.

Go Jackets!