Former GT commits killing it

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here but looking how well these guys have done, it kind of sucks. I know all teams have guys that decommit. But looking at our biggest weaknesses the past couple of years, 2 or 3 guys could have made the difference between 7 wins and 9 or 10 wins. Think about having Tuitt and Flowers. With Attaochu? Wow.

you're not being a debbie downer at all but pointing out a genuine "knock" our our staff's inability to close on some key guys that can make a significant impact. many of us have been saying for years if we can just land 2-3 of these solid HS recruits who seem to teeter on the edge every year but wander on us. truly can make a difference, IMO. especially with regards to skill positions.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I knew Airyn got in trouble a few times but I had not heard that he was kicked off the team.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Question: How would Tre Jackson do with all the diving on the ground that we do.
Hate seeing posts like this. Please watch the OL and don't just regurgitate what talking heads say who are regurgitating some other talking head. The most significant block for our OL is the drive block. They are going to drive block the DT on the play side on most plays. The second most significant block is blocking a LB in space. Most of the time, that will be a stalk block of some sort where our guy take an angle to cut the LB off. Sometimes it will turn into a cut block if LB is too fast and that's the best way to disrupt his flow. The third most significant block is pulling and kicking out or sealing the DE/OLB on a counter. This will often be a drive block. It can turn into a cut block if that seems to the blocker to be the best way to seal the edge - which is the EXACT same thing every other team's pulling guard does on counters. The fourth most significant block is pass blocking which is NEVER a cut block by our OL. And, finally the fifth most significant block is the scoop block which is simply the backside OL cut blocking the backside DT in order to cut off his pursuit because that is usually the most effective way to disrupt his flow to the playside.

OUR OL NEED TO BE GREAT AT DRIVE BLOCKING FOR OUR SYSTEM TO FUNCTION. Cut blocking is NOT the primary function of our OL. Never has been, never will be, and anybody that says otherwise is ignorant and doesn't actually watch the game.

Now, our AB's cut block the LB much more often and that is a much more significant part of what they do. So, if a talking head is talking about getting cut, he should be talking primarily about a LB getting cut by an AB. Our WR's never cut block. If they're ever talking about a DL getting cut, it's should always be regarding a scoop block on the backside to cut off pursuit, not a straight on cut block where the play is.

And, fyi, Tre was recruited to play DT here (NT in Groh's scheme). He could've ended up on the OL, but either way he would've been a major force and difference maker on either side of the ball for us.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

Watch the first series of this game for an example.
First play pass blocking. No cutting (really bad pass blocking).
Second play, outside QB sweep. The pulling guard who had to resort to a cut because he couldn't seal the DE who kept outside leverage, the OT cuts the LB who is scraping hard to the outside.
Third play, Dive. Only cut is the backside OT who is trying to scoop the DT.
Fourth play, Dive. Same.
Fifth play, Triple. Same backside OT scoop, and OT cutting safety on third level.

The main thing I see is a bunch of guys drive blocking their man and doing it effectively. Without the powerful drive block, we don't have an offense.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. Those were two very informative posts. Would you say that a lot of the time when we see an OL go for a cut block and miss that it's because they are out of position and the cut block is a last ditch effort to stop their guy?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hate seeing posts like this. Please watch the OL and don't just regurgitate what talking heads say who are regurgitating some other talking head. The most significant block for our OL is the drive block. They are going to drive block the DT on the play side on most plays. The second most significant block is blocking a LB in space. Most of the time, that will be a stalk block of some sort where our guy take an angle to cut the LB off. Sometimes it will turn into a cut block if LB is too fast and that's the best way to disrupt his flow. The third most significant block is pulling and kicking out or sealing the DE/OLB on a counter. This will often be a drive block. It can turn into a cut block if that seems to the blocker to be the best way to seal the edge - which is the EXACT same thing every other team's pulling guard does on counters. The fourth most significant block is pass blocking which is NEVER a cut block by our OL. And, finally the fifth most significant block is the scoop block which is simply the backside OL cut blocking the backside DT in order to cut off his pursuit because that is usually the most effective way to disrupt his flow to the playside.

OUR OL NEED TO BE GREAT AT DRIVE BLOCKING FOR OUR SYSTEM TO FUNCTION. Cut blocking is NOT the primary function of our OL. Never has been, never will be, and anybody that says otherwise is ignorant and doesn't actually watch the game.

Now, our AB's cut block the LB much more often and that is a much more significant part of what they do. So, if a talking head is talking about getting cut, he should be talking primarily about a LB getting cut by an AB. Our WR's never cut block. If they're ever talking about a DL getting cut, it's should always be regarding a scoop block on the backside to cut off pursuit, not a straight on cut block where the play is.

And, fyi, Tre was recruited to play DT here (NT in Groh's scheme). He could've ended up on the OL, but either way he would've been a major force and difference maker on either side of the ball for us.

Vamos, I've about given trying to get folks to understand what you posted. Heavy run teams live and die by the DRIVE Blocking by the O lines. The only cut block by design is the back side cut on the DE as you rightly note. Thanks four post!

gtdrew

Banned
Wow. Those were two very informative posts. Would you say that a lot of the time when we see an OL go for a cut block and miss that it's because they are out of position and the cut block is a last ditch effort to stop their guy?
Once the ball makes the perimeter on an offensive play, i'd say it's harder for an ol to square up and drive a guy. Cutting out there makes it easier to make some sort of contact. The drawback is that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you're going to make contact.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Watch the first series of this game for an example.
First play pass blocking. No cutting (really bad pass blocking).
Second play, outside QB sweep. The pulling guard who had to resort to a cut because he couldn't seal the DE who kept outside leverage, the OT cuts the LB who is scraping hard to the outside.
Third play, Dive. Only cut is the backside OT who is trying to scoop the DT.
Fourth play, Dive. Same.
Fifth play, Triple. Same backside OT scoop, and OT cutting safety on third level.

The main thing I see is a bunch of guys drive blocking their man and doing it effectively. Without the powerful drive block, we don't have an offense.

When I watch that film all I can think about is how quick and decisive VL looked. Bummer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When I watch that film all I can think about is how quick and decisive VL looked. Bummer

What? In the other thread you agreed with Rodney that was obviously not quick and decisive enough to run CPJ's offense.

I've obviously missed something.

gtdrew

Banned
What? In the other thread you agreed with Rodney that was obviously not quick and decisive enough to run CPJ's offense.

He certainly wasn't this past season. But "old Vad," the one who was supposed to bring balance to the force, rather than destroy it, he was quick enough.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm talking about 2012 in the UNC game. The kid pinned his ears back in that game. What a difference.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess we agree about Vad and disagree about the point Rodney was trying to make to which you agreed.
I guess I am lost now. I don't know what you are saying. I think Vad is a quick kid and fast too. I think in 2013 he had trouble making reads and was indecisive as well as tentative. This slowed down his effective play, essentially negating his physical abilities, and allowed defenses to pursue with greater efficiency. I just watched a 2012 video clip of Vad QBing the 2012 UNC game. He looked so much faster and aggressive than 2013. What am I missing? If memory serves, Rodney was making a point about, no matter how fast or quick VL is as an athlete, he wasn't playing fast. I concurred with his assessment. At least, this is how I think the conversation went.