Former GT commits killing it

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Stephon Tuitt-We remember him. We had him for like a day. And then he went to ND. We know what happened after that. Great career, All-America honors and now he has declared for the NFL draft.

Tre Jackson-OL for Florida State. All-ACC OL, 6-4, 330 lbs. A BEAST. Got into the line-up at FSU as a sophomore last season and was probably their 2nd best OL this season. He flipped to FSU at the last minute. He will return for his senior season.

Trey Flowers-Some may not remember him. He was only a 2 star recruit at DE. Had offers from South Alabama, UAB and us. He committed to us and at the last minute, went on a recruiting visit to Arkansas. I think he was the guy that took a recruiting visit to Arkansas the last weekend before NSD without an offer and risked his scholarship to GT? For those that don't know, he has had a really good career at Arkansas. He was SEC All-Freshman team, started in 2012 as a sophomore and was 2nd team All-SEC this season.

Honorable mention

Kyle Harris-He was a commit in the 2011 class. He decided to go to South Carolina. Hasn't had the career of the other 3 but he cracked the 2 deep at USC his freshman season in 2011 and got hurt. Missed 2012. He was supposed to compete for a starting job at USC but he transferred.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer here but looking how well these guys have done, it kind of sucks. I know all teams have guys that decommit. But looking at our biggest weaknesses the past couple of years, 2 or 3 guys could have made the difference between 7 wins and 9 or 10 wins. Think about having Tuitt and Flowers. With Attaochu? Wow.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
Think about having Tuitt and Flowers. With Attaochu? Wow.

Yeah if we could have just hit 300 with some of the highly heralded D-linemen we recruited in the past we would have been in good shape. I also remember Faith Ekakitie (Iowa), Dalvin Tomlimson (Bama) and Brandon Thompson (Clemson).

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I remember seeing Ramos getting some catches at NC State earlier this year. I try to forget about those guys and move on. We flipped Harrell at the last minute so it works both ways. Not that he's on the level of Tuitt.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember seeing Ramos getting some catches at NC State earlier this year. I try to forget about those guys and move on. We flipped Harrell at the last minute so it works both ways. Not that he's on the level of Tuitt.
Harrell was looking dang good before he got injured this season though.... Not Tuitt good but he was becoming a beast at lb.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Well this seems to shed a little light on one of our recruiting issues. We don't have much of a problem attracting talented guys the can handle GTs academics, we just have to find a way to close better.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Forgot about Tre Jackson. I've been impressed with Flowers what little I've seen him play. Tuitt, my gosh what could have been!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yep, at a place like GT, just 1 or 2 recruits per year can make all the difference between 10 wins (and beating UGAg) and 7 wins. Success and failure (or, maybe I should say greatness and mediocrity) really ride on the decisions of these 1 or 2 guys each year.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
We just have such a thin margin for error. It's one thing to lose out on recruiting battles on somebody like Dalvin Tomlinson, because you kind of always knew we weren't the top choice. It's another thing altogether to lose out on a Tuitt or Flowers that was actually COMMITTED to us at one point.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Tuitt was committed to ND for a while (months maybe?) before switching to GT for a few days. I'd say ND was the team that had issues keeping its commit moreso than GT.

I would also argue that Stephon was never really committed to GT since it wasn't his decision to make (unfortunately). The "flip" to GT was not made by the decision maker.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I was wondering what happened to Willis since he got to Wake. I do remember that he was actually a HS QB and I believe the reason that he decommited was because Vad was our QB recruit for the class and he was gonna be moved to WR even though he was still wanting to be a QB. Iirc

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering what happened to Willis since he got to Wake. I do remember that he was actually a HS QB and I believe the reason that he decommited was because Vad was our QB recruit for the class and he was gonna be moved to WR even though he was still wanting to be a QB. Iirc

They ran the same offense that we did. I watched him play against my high school team (Reidsville) at a jamboree. He wasn't all that impressive, but I could understand, we had too much speed and talent.

They later moved him back at the WR position. He took a lot of hits, but was their first year running our kind of option.