Former Georgia Tech Coaches and Landing Spots

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Here's a list thus far of where the former coaches ended up (will be continuously updated):

• Paul Johnson (Head Coach): Retired
  • Mike Sewak (Offensive Line Coach): Retired
  • Ron West (Offensive Line Coach): TBD
  • Lamar Owens (A-Backs Coach/Special Teams Coordinator): Georgia Southern Wide Recievers Coach
  • Craig Candeto (Quarterbacks/B-Backs Coach): Austin Peay Running Backs Coach
  • Buzz Preston (Wide Receivers Coach): Retired
  • Nate Woody (Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach): Michigan Defensive Analyst
  • Jerome Riase (Defensive Line Coach): TBD
  • Andy McCollum (Outside Linebackers Coach): TBD
  • Shiel Wood (Safeties Coach): Georgia State Cornerbacks Coach
  • Joe Speed (Cornerbacks Coach): TBD
  • John Sisk (Head Strength & Conditioning Coach): Georgia State Head Strength & Conditioning Coach

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Here's a list thus far of where the former coaches ended up (will be continuously updated):

• Paul Johnson (Head Coach): Retired
  • Mike Sewak (Offensive Line Coach): Retired
  • Ron West (Offensive Line Coach): TBD
  • Lamar Owens (A-Backs Coach/Special Teams Coordinator): Georgia Southern Wide Recievers Coach
  • Craig Candeto (Quarterbacks/B-Backs Coach): Austin Peay Running Backs Coach
  • Buzz Preston (Wide Receivers Coach): TBD
  • Nate Woody (Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach): Michigan Defensive Analyst
  • Jerome Riase (Defensive Line Coach): TBD
  • Andy McCollum (Outside Linebackers Coach): TBD
  • Shiel Wood (Safeties Coach): Georgia State Cornerbacks Coach
  • Joe Speed (Cornerbacks Coach): TBD
  • John Sisk (Head Strength & Conditioning Coach): Georgia State Head Strength & Conditioning Coach

Thanks for this info.

I guess it’s a little telling where they’ve landed (or haven’t, in some cases)...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thanks for this info.

I guess it’s a little telling where they’ve landed (or haven’t, in some cases)...

How so? It will be telling if they aren't employed, or are under-employed, next year. They were cut so late in this years hiring cycle that there aren't a lot of good openings for them to move into.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A few years ago I looked at age of our coaches verses another school. We were clearly older. . The seniority had operational advantages but over time it also increased all the position coaches salaries.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So of the 11 asst coaches, 2 have retired, 4 currently do not have a position (hate to see that) and the other 5 have all taken lower positions than what they had (4 at G5 schools and 1 as an 'extra' coach at a P5 school).

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Preston has coached at Stanford, Notre Dame, Washington St, etc.. He’s made plenty of money, etc... He has a kid with autism. Why uproot your family to go chase a few extra dollars at age 60 when you can retire and enjoy your life?

For the people hating on Lamar, he’s lucky he got a college job in the #MeToo (unfairly in my opinion) era. I thought he’d be heading to the NFL.

Sewak sucked in recent years. But he was a fairly successful head coach at a good FCS school (at the time).

If you’re Shiel Wood, why would you want to move your family again after 10 months?

When/if one you gets laid off, would you not look in Atlanta first for opportunities so you didn’t have to uproot your life? Especially if you had a SO with a successful career (she’s a doctor)?

I hate to say it, but it’s not as if Coach Collins poached lots of P5 schools for his assistants (besides Key). It is what it is. That’s not a dig at Collins.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Preston has coached at Stanford, Notre Dame, Washington St, etc.. He’s made plenty of money, etc... He has a kid with autism. Why uproot your family to go chase a few extra dollars at age 60 when you can retire and enjoy your life?

For the people hating on Lamar, he’s lucky he got a college job in the #MeToo (unfairly in my opinion) era. I thought he’d be heading to the NFL.

Sewak sucked in recent years. But he was a fairly successful head coach at a good FCS school (at the time).

If you’re Shiel Wood, why would you want to move your family again after 10 months?

When/if one you gets laid off, would you not look in Atlanta first for opportunities so you didn’t have to uproot your life? Especially if you had a SO with a successful career (she’s a doctor)?

I hate to say it, but it’s not as if Coach Collins poached lots of P5 schools for his assistants (besides Key). It is what it is. That’s not a dig at Collins.
Exactly