Former GaTech defensive lineman and Oklahoma State DC

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Glenn Spencer, former Georgia Tech defensive lineman ('87) and defensive line coach (2001-2003), West Georgia defensive coordinator and eventually head coach (1990-2000, 28-7 record as head coach), Duke assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator, and defensive backs coach under Coach Ted Roof (2004-2006), and most recently, Oklahoma State defensive line coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator (2008-2017) has been let go from his job in Stillwater

Familiar with a 3-3-5 defense that he employed consistently while in Stillwater, with a bend-don't-break philosophy to combat the high-scoring offenses in the Big 12. While coaching defensive linemen at his alma mater, Georgia Tech ranked 12th nationally in rushing defense, 20th in total defense and 27th in scoring defense in 2003 and placed a pair of representatives on the All-ACC squad. Eric Henderson earned first-team recognition after leading the conference with 11 quarterback sacks and logging 24 tackles for loss, and Travis Parker earned honorable mention honors. In addition, Spencer coached Mansfield Wrotto to Freshman All-America honors

Found this to be some interesting information that surfaced recently

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Glenn Spencer, former Georgia Tech defensive lineman ('87) and defensive line coach (2001-2003), West Georgia defensive coordinator and eventually head coach (1990-2000, 28-7 record as head coach), Duke assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator, and defensive backs coach under Coach Ted Roof (2004-2006), and most recently, Oklahoma State defensive line coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator (2008-2017) has been let go from his job in Stillwater

Familiar with a 3-3-5 defense that he employed consistently while in Stillwater, with a bend-don't-break philosophy to combat the high-scoring offenses in the Big 12. While coaching defensive linemen at his alma mater, Georgia Tech ranked 12th nationally in rushing defense, 20th in total defense and 27th in scoring defense in 2003 and placed a pair of representatives on the All-ACC squad. Eric Henderson earned first-team recognition after leading the conference with 11 quarterback sacks and logging 24 tackles for loss, and Travis Parker earned honorable mention honors. In addition, Spencer coached Mansfield Wrotto to Freshman All-America honors

funny I just mentioned him as an old GOL asst.

Glenn is a good coach, makes alot of money. I think he will land somewhere no issue...maybe in a year. maybe not.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They used the 3-3-5 against some teams like Texas Tech I think (and got about half a hundred hung on them) but they are a 4-3 or 4-2-5 base usually, which is what he ran at Duke I think.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
They used the 3-3-5 against some teams like Texas Tech I think (and got about half a hundred hung on them) but they are a 4-3 or 4-2-5 base usually, which is what he ran at Duke I think.
You might be right. All I saw was a lot of stuff out of the 3-3-5, but they could have run a 4-3 base with an aggressive philosophy in his early years as a DC

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You might be right. All I saw was a lot of stuff out of the 3-3-5, but they could have run a 4-3 base with an aggressive philosophy in his early years as a DC
He has certainly been part of coaching an aggressive D here before. He also came up with some interesting "games" (ie stunts) for the D-Line while he was working with CJT. Would love to get him!

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Probably working on a lifetime contract for CPJ so probably not

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
But can he recruit? We need some 4 and 5 stars in here.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
A little birdie told me that Spencer and Roof are going to be named co-defensive coordinators at the University of Pittsburgh, soon.

Go Jackets!

Can't tell if you are serious. If so, boy Roof sure does know how to leave before getting fired. Did the same thing with Auburn.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If that's true, Pitt is going to have a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Narduzzi is almost the defacto DC there as is and he wants to add 2 more?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Roof leaving before he starts.
I don't see it Narduzzi coaches an aggressive defense not bend don't break.