For Those Who Think We Are Far Off

gtdrew

Banned
I'd like to see Laskey & Custis on the field together in some sets. One of the reason I think this offense was so good early in CPJ's tenure was whichever one of the Cox brothers it was lining up @ a-back and ruining peoples days. Laskey and Days at a-back could replicate that effect...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you'll find that the counter option with the BB taking the pitch will return to the mix a little more frequently with Custis back there. Personally, I think Custis is a better back, if you compare HS films. BUT Laskey has the experience and he has been productive if not explosive. I hope he learns to block better though. It will be interesting to see. Laskey hits the hole fast and gives a lot of effort while hanging on to the football. His field vision is sub par though, and his center of gravity and pad level is higher than most elite backs. Custis is built lower to the ground and appears to be the more instinctive runner who cuts better and sniffs out holes. He makes it look easier than Laskey does while he is toting the rock. I think their styles are very different. I like them both and I am not worried about the position. Laskey has proven himself a decent receiver. I have no idea about Custis in this regard.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I've always dreamed of at BB for Tech:

Well, Laskey is closer to that then Custis. I admit I'm old fashioned on this: I grew up on Ray Mendem and I've missed him ever since. Too bad we've never had an Eckel to tote the rock.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I always go into the spring optimistic. However, until we prove we have major upgrades in both the OL and DL,
I think it's a stretch to look at 8-10 wins next year. I love Roof as our DC, but he needs better players to work with. Linemen are the key to this team improving , and I think the jury is out and will be until about the 4th game .

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I always go into the spring optimistic. However, until we prove we have major upgrades in both the OL and DL,
I think it's a stretch to look at 8-10 wins next year. I love Roof as our DC, but he needs better players to work with. Linemen are the key to this team improving , and I think the jury is out and will be until about the 4th game .

8-10 is a very big range. I think 8 is reasonable at this point, 10 probably is not. We could get to 10 if a lot of things come together, but we could also get to 5-6 if none of them do. I suspect some will, and see anywhere from 7-9 myself.

In order for CPJ to feel comfortable, I think we need at least 8 with UGA or 9 without.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
8-10 is a very big range. I think 8 is reasonable at this point, 10 probably is not. We could get to 10 if a lot of things come together, but we could also get to 5-6 if none of them do. I suspect some will, and see anywhere from 7-9 myself.

In order for CPJ to feel comfortable, I think we need at least 8 with UGA or 9 without.

I agree, we have probably all thought that most players on the team would continue to improve every year, or could be "coached up". I have not seen too much evidence of that from this staff, so far. I am optimistic about Roof and Pelton because we did improve overall on D. But at some point, to beat UGA, VT, UM, we need better players. Hoping we can win , if they lose their starting QB, is not a good long term strategy , IMO. We all know, if we had beaten UGA this past game, it would have always had an asterisk next to it.