For Those Who Think We Are Far Off

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I too don't understand why a respectful, but negative, opinion of the current program's state makes so many on here mad. None of us who are currently "seeing the glass half empty" want our team to actually perform poorly (well, there is always an exception to this rule, but that person has an agenda that is bigger than GT in their mind). In fact, almost everyone one of us would LOVE to be proven wrong about next year or the upcoming years. I am a GT fan, but a realistic fan. I have been a huge CPJ supporter, and it has taken me a long time to come around to the epiphany that his offensive system (as it is currently constituted) is adding to the negaive recruiting stigma that GT already has to fight. This added dimension, in my opinion, has become almost monumental to overcome, but I am rooting for the team and PJ to prove me wrong. Yes, I want to be proven wrong, because I love GT and GT football.

I'll take a crack at this.

I freely admit that I'm a glass half-full guy. So when I see an unknown for the team I try to look at things in a positive way. Completely 100% guilty it's just my personality. I also freely admit that while I do consider myself above average in terms of football knowledge the truth is that I probably don't know jack **** about projecting a football's progression and future. And I don't really pretend to. Forgive me for generalizing but I consider most of the people on this board (and sports fans in general) to be in that boat with me. When we're talking about the future of the team we're basically guessing. We have no idea what's going to happen.

So how come when I find or look for a positive is my thought unrealistic or "gold-colored"? Just because you see a negative or put a negative spin on something doesn't make it more realistic or closer to the truth so please don't act like it does. I feel like this happens a lot in the message board chatter I've seen, especially on GT boards. The truth is most likely somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum.

One of the other boards was an echo chamber of negativity where the same people shouted down and even ridiculed ANY positivity over and over again. It kind of sucked. So think of it as a conditioned response.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll take a crack at this.

I freely admit that I'm a glass half-full guy. So when I see an unknown for the team I try to look at things in a positive way. Completely 100% guilty it's just my personality. I also freely admit that while I do consider myself above average in terms of football knowledge the truth is that I probably don't know jack **** about projecting a football's progression and future. And I don't really pretend to. Forgive me for generalizing but I consider most of the people on this board (and sports fans in general) to be in that boat with me. When we're talking about the future of the team we're basically guessing. We have no idea what's going to happen.

So how come when I find or look for a positive is my thought unrealistic or "gold-colored"? Just because you see a negative or put a negative spin on something doesn't make it more realistic or closer to the truth so please don't act like it does. I feel like this happens a lot in the message board chatter I've seen, especially on GT boards. The truth is most likely somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum.

One of the other boards was an echo chamber of negativity where the same people shouted down and even ridiculed ANY positivity over and over again. It kind of sucked. So think of it as a conditioned response.

I have no problem with what you say here, but realize from my standpoint, I always try to say that it is my opinion, and my opinion is mostly no better than anyone else's when it comes to the future of our football program. I do try to add some factual evidence to why I have come to conclusions, but I respect others' opinions unless they start taking unnecessary personal shots.

By the way, I am really glad everyone is not a "glass half-empty" guy like me. :) And, I too do not like the immature rants and attacks that are seen on some sites.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I believe they lost their big defensive guy as well
Aaron Donald. Really glad he's moving on. I believe the stat was 1 in 6 offensive plays we ran resulted in a tackle for loss by Donald. We have good reason to be optimistic at Pitt next year.

Animal02

Banned
Aaron Donald. Really glad he's moving on. I believe the stat was 1 in 6 offensive plays we ran resulted in a tackle for loss by Donald. We have good reason to be optimistic at Pitt next year.

Looking forward to it. It will be the first Tech game since 2010 I can catch. Just hope it is not late in the season

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Laskey was recruited as a BB. Kid has been a pretty significant part of the offense the last 2 years. I remember how many thought he would be a special teamer only. Who out of the 2011 class has contributed more than Laskey and Shaq Mason?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Did you by any chance predict that Robbie would surpass Orwin's numbers? Or did you find that unlikely?
Funny. So you are GUESSING that I make the SAME statement every yr? Almost ludicrous in assumption. .Why wouldn't every yr stand on its own?. btw-I said we would be 8-4 last yr.

er, Godhigh was not exactly a "new" guy.So you must think that there is a guy that will beat/meet Godhigh's numbers. Again as I said very doubtful,.possible but very doubtful.
What I'm hoping for is success by committee.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Funny. So you are GUESSING that I make the SAME statement every yr? Almost ludicrous in assumption. .Why wouldn't every yr stand on its own?. btw-I said we would be 8-4 last yr.

er, Godhigh was not exactly a "new" guy.So you must think that there is a guy that will beat/meet Godhigh's numbers. Again as I said very doubtful,.possible but very doubtful.
What I'm hoping for is success by committee.

There's no need to get snippy. I asked a question. I remember reading several posts last year where people did predict that we wouldn't have the same kind of production from the A-Back position with Orwin gone. I was wondering if you were one of those people.

While none of our other A-Backs showed the same kind of consistency this year, Perkins, Bostic, Hill, Andrews, Zenon, and Days have all shown potential to be the break-out guy next year. We'll see.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Laskey was recruited as a BB. Kid has been a pretty significant part of the offense the last 2 years. I remember how many thought he would be a special teamer only. Who out of the 2011 class has contributed more than Laskey and Shaq Mason?

You are right. Which is why i am glad the 2012 and 2013 classes seem better in talent.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomer raises an important point that 'but Duke/AllBarn is DIFFERENT' misses completely. Football teams are extremely complex systems whose performance is not linearly predicted by the sum of its inputs. Next year has a good chance of being better than individual improvements predict.

For example, the hair pulling about the O-line seems largely misguided to me. Sure, there were some ugly scenes midseason, but a lot of the O line's poor performance was predicated on the fact that they were trying to run the Vad Lee offense which placed a fair deal more pressure on them. That's not a punch at Vad, it's an observation about field and position. The base option for the flexbone disincents many of the defensive strategies that ended in ouch for GT. On many plays, the O-line will be called on to do different things than they did this year. Even on the same plays, the opposition can't bank on a lack of option threat in their positioning.

I think we all model things initially as linear systems according to a pro/con list mentality. I'd just suggest that doing so for football is approximately as effective as for RLC circuits.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Boomer raises an important point that 'but Duke/AllBarn is DIFFERENT' misses completely. Football teams are extremely complex systems whose performance is not linearly predicted by the sum of its inputs. Next year has a good chance of being better than individual improvements predict.

For example, the hair pulling about the O-line seems largely misguided to me. Sure, there were some ugly scenes midseason, but a lot of the O line's poor performance was predicated on the fact that they were trying to run the Vad Lee offense which placed a fair deal more pressure on them. That's not a punch at Vad, it's an observation about field and position. The base option for the flexbone disincents many of the defensive strategies that ended in ouch for GT. On many plays, the O-line will be called on to do different things than they did this year. Even on the same plays, the opposition can't bank on a lack of option threat in their positioning.

I think we all model things initially as linear systems according to a pro/con list mentality. I'd just suggest that doing so for football is approximately as effective as for RLC circuits.

Finally, a post that I can understand. If only everyone would post this clearly!!!!

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
If we had the same schedule as last year I would likely agree......but we have a far easier one in 2014.

We will win 3 out of the gate, UVA, Pitt, NCST, are wins....we have UNC, Duke, Mia, VT, Clemp, and UGA. We win at least one of the UNC Duke games, if not both...the other four....who knows.

I wouldn't be so confident regarding Pitt. They got better as season progressed, won their bowl and we play them there. Hope you are right but I rate this one a toss up.

Animal02

Banned
I wouldn't be so confident regarding Pitt. They got better as season progressed, won their bowl and we play them there. Hope you are right but I rate this one a toss up.

Pitt had played a similar offense the week before us in Navy, so that helped them a little (thank you ACC scheduling) they did upset ND in a close game, lost to UNC, barely beat a Cuse team that we crushed, lost to Mia, and barely beat a MAC team in a bowl.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
There's no need to get snippy. I asked a question. I remember reading several posts last year where people did predict that we wouldn't have the same kind of production from the A-Back position with Orwin gone. I was wondering if you were one of those people.

While none of our other A-Backs showed the same kind of consistency this year, Perkins, Bostic, Hill, Andrews, Zenon, and Days have all shown potential to be the break-out guy next year. We'll see.
Godhigh was an unbelievable success story for us. We usually characterize our A backs as good runners (Orwin) good blockers (Roddy) or good receivers (Bostic?). Godhigh excelled at all three phases. We are hearing rumors that Bostic and Zenon will graduate and not return. I like Days blocking and Perkins and Andrews to step up with carries. Both of those have shown big play potential.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with what you say here, but realize from my standpoint, I always try to say that it is my opinion, and my opinion is mostly no better than anyone else's when it comes to the future of our football program. I do try to add some factual evidence to why I have come to conclusions, but I respect others' opinions unless they start taking unnecessary personal shots.

By the way, I am really glad everyone is not a "glass half-empty" guy like me. :) And, I too do not like the immature rants and attacks that are seen on some sites.

No worries I wasn't specifically talking about you or anything.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, I admit that I've always liked Laskey better then Sims. They were about equal in push and Zach's faster. Coach seemed to have issues about his blocking this year, but I think that won't be as much a concern with Vad gone.

So, I'll make a prediction: Laskey starts all year and rushes for 900 - 1000 yards. Yep, you read it here first. So why do I say that?

First, I looked again at the senior films for Custis and Laskey. I didn't see much difference. Custis is the same kind of back: a straight ahead type who's hard to knock off his feet. He didn't look any faster and he's smaller then Laskey. Second, Laskey has a lot more game experience. Third, remember 2012? Laskey led the team in rushing - 697 yards - despite sharing the position with Sims for the last 5 games. The guy is hard to stop and he'll be up around 220 next year.

But we'll see. Maybe Custis has that certain something that makes for a great BB.