So we need;
A new Oline
QB
Bback
Dline
& Secondary
And yet we close?

I'm just asking the question
What do you suppose Auburn would have said after last year about their needs? Do you think the fan base felt like they needed major upgrades at a bunch of position groups? They won 3 games! My point is, things can often come together without a lot of warning. For them, the main ingredient was a QB who gets the offense and has the physical talent to excel in it. From there, it kind of took off.

Look, I understand that pretty much every team is given hope by the Allbarn success story in 2013. Most teams were better than than 3-9. Many probably feel if just a few things come together....

1990 came out of the blue for us. I don't see us any further from the prize today, than we were after the 1989 season. Like I said earlier, I am not predicting a natty in 2014, but there is plenty of reason to be interested none the less. We were an efficient option running QB or a second strong pass rushing DE away from a pretty huge season in 2013, IMHO.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What do you suppose Auburn would have said after last year about their needs? Do you think the fan base felt like they needed major upgrades at a bunch of position groups? They won 3 games! My point is, things can often come together without a lot of warning. For them, the main ingredient was a QB who gets the offense and has the physical talent to excel in it. From there, it kind of took off.

Look, I understand that pretty much every team is given hope by the Allbarn success story in 2013. Most teams were better than than 3-9. Many probably feel if just a few things come together....

1990 came out of the blue for us. I don't see us any further from the prize today, than we were after the 1989 season. Like I said earlier, I am not predicting a natty in 2014, but there is plenty of reason to be interested none the less. We were an efficient option running QB or a second strong pass rushing DE away from a pretty huge season in 2013, IMHO.

I hear you, Boomer, and I appreciate and respect your viewpoints. But, in the case of AllBarn, they still had much more talent based on their recruiting success the past few years, so even if their fans/alumni didn't believe this was possible this year, it really was. I would argue that our situation, with our recruiting the past few years, is much different, but I want you to be right about this thing being turned around fast.

Animal02

Banned
I hear you, Boomer, and I appreciate and respect your viewpoints. But, in the case of AllBarn, they still had much more talent based on their recruiting success the past few years, so even if their fans/alumni didn't believe this was possible this year, it really was. I would argue that our situation, with our recruiting the past few years, is much different, but I want you to be right about this thing being turned around fast.

Michigan State was 7-6 in 2012 as well

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I see wins against woffard, tulane and southern to start the season......home ACC games ....Clemson, Duke, Miami, Virginia, I see UVA as a win, Duke as a likely win, and Clemp and Mia as toss ups.
Away games we have NC State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech.... I see wins at NCST, UNC, and Pitt, and VT once again being a toss up. The dawgs are a toss up as well at the end of the year. That puts us at 7 wins, with likely 8......which leaves the "big 4" As usual, these games come down to time in the season, a couple of lucky bounces, penalties etc that will decide the outcome.
I agree with the first three.Duke will be better but we have their number.VT will be a surprise but its up there.Pitt had winning year and like everybody if they get good players they can hurt us.I think State and NC are questions since you never know what NC will do with the talent they have.Clemson will be tough and I think Miami will be too and Ga in Athens aint no picnic. Yeah can see 7 or eight but we must play well.We could though split the big four and have a good year but man that is a long time off is it not ?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
So we need;
A new Oline
QB
Bback
Dline
& Secondary
And yet we close?

I'm just asking the question
Shoot lets just get all of them...I still think we will score even though folks have gotten use to the option but again....play better defense and we should get a couple more wins.Of course again we dont really know what the other side has up their sleeve either.

Animal02

Banned
I agree with the first three.Duke will be better but we have their number.VT will be a surprise but its up there.Pitt had winning year and like everybody if they get good players they can hurt us.I think State and NC are questions since you never know what NC will do with the talent they have.Clemson will be tough and I think Miami will be too and Ga in Athens aint no picnic. Yeah can see 7 or eight but we must play well.We could though split the big four and have a good year but man that is a long time off is it not ?

I hate this time of year......frikkin 16 degrees outside, no football except for the NFL, Tech basketball playing like normal.................

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense needs to get better. Our Offense shortens the game and scores efficiently even adjusted for opponents. Our Defense needs to improve.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The combined record of the two teams who played in the National Championship game last night over the two preceding seasons was 32-20. Auburn's record over those two years was 11-14. Last year Auburn won a TOTAL of 3 games. Auburn had a fortunate season in 2013, but they were also quite good. Consider that we played UGA (a common opponent) just as tough as they did. Without a freak play, they got beat on a substantial come from behind too.

Things can change very quickly. Many times it is just a matter of chemistry, a single piece of the puzzle getting filled, and a little luck thrown in. I am not predicting a natty in 2014, but sometimes these things can come out of nowhere. We have a solid core and just a few vacant pieces need to be filled.

Auburn has won 2 national championships in the last 4 years. We've had 2 winning seasons in the last 4 years. I don't understand the comparison.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Iowa was 4-8 a year ago, maybe two years ago? They fell harder and faster off the Orange Bowl appearance than we did. And yet, they were in a New Year's Day bowl this season. I don't know if another Orange Bowl bid is in the offing for this team, but a little more consistent play could mean the difference in 2-3 wins. Va Tech, Miami, Georgia and Ole Miss, even for all the talent they have - actual and alleged - weren't that much better. They were better enough, but I still think playing a little better and more focused in some of those situations and games, especially as close as all of them were (the Miami score is an outlier because it was 24-23 midway through the fourth) could make all the difference.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I hate this time of year......frikkin 16 degrees outside, no football except for the NFL, Tech basketball playing like normal.................
Yep but since its cold my friend all the football experts will have plenty of time to discuss our strengths and weaknesses at Tech........

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense needs to get better. Our Offense shortens the game and scores efficiently even adjusted for opponents. Our Defense needs to improve.
Yeah with unknows at qb and OL ...it will be nice to have a defense improve more than they did this year.We were not bad mind you,as before but we still need to stop the rush and rush the passer.Maybe its our year ..who knows but the Shadow......

Animal02

Banned
Iowa was 4-8 a year ago, maybe two years ago? They fell harder and faster off the Orange Bowl appearance than we did. And yet, they were in a New Year's Day bowl this season. I don't know if another Orange Bowl bid is in the offing for this team, but a little more consistent play could mean the difference in 2-3 wins. Va Tech, Miami, Georgia and Ole Miss, even for all the talent they have - actual and alleged - weren't that much better. They were better enough, but I still think playing a little better and more focused in some of those situations and games, especially as close as all of them were (the Miami score is an outlier because it was 24-23 midway through the fourth) could make all the difference.

On thing about schools like Iowa getting New Years Day games over the ACC.......they have huge alumni and fan bases that travel (not much to do in Iowa at that time of year) Tech is notorious for not having a big traveling fan base.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On thing about schools like Iowa getting New Years Day games over the ACC.......they have huge alumni and fan bases that travel (not much to do in Iowa at that time of year) Tech is notorious for not having a big traveling fan base.
GT fans travel well relative to their total number. It's the smallness of the fanbase that's the problem.