For Those Who Think We Are Far Off

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The combined record of the two teams who played in the National Championship game last night over the two preceding seasons was 32-20. Auburn's record over those two years was 11-14. Last year Auburn won a TOTAL of 3 games. Auburn had a fortunate season in 2013, but they were also quite good. Consider that we played UGA (a common opponent) just as tough as they did. Without a freak play, they got beat on a substantial come from behind too.

Things can change very quickly. Many times it is just a matter of chemistry, a single piece of the puzzle getting filled, and a little luck thrown in. I am not predicting a natty in 2014, but sometimes these things can come out of nowhere. We have a solid core and just a few vacant pieces need to be filled.

Animal02

Banned
The combined record of the two teams who played in the National Championship game last night over the two preceding seasons was 32-20. Auburn's record over those two years was 11-14. Last year Auburn won a TOTAL of 3 games. Auburn had a fortunate season in 2013, but they were also quite good. Consider that we played UGA (a common opponent) just as tough as they did. Without a freak play, they got beat on a substantial come from behind too.

Things can change very quickly. Many times it is just a matter of chemistry, a single piece of the puzzle getting filled, and a little luck thrown in. I am not predicting a natty in 2014, but sometimes these things can come out of nowhere. We have a solid core and just a few vacant pieces need to be filled.

I agree.....I think we are a 8-10 win season next year based on the schedule and what is happening with other teams. The difference between that and going undefeated often comes down to a couple lucky bounces, a injury or lack of one, and a bad (or good) call by the refs. (Michigan State could easily played for the NC if not for a questionable call in the ND game)

Matt E

GT Athlete
Good points. We need JT or whoever takes over at QB to be a game changer, better o-line play, and a good close out to recruiting season and you never know what may happen in the coastal.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree, and believe if JT has the heart and desire to win in this offense like Josh Nesbitt we can turn things around quickly! I feel like Custis is going to be the type of back we've been missing. He has to be hungry setting out this season not being able to play for us.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't think you can say we played UGA even with Auburn. We played them without Aaron Murray.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
New coaches as in Jimbo Fisher who's been at Florida State for 7 years, or Gus who's been at auburn for a combined 4 years over his stints as OC and head coach?

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I think schedule also matters. Had we played VT and Maimi later in the season, we would be playing fsu again in the acc champ game and our outlook for the season would have been much better. I for one would like to see a bulk of our major acc games to be played later in the season. As always, shoulda coulda woulda...

Animal02

Banned
I think schedule also matters. Had we played VT and Maimi later in the season, we would be playing fsu again in the acc champ game and our outlook for the season would have been much better. I for one would like to see a bulk of our major acc games to be played later in the season. As always, shoulda coulda woulda...

Really think the ACC has had it out for Tech with the suck scheduling the last couple of years. At least Tech this year booked three OOC games the first three weeks of the season. Just watch......we will get all the "rebuilding" teams at the end of the season.....the intact once at the front end of the schedule.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
So we need;
A new Oline
QB
Bback
Dline
& Secondary
And yet we close?

I'm just asking the question

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Maybe we improve by a single W. Maybe 2. We are still unproven and perhaps thin in alot positions though. I wish it was August 2014 in more ways than one. It's cold outside!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Really think the ACC has had it out for Tech with the suck scheduling the last couple of years. At least Tech this year booked three OOC games the first three weeks of the season. Just watch......we will get all the "rebuilding" teams at the end of the season.....the intact once at the front end of the schedule.
I don't think they necessarily have it "out" for us, just "in" for others. We get lost in the wash.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree.....I think we are a 8-10 win season next year based on the schedule and what is happening with other teams. The difference between that and going undefeated often comes down to a couple lucky bounces, a injury or lack of one, and a bad (or good) call by the refs. (Michigan State could easily played for the NC if not for a questionable call in the ND game)
Agree six to eight wins is a given due to our schedule but big thing is how we play the big uns....so many times we start off three and o and then when we play big boys we lose.If excuses were worth points we would lead the ACC every year but its clear we dont have the total amount of kids we need to compete or rather to win two from the top four.If we split with VT,Ga,Miami,BYE we would have been pretty good on paper...we have to beat the big uns more often.Just my take on it.

Animal02

Banned
I see wins against woffard, tulane and southern to start the season......home ACC games ....Clemson, Duke, Miami, Virginia, I see UVA as a win, Duke as a likely win, and Clemp and Mia as toss ups.
Away games we have NC State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech.... I see wins at NCST, UNC, and Pitt, and VT once again being a toss up. The dawgs are a toss up as well at the end of the year. That puts us at 7 wins, with likely 8......which leaves the "big 4" As usual, these games come down to time in the season, a couple of lucky bounces, penalties etc that will decide the outcome.