For those who think The Hill can change the curriculum

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Why doesn't Tech go private and reinstitute a board of trustees? From reading that it doesn't seem like Tech ever got much support, financial or otherwise, from the state but is/was actually retarded by the state.

Why doesn't Tech go private and reinstitute a board of trustees? From reading that it doesn't seem like Tech ever got much support, financial or otherwise, from the state but is/was actually retarded by the state.
I doubt that we can go private; I'm sure the BOR would find a way to block that too. But we DO get some measure of funding from the state that would be hard, if not impossible, to replace. It certainly would solve all our problems though, wouldn't it?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

When you are “owned” by somebody else, how do you suddenly become not “owned”?

And if we did so, what guarantee is there that the HillNerds would not make things worse than now?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not sure this convinces me of the impossibility of curriculum expansion. Even this article points out we were able to build our college of business into a world class program despite BOR opposition.

Just needs true leadership as President of the Institute.

Animal02

Banned
I urge you all to read this article from FromTheRumbleSeat. It's a wonder that Tech can even still field teams in any sport, and it's also a wonder that Tech even still exists as a separate school in the university system of Georgia. If you don't already HATE the mutts, this should show you why you should ---

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...-steal-uga-evil-board-of-regents-georgia-tech
I have always thought that the Game system was superior to the system in Mich...where every school has their own BOR and essentially compete against each other....opening branch campuses offering similar programs in the same area as a primary University. The obvious corruption of the purpose in Georgia with all being elected is just as much a problem. I think a better solution would be....every Uni appoints one Regent. Then the general population elects what would be 3/5s of the total number.

Not sure this convinces me of the impossibility of curriculum expansion. Even this article points out we were able to build our college of business into a world class program despite BOR opposition.

Just needs true leadership as President of the Institute.
If that doesn't convince you, then sorry, but there's just no hope for you.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with a single Regents system is evident in medical education in Georgia. There’s one public, third-tier university. That university knows that if uGA or GT were about to start medical schools, they’d be fall further in the rankings, so they use their political influence to stop that. The result is a lack of qualified doctors in Georgia.

Splitting the GT and uGA (and GSU) systems to seperate regents be highly beneficial to Georgia. You may see duplicate programs, but they would primarily be created where a field is underserved and economics say that it makes good sense to expand.

Tech going private makes a ton of sense for Tech (Tech already owns most land and buildings through GTF, which it leases back to the state) and GT sends more money in tuition to fund other Georgia colleges than it receives in state funding. However, there is zero upside for the State to allow this to happen. I can’t think of a single good reason.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
No we should address the real problem. Our coaches are not the problem. Our inability to recruit players capable of competing with a school with so many more degrees is the problem!
It's not necessarily the number of degrees, it's the Institute structure of Tech. Every student has to take Computer Science and at least Survey of Calculus. Plus Tech requires much more than the high school minimum courses for admission.

What would help Tech (athletically and academically) is to move to a University structure. In a university structure, each college sets its own degree requirements and admits students independent of other colleges. So you can have a "digital media" major in the Ivan Allen College which requires no CS courses, college algebra-level math, and a low GPA/SAT requirement for admission. You then funnel athletes through that major or others like it. This is what schools like UNC, Michigan, Texas, and Stanford do.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not necessarily the number of degrees, it's the Institute structure of Tech. Every student has to take Computer Science and at least Survey of Calculus. Plus Tech requires much more than the high school minimum courses for admission.

What would help Tech (athletically and academically) is to move to a University structure. In a university structure, each college sets its own degree requirements and admits students independent of other colleges. So you can have a "digital media" major in the Ivan Allen College which requires no CS courses, college algebra-level math, and a low GPA/SAT requirement for admission. You then funnel athletes through that major or others like it. This is what schools like UNC, Michigan, Texas, and Stanford do.
I'm for it. My point is that we are in such a recruiting disadvantage that firing another coach, especially one of the best to ever put on a headset, is not the solution. Firing Ted Roof wasn't the solution on defense no disrespect to the current DC who has done a good job with what he has. We're pointing the figurative gun in the wrong direction.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Brian kemp will perpetuate this. He is a stereotypical dog. Would’ve been nice to get a governor who went to school in Atlanta and then Yale.

I’m sure everyone has their own opinions about everything else she would or would not have done, but I know she would have valued education more than uga football for a change.

Brian kemp will perpetuate this. He is a stereotypical dog. Would’ve been nice to get a governor who went to school in Atlanta and then Yale.

I’m sure everyone has their own opinions about everything else she would or would not have done, but I know she would have valued education more than uga football for a change.
Not going to get into my disagreement with you on a solely political basis, but you are right about Kemp perpetuating this.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

More excuses.

We elected a former GT athlete as Lt. Gov.

We have a GT grad as 1 of 2 U.S. Senators.

Sam Nunn was a Senator who went to GT.

Numb Nutz Carter was the Freaking President.

Too many GT grads want to whine, make excuses, claim their degrees will be devaluated (instead of their God given ability being their main asset) want to for some unknown reason put individuals (no successful business or university embraces this crap for 11 years) above what is best for the school.