1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

For those in the know?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Oldgoldandwhite, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

Are our roster sizes and weights pretty accurate? For example: Is Justin Thomas a legit 5'11" 179#? He looks shorter on the field, but maybe it is my old eyes.

2. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

No, the weight and height on ramblinwreck is not one to trust.

3. IronJacket7

IronJacket7 Helluva Engineer

:cautious: I knew it!

bat_082994 likes this.
  4. xenoabe

xenoabe Ramblin' Wreck

I actually did the heights and weights for our athletes one year. I can assure there is some fudging of the numbers released to the media.

My favorite was measuring Luke Schenscher at 7'1". He was wearing a boot at the time and was asking me to give him a couple extra inches.

5. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

Even my H.S. did that 35 years ago.... I always shrank 2 inches and gained 25 lbs. in the programs and releases to the radio stations etc.

6. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

I saw a quote about players height/weight/speed the other day on twitter. When looking at a players bio/stats, always subtract 2 inches, 10 lbs (add if they're a OL), and 2 tenths of second from what they have listed on their school sites.

That was from a pro scout talking about some of the college guys declaring for the draft.

7. techman78

techman78 Helluva Engineer

I met Justin in Nashville and got a picture with him. I'm 5'11 225 and had him by 2 inches and 50 pounds. So yeah, I think they fudged on his numbers some. Fwiw I met and had a picture with Shamire Devine too.......that is one BIG freakin dude. Made me look like a midget!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. 33jacket

33jacket Helluva Engineer

yeah the weights and heights are total BS.

We listed some OL at 285, when I know for a fact they were 270 and even 265 while playing...

For some reason programs never list what is real. But I use the eyecheck. Just like i do the same for recruiting. I see what is on the field to determine team size and quality. We are smaller now than we were 7 years ago as a team. Much smaller in my opinion, and the top talent is not there either obviously. The thing I do see is last years class, and parts of the 2012 class seem to be young but more talented than what paul did early on. And I think that way about this years class too.

I can see that just in the fact we are landing guys with more bigtime offers than we did in his first 4 years. Really especially last year and this year.

But they are so damn young. I mean it will take 3 more years to feel it.

9. Eric

This is Devine

wuzjrbuzz and techman78 like this.
  10. 33jacket

33jacket Helluva Engineer

LOL

FYI Will Jackson is one of those small OL i refer too...he played his first 3 years or so around 265 270

11. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

Isn't that also Will Jackson he's carrying? Geez...he makes WJ look like a runt.

12. techman78

techman78 Helluva Engineer

Gosh, Will Jackson looks tiny! Isn't that Matt Conners on Will's back? Shamire is holding up a lot of dang weight there too!!

13. xenoabe

xenoabe Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah, and he seemed to get injured all the time too. I wonder if that might be because of his size.

14. Eric

That is Will Jackson and Matt Connors.

Shamire is huge.

15. IronJacket7

IronJacket7 Helluva Engineer

:wideyed:

16. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

I know we signed an OL 5-6 years ago that was listed at 6'3". He may have been 6'0" . He played in our region so we got to see a lot of him.

17. gt13

gt13 Ramblin' Wreck

Justin's definitely not 5-11. Like techman said, I've stood next to him before and he maybe has a half-inch on me. I'd say 5-9 is closer, maybe generous.