For Those Hoping for Michael White...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Would be a great hire for them as long as he has no aspirations for returning to OleMiss. I honestly thought he'd be a darkhorse candidate for Duke considering (a) his father's been a longtime fixture there (in some capacity that I don't have the heart to google), (b) he's been a Duke-supporter for life (despite playing at OleMiss) and (c) the Coach K tree hasn't produced a sure-fire candidate. If I were AD there I'd venture out of the K tree, but I digress.

White to TN may not be a done deal just yet though. If I were him I'd wait on a better opportunity. Vols Athletics Dept isn't well run, their fans are unrealistic and expectations are way higher than they should be. The anti-Martin honeymoon period will only last so long, especially if Auburn does anything in the next few years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if those anti-Martin people were thinking "whoa" when the last 3 weeks of the season/tournament happened. The damage had already been done and he was looking to jump ship. I cant imagine they don't regret treating him like crap.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talks between TN and White "cool": http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-tennessee-and-louisiana-techs-michael-white
CBSSports.com first reported White's involvement with Tennessee on Saturday night, at which point a source said that UT had initially contacted some so-called "A-list" candidates to replace Cuonzo Martin, but that the interest wasn't mutual.

But a source told CBSSports.com that, after speaking with Tennessee officials, White is now leaning toward staying at Louisiana Tech, where his current contract gives him more longterm security than Tennessee seemed willing to provide.
@Peacone36 , the anti-Martins probably all agreed that the run to the sweet 16 was a fluke and that Martin did them a favor by leaving.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Would be a great hire for them as long as he has no aspirations for returning to OleMiss. I honestly thought he'd be a darkhorse candidate for Duke considering (a) his father's been a longtime fixture there (in some capacity that I don't have the heart to google), (b) he's been a Duke-supporter for life (despite playing at OleMiss) and (c) the Coach K tree hasn't produced a sure-fire candidate. If I were AD there I'd venture out of the K tree, but I digress.

White to TN may not be a done deal just yet though. If I were him I'd wait on a better opportunity. Vols Athletics Dept isn't well run, their fans are unrealistic and expectations are way higher than they should be. The anti-Martin honeymoon period will only last so long, especially if Auburn does anything in the next few years.
These two parts are very amusing considering his father is the AD there.

And you are dead on about their unreasonable expectations. I live in TN so have to deal with it all the time. There's numerous people clamoring on about when UK needed a coach, they went out and got Calipari and UT goes out and gets a nobody. It's absolutely ridiculous they think they have same basketball pedigree as Kentucky.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Talks between TN and White "cool": http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-tennessee-and-louisiana-techs-michael-white

@Peacone36 , the anti-Martins probably all agreed that the run to the sweet 16 was a fluke and that Martin did them a favor by leaving.
Well I guess he may be turning them down too then. He's known for a while that he'll be the hottest coach on the market next year and has been holding off on offers. If UT doesn't want to pay up it's a big mistake on their part. They'll probably end up trying to spend more to get an overpriced and overrated Howland.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
These two parts are very amusing considering his father is the AD there.

And you are dead on about their unreasonable expectations. I live in TN so have to deal with it all the time. There's numerous people clamoring on about when UK needed a coach, they went out and got Calipari and UT goes out and gets a nobody. It's absolutely ridiculous they think they have same basketball pedigree as Kentucky.

Ha! I at least get points for knowing he was an employee, right?

Agree on Howland, btw. There's a reason he's been stonewalled at every major opening this offseason.