For this season to be a success what record do we need?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ was just given carte blanche over the program, he's here for awhile.

Can you expand on what you mean by "CPJ was just given carte blanche over the program". You make it sound like Bobinski came out and said CPJ was staying come hell or high water. I haven't heard anything to that effect, though I do think it is unlikely that CPJ will be fired anytime soon.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think we go to the ACCCG this year and lose to FSU. VPI is declining lately, ThUgs are without their QB and Clemson has to make up for no more Sammy Watkins and Taj Boyd.
I also predict Duke to be a wild card this year--not as a title contender, but as a potential upset every week.
I think you're forgetting about the loads of talent and depth at some of these schools. I do agree that VT is declining but I believe Logan Thomas was a big reason why. Their D has still been good and although at times (especially against us) it looked like he was the only one on the team doing anything, I think he was responsible for not making the players around him better. I also think one of VT’s problems is they are trying to adapt their offense to the same O as other top teams are running and it just doesn’t work for them.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Depending on who the wins and losses come against is a big factor (i.e. ugag). But generically speaking, if we win 9 games then I think its a successful season. 8 and its an average to decent. 7... oh boy.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll take 9 wins in the regular season as my threshhold for success. Considering all the new faces in the starting lineup, that may not be realistic, but three relatively easy games to start the season give the new starters time to settle in.

If we win 9 in the regular season then it's a success. Most fans would be happy going to a bowl with a chance to win a tenth game.

Some of you may be too young to remember this, but it was a heady feeling back in 2008 when we won 9 regular season games and one of them was over the University of Jawjah. Now that had the feeling of success. And nobody gave a damn that we didn't win the Coastal, and very few felt bad when LSU crushed our nards in the Peach Bowl. 9 wins, beat Georgia, good year. It was a simple formula.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Some of you may be too young to remember this, but it was a heady feeling back in 2008 when we won 9 regular season games and one of them was over the University of Jawjah. Now that had the feeling of success. And nobody gave a damn that we didn't win the Coastal, and very few felt bad when LSU crushed our nards in the Peach Bowl. 9 wins, beat Georgia, good year. It was a simple formula.
Damn right nine and a win over UGA is always a mark of a good year.We need to beat them so bad so often that they surrender playing us at the middle of Grant Field.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I was at that game, and I will tell you I felt miserable. Good thing it was on NYE and we went to a bar afterwards.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
We had a 20 point lead against the mutts and couldn't get the job done. So not even going to say beat the dwags. We must win 2 of 3 against VT, Miami, or Clemson would please me.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We had a 20 point lead against the mutts and couldn't get the job done. So not even going to say beat the dwags. We must win 2 of 3 against VT, Miami, or Clemson would please me.

So let's say we lose to UGA, VT, UNC, Pitt and Nc St...but beat Miami and Clemson then the season would be okay to you?

Or would it have to be something like 8 wins (or 9) and include 2 out of those 3?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
It is fun to discuss possible records and to evaluate where we think other programs are in terms of who they are losing and who they have coming back etc. However, none of us really know what direction any of those teams are headed. We don't really even know what WE have at this point. When I think about what will make the upcoming season a success in my eyes, the first thing that comes to mind is this one simple thing: will crunch time bring out the best in us? In other words, will we finish out close games? If the answer to that question is YES, then we will have a record we are all proud of. I have been saying this for a few years now. Failure to finish has been our problem. Go back and look at the record of games that were close at the end. It has been abysmal. If we were just .500 in those situations, the entirety of Jacket nation would still be enamored with CPJ and the system.

I don't think we will be so good that we run through our schedule like crap through a goose. I think many games that we are all predicting as wins will be very hard fought and close. The culture needs to change, not the system etc. If we develop a culture of finishing and winning the tough ones, I will be happy regardless of record. However, if that happens, I think the record will be pretty good.

Back in 08 and 09 when the game was close in the fourth I always felt we would....the last few years I feel like we find ways to lose.

Look at our last three OT games :mad:

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I say 9 wins or more with winning 2/4 of the big 4 would be looked at as successful. Beating UGAg definitely makes it sweeter though. Id trade losing to UNC for a win over UGAg, they are as due with us as we are with the mutts. ACCCG appearance helps ease the pain of another L to the mutts. Anything less than 8 wins with this schedule is unacceptable. When you take into account most of our opponents will be breaking in new QBs too. If this happens, CPJ has no more fingers to point. Its all on him, the peformance, recruiting, coaching staff, etc. Im confident in our young men and see them getting to the 9 win mark or better.