For this season to be a success what record do we need?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I know the first answer by some is going to be beat UGA...but I am talking record wise.

What record would you be okay with?
What record would make you say our season was a success?
What would make you say the season was a failure?

I have been a huge complainer with our recent schedules as we seem to usually get the shaft...but I have to say I don't think I could have made the schedule any better if I got to pick it.

Wofford
@ Tulane
Georgia Southern
@ VT
Bye
Miami
Duke
@ UNC
@ Pitt
UVA
@ Nc St
Clemson
Bye
uga

For me anything less than 8 wins this year would be a major disappointment.

If we hit exactly 8 wins I wouldn't be thrilled but I would not be disappointed...I would just be okay with the season, especially if the losses were to the "big 4" of Miami, VT, Clemson and uga. Let's say we lost to someone like UNC but beat uga it would make the season better to me.

On the flip side 9 or anything above I am very happy with.

What's your take?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I have the same feeling.

6-6 off with his head!
7-5 and I'm pissed.
8-4 expected
9-3 we done good
10-2 ecstatic
11-1 not happening

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm predicting 9. I would be ok with 8 wins, but if it's 6 or 7 then i'll be sad. I don't think we'll beat VT or Duke this year, but I expect us to pull out a win against Clemson on senior day.

VT is our first conference opponent and we always have serious brain farts when we play them. I hope we win and we have a chance, but we always struggle to wrap up their ball carriers every year whether it's a WR, RB, or QB.

Duke has been playing us well in ATL recently and coming off their best season in 50 years, we don't have the defensive line to stop their power run game or the cornerback to cover Jamison Crowder. After they struggled against us with stopping Vad's passing attack and the diamond/pistol formation they shut down a very good Navy team who runs the TO far better than we do.

uga is uga. I have no faith that we'll ever beat them with Richt there.

W--Wofford
W--@ Tulane
W--Georgia Southern
L--@ VT
Bye
W--Miami
L--Duke
W--@ UNC
W--@ Pitt
W--UVA
W--@ Nc St
W--Clemson
Bye
L--@uga

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am confident against Duke.

Speaking of defensive lines...they dont have one to stop us. They lost three Senior starters on the DL in Justin Foxx, Sydney Sarmiento and Kenny Anunike.

Also lost CB Garrett Patterson and the star of the defense CB Ross Cockrell.

On VT...It does seem that way when we play them. I am glad Logan Thomas is gone...he always played his best against us.

I am glad they lose a lot on defense...on the DL they lose James Gayle, Derrick Hopkins, Jr Collings..at LB Jack Tyler and Tariq Edwards.

Also lose Kyle Fuller at DB (who killed us last year)

and Antone Exum who was hurt most of last year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The Clemson defense worries me a good bit...I think they will be a tough matchup for us.

The whole front four comes backup (including all the backups!) and that front four is nasty with Grady Jarrett, Corey Crawford, Josh Watson and of course Vic Beasley...also Tavaris Barnes, Shaq Lawson, DJ Reader and Carlos Watkins are some very good backups.

Only people they lose in the two deep at LB is Spencer Shuey who was a good one...and Quad Christian who was average.

The weakest spot by far is DB..they were think there last year and lost starter Darius Robinson and Bashaud Breeland turned pro.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow

Speaking of defensive lines...they dont have one to stop us. They lost three Senior starters on the DL in Justin Foxx, Sydney Sarmiento and Kenny Anunike.

For Duke, Garrett Patterson was a back up CB. True freshman Breon Borders and Bryon Fields were way bigger contributors at CB. Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash were just as important as Ross Cockrell. They have 2 of the better tackling linebackers in the conference and both put up 110+ tackles last season. Their DE's for next season are seniors who have alot of experience and their other DT spot will be a weak spot.

Besides Gotsis our DL is a huge question mark this year. Shawn Green will be the only other player with experience in big games on DL, but I'm confident in our talented young DT's. I feel like our ends will not apply much pressure and we'll be in trouble against teams with fast receivers. If we would have had Tuitt to put at DE opposite of Attaochu, last year would have been a lot different.

I agree with your analysis on VT. They lose a ton, but they still have little Fuller and Bud Foster. I think we can beat them, but i don't think we'll win double digits so i had to put losses somewhere.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

On VT...It does seem that way when we play them. I am glad Logan Thomas is gone...he always played his best against us.

I am glad they lose a lot on defense...on the DL they lose James Gayle, Derrick Hopkins, Jr Collings..at LB Jack Tyler and Tariq Edwards.

I agree with your assessment and I will add that I expect Clemson to field the best defense on our schedule. Everybody in our division lost talent on the DL. NC State's coaches and players will be experiencing the offense for the first time. I expect 5-3 in the conference and would be disappointed with less. We need to find some offensive tackles in the next ten days. If we accomplish that task, then I think 5-3 or better is a given.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
For Duke, Garrett Patterson was a back up CB. True freshman Breon Borders and Bryon Fields were way bigger contributors at CB. Kelby Brown and Jeremy Cash were just as important as Ross Cockrell. They have 2 of the better tackling linebackers in the conference and both put up 110+ tackles last season. Their DE's for next season are seniors who have alot of experience and their other DT spot will be a weak spot.

Besides Gotsis our DL is a huge question mark this year. Shawn Green will be the only other player with experience in big games on DL, but I'm confident in our talented young DT's. I feel like our ends will not apply much pressure and we'll be in trouble against teams with fast receivers. If we would have had Tuitt to put at DE opposite of Attaochu, last year would have been a lot different.

I agree with your analysis on VT. They lose a ton, but they still have little Fuller and Bud Foster. I think we can beat them, but i don't think we'll win double digits so i had to put losses somewhere.

Kelby Brown is really good but I think Cash is a notch down from Cockrell.

I still think the DL will be a big weakness for them.

I am confident we will be able to score on Duke...could be a shootout type of game. Who knows?

Oh yeah I agree with you on VT

VT still has a ton of talent...Dadi Nicolas, Corey Marshall, Brandon Facyson and as you said Kendall Fuller.

But I am sure glad they lost the guys they did!

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
To be a success?

Win Coastal; 10 wins; beat UGA (get 2 of those 3)

To be acceptable?

Finish 2nd in division; 9 wins (including bowl); beat UGA; beat Clemson; beat VPI; beat Miami (4 of those 6)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Based on "strength" of schedule, where we should/need to be as a program, what our priority should be, and our downward spiral since 2009 - anything less than 10 wins (with ugag as a must win) is not acceptable.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think clemson might be our toughest game this year, i actually think we might beat vt amd miami this year, not worried about dook........trying not to think about ugag

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is fun to discuss possible records and to evaluate where we think other programs are in terms of who they are losing and who they have coming back etc. However, none of us really know what direction any of those teams are headed. We don't really even know what WE have at this point. When I think about what will make the upcoming season a success in my eyes, the first thing that comes to mind is this one simple thing: will crunch time bring out the best in us? In other words, will we finish out close games? If the answer to that question is YES, then we will have a record we are all proud of. I have been saying this for a few years now. Failure to finish has been our problem. Go back and look at the record of games that were close at the end. It has been abysmal. If we were just .500 in those situations, the entirety of Jacket nation would still be enamored with CPJ and the system.

I don't think we will be so good that we run through our schedule like crap through a goose. I think many games that we are all predicting as wins will be very hard fought and close. The culture needs to change, not the system etc. If we develop a culture of finishing and winning the tough ones, I will be happy regardless of record. However, if that happens, I think the record will be pretty good.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
7 wins or lower - not happy a bit
8 wins (losses to big 4) - same old, same old. Not thrilled
8 wins (beat one or more of big 4) - we lost to someone we probably shouldn't have, but we still beat someone from the big 4
9 wins or more - happy; successful season

EDIT: these records don't include the bowl game

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What record would you be okay with?
7-6
What record would make you say our season was a success?
9-4
What would make you say the season was a failure?
5-7 or 6-6 with no bowl

I will say that, in general, winning twice as many as you lose is successful to me.
On the other hand, if we win the ACC championship, I would consider that a success - even if we lose all of the out of conference games.

My expectations at this point game by game.
W -Wofford
W - @ Tulane
W - Georgia Southern
L - @ VT
W - Miami
W - Duke
W - @ UNC
W - @ Pitt
W - UVA
W - @ Nc St
L - Clemson
L - uga
I think 6-2 gets us to the ACC championship game.
L - ACC championship game
L - Bowl game
That is 9-5, although we will probably lose another ACC game somewhere.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Imo, there are 3 types of games:

1. We are the obvious favorite
2. There is no obvious favorite, both teams are fairly evenly matched comparing talent and depth even though Vegas may give one team 3 - 7 points.
3. We are the obvious underdog

I think if we win all the catagory 1 and 2 games, it's a success. Maybe we steal a game or two in catorgory 3 and it's a smashing success.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Losing Gayle is the biggest one that helps us. VT has a buffet of Fuller’s so losing one will just be replaced by the next Fuller.

thwgjacket

If we win 9 in the regular season then it's a success. Most fans would be happy going to a bowl with a chance to win a tenth game.