Football Q&A thread

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
any chance that cpj took his foot off the peddle after seasons 1 and 2 in the same manner that his buddy falcon's coach smith admits to doing in a recent article? allowing complacency to take over? ... thinking things were headed in the right direction? and they werent?

while you can fault his hiring of groh and wommack it certainly goes contrary to the idea that cpj is unwilling to change. i think that the roof hire is his best bar none. i like cook also. while cpj may not admit it publicly... i think that he realizes he needs to change things up a bit on the o. cook came here with an excellent resume of being a young offensive innovator as well as being a former tech coach.

kudoos to cpj for turning things around via our grad rates. this is a issue he doesnt get enough credit for imo. at the least our recruiting rivals can no longer compare graduations rates and hope to gain a tie.

Last edited:

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
any chance that cpj took his foot off the peddle after seasons 1 and 2 in the same manner that his buddy falcon's coach smith admits to doing in a recent article? allowing complacency to take over? ... thinking things were headed in the right direction? and they werent?

while you can fault his hiring of groh and wommack it certainly goes contrary to the idea that cpj is unwilling to change. i think that the roof hire is his best bar none. i like cook also. while cpj may not admit it publicly... i think that he realizes he needs to change things up a bit on the o. cook came here with an excellent resume of being a young offensive innovator as well as being a former tech coach.

kudoos to cpj for turning things around via our grad rates. this is a issue he doesnt get enough credit for imo. at the least our recruiting rivals can no longer compare graduations rates and hope to gain a tie.
If this was his 1st or 2nd job, I could see that happening. With the number of years CPJ has been coaching I just can't see that happening. CPJ personality also makes me think that this would never happen. I always thought the smith was in over his head.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Absolutely yes.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
CPJ has loosened the reigns in my opinion. Like Vad, I think there have been a lot of people in CPJ ear causing him to "soften up" Yeah there was talent on those 08 & 09 but that only equated to 7 wins until he got there. CPJ brought that mental toughness that got us over the edge. I don't see that in these past teams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ibee would know better than I, but it seemed to me that 2010 was a complacency season, and CPJ was complaining about guys thinking they could just roll out their helmets etc

But that was the only year we didn't have a top 31 off. Then again, as ibee says, it could just show on the one extra drive to win the close ones. But I still think D and talent are the biggest issues.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Eric will you be able to get info from 7x7 stuff this summer? Like how well JT is doing as a leader and passer?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
He is less likely than the other two. Will be awhile before we hear on him. I would put the odds near 50/50.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
20140607_062957.jpg
20140607_062957.jpg i saw this beauty im Greenville sc this morning aroind 7 am. Any ideas where it was going? recruting road trip ? ;)
It was heading downtown and not onto 85

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Do yall think all of these commits are comin from The Hill lessening the academic standards for players, and is this something we can look forward to for years to come? Or are we just having a great year in recruiting and most of these players meet normal Tech standards for football?