Football Q&A thread

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Will we see player specific plays?
For example plays that can get Snoddy or Autry in space.
Getting Klock the ball as a TE/receiver.

slugboy

Staff member
Last year, Attachou looked like the main disruptive player on defense, with Gotsis coming on as the season progressed. Is Roof scheming anything to bring disruption from other parts of the defense? If so, from whom? (Nealy? Isiah Johnson?)

Al Groh was apparently all two-gap technique, and I understand Roof likes a one-gap technique. Pete Carroll uses a mix depending on the players and what they can do. Will Roof add any more complexity to the defense, like Carroll has?

Finally, we got outschemed by VT last year. When do we play them, and what will we do to make sure our line can actually block them this year? Is there a different weakness they exploit this year?

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year, Attachou looked like the main disruptive player on defense, with Gotsis coming on as the season progressed. Is Roof scheming anything to bring disruption from other parts of the defense? If so, from whom? (Nealy? Isiah Johnson?)

Al Groh was apparently all two-gap technique, and I understand Roof likes a one-gap technique. Pete Carroll uses a mix depending on the players and what they can do. Will Roof add any more complexity to the defense, like Carroll has?

Finally, we got outschemed by VT last year. When do we play them, and what will we do to make sure our line can actually block them this year? Is there a different weakness they exploit this year?

On the VT game, I don't think we were outschemed. I think it was more our executed. The plays were there but we couldn't block them. Even the players after the game said they did just what we thought they were going to do. Sometimes it is about want to. VT obviously wanted it more than us that night or at least our executed us that night. I think it goes back to not having the base offense down to second nature. When we can run the TO precisely we are much harder to defend.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Will we see player specific plays?
For example plays that can get Snoddy or Autry in space.
Getting Klock the ball as a TE/receiver.

No idea.

Snoddy has to learn to catch the ball before he gets into space.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
techman78 post: 34021 said:
How many games in do you think before Custis breaks into the starting lineup?
Who has a better season: Smelter or Waller?

Who knows? Laskey may just hold him off. I think we will see a good split between them.

Smelter.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Those first two questions only the staff would be able to answer those questions.. but I am sure Roof is going to bring pressure from somewhere and adjust to what he has to use.

Our coaches were actually confident about the gameplan we had heading into the VT game and felt we had a good idea of what they were going to do...we simply couldn't execute. It all comes down to execution and ours was pathetic that night.

GTYellowJacket12

Jolly Good Fellow
Any chance of ever seeing local boy from my area (Miami) Nick Menocal get any substantial playing time? Seems like he got spot duty as a freshman yet I did not see him on the field much last season. What's keeping him out of the 2-deep? Anything he can control or is the competition too much?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Any chance of ever seeing local boy from my area (Miami) Nick Menocal get any substantial playing time? Seems like he got spot duty as a freshman yet I did not see him on the field much last season. What's keeping him out of the 2-deep? Anything he can control or is the competition too much?

Not a great chance.

I will say I've been very impressed at how hard he's been busting his tail this off-season.

He's just in a tough spot moving from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

slugboy

Staff member
On the VT game, I don't think we were outschemed. I think it was more our executed. The plays were there but we couldn't block them. Even the players after the game said they did just what we thought they were going to do. Sometimes it is about want to. VT obviously wanted it more than us that night or at least our executed us that night. I think it goes back to not having the base offense down to second nature. When we can run the TO precisely we are much harder to defend.
When I watched the game, it seemed like VT could at least predict the snap count and possibly the blocking scheme. Sadly, better than we could. Not everyone agrees with that. I'd call that schematic, but that's just me.

slugboy

Staff member
Those first two questions only the staff would be able to answer those questions.. but I am sure Roof is going to bring pressure from somewhere and adjust to what he has to use.

Our coaches were actually confident about the gameplan we had heading into the VT game and felt we had a good idea of what they were going to do...we simply couldn't execute. It all comes down to execution and ours was pathetic that night.
I hoped one of our former players who know TR as a coach might be able to fill us in on the first couple of questions.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
When I watched the game, it seemed like VT could at least predict the snap count and possibly the blocking scheme. Sadly, better than we could. Not everyone agrees with that. I'd call that schematic, but that's just me.

I wonder if Vad was tipping off play somehow-among his other problems.