Football Outsiders FEI Offensive/Defensive Efficiency

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
From another board. Don't really know what I think about any of this, other than I don't like our norm.

FEI.jpg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
JMO, if the D was in the top 60, we probably have at least two more wins. Not the best record but certainly better than were we sit now.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. No matter how you spin it, our coaching is bad on the defensive side of the ball, and we don't have good defensive linemen. I think our secondary players are pretty solid, but our linebackers aren't very good either, especially in coverage. Our talent is technically better on defense than it is on offense, but our offensive numbers are consistently good. That means that our coaching on defense must not be very good. I'm sure there are other factors as well, but we aren't a good defense. Does some of that have to do with our offensive style, or is Paul not good at helping his defense out? I'm not sure if he's had good defenses at Navy or Southern. Maybe someone knows or wants to look that up, but I know that Ted roof isn't very good at coaching. He's a good recruiter, but not a very good coach IMO.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I thought the 15 defense would be able to have its own identity.

They are still the red headed step child at gt football .

I cant figure out why the dc doesnt "let her rip". What u have been doing cant be called average. I guess average is good if ee grade on curve (our school is so hard) .
Thus sucking would be considered aveage and be in no need of major rethinking.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have really begun to question the legitimacy of the FEI as a measure. It has us as #24 in the nation offensively (before the UVa game), yet to my eye, we haven't been very good offensively. Further, it shows UGa as #35 in the nation. Again, they don't look that good to me. Meanwhile, Pitt (who looked decent offensively, certainly near to us imho) is ranked #60. Oklahoma State is #42? Really? Virginia is ranked #95 and just out-gained us. AND out rushed us. Just not sure I buy their yardstick for measuring....I mean, does anyone really believe our offense is better than Alabama's (#27) or Utah's (#29)?

Meanwhile, on defense we have essentially the same rating (#73) as Virginia Tech (#69). I was also surprised that Stanford was ranked #63 on defense (and this before their game with Wazzou)

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
I was thinking about this last night and looked on ESPN's website under the "standings" section.
In ACC play only, we are third (behind Clemson and FSU) in points for at 146. We are last in points allowed at 189.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have really begun to question the legitimacy of the FEI as a measure.
Don't have time to find it for you but FO had a good piece on the most schizo Teams this year. We're #3 behind Old Piss & one other. This has been a year when we've played up or down to the level of the competition save the 1st 2 games & maybe against the Tiggers. Also, of note the FO stats take out garbage drives so if you've got Teams running up the score when you're already ahead by 28 in the 4th quarter stuff like that does not count.

What is does paint very clearly is look at 2009 & 2014. Notice anything similar? What we need is the offense firing on all cylinders and a mediocre defense to have a good Team. That's who we are. What we have this year is an above the national average offense and a not quite dumpster fire defense. Couple that with injuries, nearly every ball has not bounced our way like last year & we've got some of the fanbase jumping off the cliff (or the CPJ hater coming back out of the closet).

We can win out. Not sure we've got the will of a champion in us, but if we do we will not quit on this season. We're not dead yet and we're still on of those Teams on everyone's calendar they don't want to play even though we're 3-6. We can still make the Gailey line! Go Jackets!!!!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously, this year isn't finished yet, so our rankings could change, but this looks about right to me. Our offense is always pretty effective, but last year it was elite. Our defense is still mediocre. I was hoping we would take a step in the right direction with our defense, maybe into the top-50, but alas, it didn't happen. Such a frustrating season.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm just wondering how our offense is ranked 24. To me, we don't look anywhere near that good. Makes me wonder just how much these numbers are worth.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm just wondering how our offense is ranked 24. To me, we don't look anywhere near that good. Makes me wonder just how much these numbers are worth.

The FEI numbers take strength-of-opposition into consideration. We've played against some really good defenses. I've just posted my ppd vs pw5 Rankings. Our offense looks worse there, #39 offense, but then again my method assumes that for the most part schedules against pwr 5 opposition will largely balance out, and that may not be true so far this year with respect to the defenses we've faced. Also, I think that many of us are just so used to looking so much better that we don't realize what normal and just good look like.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, VT has a defense that is, according to FEI, only marginally better than UNC's. That should mean we score 27 or 28 against the Hokies. The VT offense is almost identical to Pitt's, so we should yield 31. Sounds like another tough loss to me.

Georgia's defense is better so I doubt (all things being equal) that we score more than 17-20 against them. They are about the same as FSU's defense, and only slightly worse than Duke's.

The outlier here is that FSU has the #13 ranked offense in the country according to FEI, and our otherwise terrible defense held them to 20 points on the night (and scoreless in the 2nd half). Anomaly? Or a weakness sin the FEI system rantings?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
But the offense is pretty bad this year, as well. The stats are misleading. If you watch the games you can just tell
No argument from me about the offense, just like ever year under PJ, we live and die with the offense. I'm just aggravated about our complete inability to field a competent defense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
With the D line having JD suspended and then AG getting hurt on the first play, we played thinner and with less umph on the line than we have all season. I have no doubt that those that did play did so with HEART.

Sometime it is the Jimmies and Joes and not the Xs and Os.