Football Camps

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
So as we are now into the long Summer wait for Fall and return to football games, I thought you guys might enjoy some insite into the different football camps. My son will be a Sophmore in HS next year and will be attending several camps.

Right now he is scheduled for GT (June 6th) Clemson (June 8-10) and South Carolina (June 12th). As he completes them, I will give a comparison of the different camps. Also, if you guys have any questions let me know. We'll do our best to give you an insiders view!

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds awesome! Would you mind sharing what position he plays so that we can understand some of the differences in what he's asked to do at camp? IE different WR drills at GT vs clem and scar.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@Jacket Bracket:

Are these camps invitation only? Also, besides the travel costs and possible time off from work for the parents to drive to these camps is there also a fee for attending that has to be paid up front?

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@OldJacketFan:

What was more fun: Watching your son perform at the camps or when the folks at the "pay for recruiting sites" bestowed on him their 5 stars crown of achievement? Or were they not permitted to partake at an NCAA School camp?

Thanks for the information on costs and hope it all worked out well for the family with a scholarship.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
@OldJacketFan:

What was more fun: Watching your son perform at the camps or when the folks at the "pay for recruiting sites" bestowed on him their 5 stars crown of achievement? Or were they not permitted to partake at an NCAA School camp?

Thanks for the information on costs and hope it all worked out well for the family with a scholarship.

He had a few mentions on TOS but he did not participate in the Nike or other similar camps. We limited him to college camps for a lot of reason, mainly coaching and identifying where he want to go to school. Funny thing was after all that and putting in the time and effort we were on the way back home from his last camp and he looked at me as told me his just didn't want to spend his college years locked into football. I responded to him that if he wasn't ready and wanting to give the 100% it takes then he was making the right decision. He's in his junior year now and loving school and life. It was disappointing to me at the time but there's no doubt in my mind he made the right decision. He had the size (6'5" 285 lbs) and ability, just not the drive to do it. Hindsight being what it is, he made the right decision(at age 18), I couldn't be prouder!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but unless an elite camp or at first coach eye glance. It is just a way for programs to make some money. After the first glance and no scouting interest it may as well be over for most kids!

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds awesome! Would you mind sharing what position he plays so that we can understand some of the differences in what he's asked to do at camp? IE different WR drills at GT vs clem and scar.

He's a DE. Still a Freshman (for a few more days anyway). He goes about 6'3" 210. So he knows he is going to be on the smaller side of these camps.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
@Jacket Bracket:

Are these camps invitation only? Also, besides the travel costs and possible time off from work for the parents to drive to these camps is there also a fee for attending that has to be paid up front?

As old jacket said, there is a cost to attend. I believe they do have some invitation only camps later in the summer. Usually just for Junior and Seniors.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@OldJacketFan:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As old jacket said, there is a cost to attend. I believe they do have some invitation only camps later in the summer. Usually just for Junior and Seniors.
Most of those camps from my memory are wide open but do have some limitations on numbers, so early signups are best.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but unless an elite camp or at first coach eye glance. It is just a way for programs to make some money. After the first glance and no scouting interest it may as well be over for most kids!
That's true to a point but as I recall the money, after the athletic department pays the university for its use of dorms, dining rooms, playing fields, etc. -- maximizing facilities, so to speak -- goes to subsidize pay for the assistant coaches. Used to be a big thing and maybe still is, but back when assistant coaches barely made bus fare from the athletic department. Now they own the athletic dept. I am somewhat familiar with Clemson -- I know someone who works, gratis, the football camp every summer, but for 12-and-under because of the recruiting he wants no part of at the teen level. (Even at 12 they are identified to be tracked. Serious.) But up there coaches are really putting eyeballs on players.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He had a few mentions on TOS but he did not participate in the Nike or other similar camps. We limited him to college camps for a lot of reason, mainly coaching and identifying where he want to go to school. Funny thing was after all that and putting in the time and effort we were on the way back home from his last camp and he looked at me as told me his just didn't want to spend his college years locked into football. I responded to him that if he wasn't ready and wanting to give the 100% it takes then he was making the right decision. He's in his junior year now and loving school and life. It was disappointing to me at the time but there's no doubt in my mind he made the right decision. He had the size (6'5" 285 lbs) and ability, just not the drive to do it. Hindsight being what it is, he made the right decision(at age 18), I couldn't be prouder!
You should be proud. The boy made an adult decision at 18, and you supported it. Now he can sit in the stands on Saturday and make a college-age fool of himself, just being a fan. Good on both of you.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

I disagree, you go in a rising freshman or sophomore it can set the players up for serious evaluation over the next 2 years. Most of the players were seen early and continued to physically develop. Plus you get to know the coaching staff and they get to know you. Now if you're speaking of a 150lb OG at the 9th grade level you may well be right but if the young man is a serious players the camps of very beneficial.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree, you go in a rising freshman or sophomore it can set the players up for serious evaluation over the next 2 years. Most of the players were seen early and continued to physically develop. Plus you get to know the coaching staff and they get to know you. Now if you're speaking of a 150lb OG at the 9th grade level you may well be right but if the young man is a serious players the camps of very beneficial.

Good to hear that Old Jacket! That information is consistant with the advice I have received.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
OJF for the most part you are right. However it is the first impression that will make a difference. My best friend's grandson who was a 6` 3`` 220lb te. was told he was being officially recruited! Then went to one of the non elite camps. Got one look and that was that. Excellent all co. high school player, but lacked some quality???

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let me add one other thing. If your son plays outside of a metro area or an area that is not a known football area the camps are an additional bonus. My son played in Nashville. While it's a metro are, unless you're playing for one of the private schools (Ensworth, JPII, eyc) you can forget about any local media attention while playing for a Nashville public high school!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OJF for the most part you are right. However it is the first impression that will make a difference. My best friend's grandson who was a 6` 3`` 220lb te. was told he was being officially recruited! Then went to one of the non elite camps. Got one look and that was that. Excellent all co. high school player, but lacked some quality???
It could be a number of things one does not normally see but college coaches look for, depending on the position to be played: small hands? slender wrists? thick wrists? short arms? (This is seen as a particular detriment for O linemen prospects.) Unfortunately sometimes it does not go beyond that.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
You are right on! So in my opinion if I was a family member of a non elite. I would ask any friend Who actually played or had a real closeness to the college game to me an honest assessment!