Flu Numbers This Year due to Covid

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Working from home, social dististancing, wearing a mask, washing hands, will all really help stop the spread of a disease that's primary transmission method is on micro particles.

That is not political, that is just the way that these types of diseases work. I have been tracking the number in Australia since they are always the leading edge into flu season, and they are sharply down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This makes sense considering there are a lot of people wearing face masks, prolifically washing hands, and social distancing these days. You would have to assume that's a lot of people taking themselves out of the seasonal flu infection chain.

Also what some on here have said, people are being aggressive about taking flu shots this year in anticipation another Covid wave. It gives you hope that if we continue wear face masks in public, wash our hands, and social distance, we can beat down Covid once we get a viable vaccine.

Deleted member 2897

Dr. Brett Giroir, a leading public health official on the COVID task force, was on The Today Show this morning. He said we’re only using 1/3rd of our testing capacity currently. That’s a really good sign, because that means if the case load increases and the flu also begins to rear its head we’ll still have ample resources for quick test result turnarounds.

I have to admit I’m worried about the basketball season. They’ve announced a positive test result removes a player from circulation for 14 days. That’s 4-6 games missed. You get a couple positives and pretty quickly you could have a super thin bench.

I like our lineup this year. Saba, Howard, Moses. We have several people at every position should we run into any minor issue. Would be pretty 2020 for us to be looking at our best year in a decade and then have the season fall apart.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember Fauci saying early on that COVID would help with the flu, for the reasons given above. He couldn't suppress a small smile at that; he and the entire epidemiological community around the world has been trying to get people to wear masks and wash their hands during flu season for decades. After we get a COVID vaccine, I think we will see a marked decrease in flu deaths going forward. The 30 - 60K deaths from the flu every year are completely unnecessary.