Flop Blocks

neverquit

Georgia Tech Fan
Is it just me or have we changed adjusted our blocking techniques? I know that we are still using cut block techniques but it seems that we are more frequently own our feet engaged with the defender? What say you five?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or have we changed adjusted our blocking techniques? I know that we are still using cut block techniques but it seems that we are more frequently own our feet engaged with the defender? What say you five?
Yes - we are holding in all types of drive blocking. Flop threads have come and gone for years. The league is really after chop blocks so long term we really have no choice.

Look at the downfield ol guys grabbing and blocking- cant legally cut . We are pretty effectuve at putting lb off balance and NOT CREATING A PILE for the runner to avoid..
Watch little Brantly I at LT - he can scoot into space, drift along and effectively grab block

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we cut block far less than most people realize. The changes in blocking rules have probably led to even less cut blocking. An increase in general OL talent probably also contributes.

Just my hair-brained thoughts.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So what i think we've done is taken the choice out of it. When paul johnson says something like " simplify the offense" that is usually what he means. My guess is before we had a choice for the lineman, cut or don't based on what you see. The problem with that is everyone ends up seeing things differently so you end up with a missed assignment, missed read, and TFL. Now i woudl bet that they are practicing one or 2 blcoking schemes per play a week and what they execute is probably based on what cpj calls with minor alteration and the rule is probably drive block. That would explain the clamping down on our splits form 2 yards to about 1. Driving and twisting and lien stunts work best in a phone booth.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It also helps a lot that Coach has been given TQM some checks pregame for different defensive fronts so that when they stunt and shift pre snap we have the option to get something else going. To all the people out there in cyberland who say Coach can't Coach, I would suggest you review the post game pressers and listen to the kids who are, ya know, being coached.

I think the same can be said about coach giving simplified blocking assignments, though I don't have any data to point to, the eyetest shows us being more vanilla and driving guys back or blowing them up instead of a guard trying for a block and a tackle trying for a cut.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing: it is true that we are holding more. It is also true that we still hit people first.

I think this is one reason opposing Ds hate to play us. Everyone has gotten used to zone blocking schemes. You get really big OLs, they go out and hold opposing DLs, dance around with them, and the RBs run for where they can find a crease. The solution for that is to find really big DLs and try to out strength the OL for the other side. It is all pretty much upper body strength and, to a lesser extent, speed off the LOS.

Tech is different. No matter how we block, drive or cut, the first order of business is to hit the opposing DL, hard and low. Further, since our plays don't involve as much picking and choosing by our RBs, the hole we hit is the one that gets the most attention. This business of getting hit hard and then held is not what our opponents are used to and it causes them sleepless nights as a consequence. One of the uniform comments about playing Tech is "… we expect a hard, physical game from them." Sure enough. The way to equalize talent differences in today's football is to play "a hard, physical game", largely because that isn't what people usually expect.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
One thing: it is true that we are holding more. It is also true that we still hit people first.

I think this is one reason opposing Ds hate to play us. Everyone has gotten used to zone blocking schemes. You get really big OLs, they go out and hold opposing DLs, dance around with them, and the RBs run for where they can find a crease. The solution for that is to find really big DLs and try to out strength the OL for the other side. It is all pretty much upper body strength and, to a lesser extent, speed off the LOS.

Tech is different. No matter how we block, drive or cut, the first order of business is to hit the opposing DL, hard and low. Further, since our plays don't involve as much picking and choosing by our RBs, the hole we hit is the one that gets the most attention. This business of getting hit hard and then held is not what our opponents are used to and it causes them sleepless nights as a consequence. One of the uniform comments about playing Tech is "… we expect a hard, physical game from them." Sure enough. The way to equalize talent differences in today's football is to play "a hard, physical game", largely because that isn't what people usually expect.
Agree 100%. We have a nuanced game behind the line, but the boys in the trenches still show up to work with their hard hats and work boots. I LOVE seeing the play from our line the last two weeks. They are returning to road grading, and if we can keep it up against Duke I will be happy dancing like a fool

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
This is: "Old School Football" at the LOS. Defensive linemen Don't like to get hit. They'd rather be the initiators of contact and are used to going against the RPO spread offenses with the QB 7 yards deep every play. When they play GT or a service academy, they are going to get hit, cut, and pounded on EVERY play. Right now our O-Line is getting after folks and the B-Backs are really starting to blossom.

That's why when you have a stud pass rusher on defense, they are essentially neutralized when playing against the GT Option offense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It also helps a lot that Coach has been given TQM some checks pregame for different defensive fronts so that when they stunt and shift pre snap we have the option to get something else going. To all the people out there in cyberland who say Coach can't Coach, I would suggest you review the post game pressers and listen to the kids who are, ya know, being coached.

I think the same can be said about coach giving simplified blocking assignments, though I don't have any data to point to, the eyetest shows us being more vanilla and driving guys back or blowing them up instead of a guard trying for a block and a tackle trying for a cut.

re: Coach can't coach--the problem is that he has a SENIOR QB with an experienced OFFense mainly and yet from the season start we looked "uncoached"-finally we look good (BG game not a real test)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I heard thus was requested by players before usf. It has been simplified since coach got involved.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I thought this was going to be an over/under on the number of times Dookie flopped after they were blocked. If they beat us it will either come down to fumbles or BS penalties as a result of them whining like little girls all game.