First Year Coaching Grades

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
If we're making the analogy to grading in class, pretty much every class I took in GT had a curve that was based on your classmates' results. Seeing how we ended up last in the Coastal division...

I do not recall any classes that graded on a curve. Especially in Aerospace Engineering. Maybe there were, but you either made the grade or did not.

To quote Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try".

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not recall any classes that graded on a curve. Especially in Aerospace Engineering. Maybe there were, but you either made the grade or did not.

To quote Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try".
I had plenty. When a professor sucks at teaching and curriculum planning and doesn’t want to explain to the administration why 90% of the class failed, he curves the tests so that the numbers look normal. Then he can get back to his important research without being bothered with silly things like being an educator.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Coach Collins was hired to change the culture and massively upgrade the talent. He has done both to a certain extent. However, recruiting four star running backs, wide receivers, and defensive backs is not going to be a game changer. Recruiting offensive linemen, particularly tackles, and defensive linemen tackles again will be difference makers. Can he do it? Only through relentless recruiting and a total commitment in resources can this be done. I am hopeful and positive moving forward but we need to be much better next year and win at least 6 games. A tough row to hoe with the schedule being what it is. At some point, he will be judged, like all coaches, on wins and losses. A "C" grade seems fair given the challenges and what appears to be the makings of a possibly historic recruiting class if it holds together. Losing to Temple and the Citadel drag the grade down but any season that you beat Miami can't be all bad.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It seems they talked to Collins and to an NFL coach/former Tech man. But in truth there weren't any name brands out there wanting the Tech job.

They talked to Whisenhunt. Wound up not offering him the job.
Turned to Collins next.

GT_EE78

Banned
the C sounds reasonable.
breakdown could be a B+ for recruiting and D- for on field coaching.
Running a scheme for the talent you have obviously was a difficult challenge.
I wonder if CGC ever "took ownership" for mis-stating what the ref said about
when the clock starting in the FCS Citadel game ...?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After a couple of brews and an a## kicking of the dawgs. I will say I hope Collins is the man.

I love his intensity and his emphasis on recruiting. After recently losing an OL recruit, I hope he can keep this class after a disappointing year. Or improve it with grad transfers and poaching other schools. (Please get a kicker)

Game day performance by the staff needs to improve. I just did not see game to game improvement this year. I know injuries hurt. Perhaps the Oline showed up better considering the attrition. But the defense did not seem to improve. And I was especially disappointed in special teams performance, which I thought would be an improvement this year.

Did Oliver get on the special high intensity training list, because his touches seems to decrease as the season progressed. (Still think he was the most potent offensive weapon).

Which leads me to my estimation that a C is generous. Too many worsts. Shut outs. Worst loss to the dawgs in years still hurts. Just a really disappointing season. Gold colored glasses cannot mask how bad it was. Rankings in the ACC.

I know it is the Christmas season, but no gifts, my grade is a solid D. He made it through the season, but showed no signs of brilliance. The Institute does not accept mediocrity.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I had plenty. When a professor sucks at teaching and curriculum planning and doesn’t want to explain to the administration why 90% of the class failed, he curves the tests so that the numbers look normal. Then he can get back to his important research without being bothered with silly things like being an educator.

I once got an 8 on a Gas Turbines exam and got a B.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
A look back at what ACC coaches said anonymously about us before the season. It’s pretty obvious why they are coaches compared to us. They were spot on.

"The new coaching staff has brought in a lot of attention. They really needed that, because Georgia Tech has been asleep for a long time. But this is still a transition year. They have to keep doing all the social media PR stuff, because when you're undoing a triple-option roster, you're gonna get your butt handed to you for a bit."

"They're going to have to rework their entire offensive line. We've had some visiting coaches who saw Tech tell us they're a ways off of being even decent. That's what you expect, though. These guys are smaller, four-point stance guys who have never gone into proper pass protection schemes."

"Tobias Oliver is their best quarterback, but he's definitely a triple guy. They could end up starting someone new if he can't make the throws."

"They have no tight end position, so they'll have to build that from scratch. They have no possession receivers and a lot of dudes who block and break out wide open on play-actions. Lots of work there."

"Defensively is a little bit better news — at least they have the right kind of bodies. They lost most of their key guys under Ted Roof. They were bad at creating pressures last year, and we'd been watching their defense get slower and less physical for a while."

"This job has always been a huge program waiting for the right guy. It looks like Geoff Collins is that guy. He’s a native and he can recruit like he’s in the SEC. He could make this team a force to be reckoned with four years from now, and he knows it."

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks for posting this southpaw. It puts things in proper perspective after the season we had. I hate the offseason. Went to the Memphis - Cinci game yesterday so I could squeeze in one last game (live) for the year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
C- in just the coaching aspect, but recruiting is half of it and I give him a B+ so far for that, C+ or B- overall.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't misread the question at all.

An A is "exemplary" performance. A B is "above standard". A C is "standard". A D is "deficient". An F is "unsatisfactory".

Our society today is too afraid of providing feedback because we think it's going to hurt someone's feelings. I ran businesses. And no matter how much I told my boss, "We have recruited and upgraded talent, we have launched new products, we have a new strategy" … at the end of the year, "How much money did you make?". It wasn't … Oh,, except for this or except for that. It's a hard reality. The hope is that by being BLUNT and that 3-9 is totally UNSATISFACTORY, the program will continue to improve.

I see no purpose in giving everyone a pass because of "first year jitters". These are grown men.

Agree.... 6-6 gets you a C, as that is average....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree.... 6-6 gets you a C, as that is average....

But the coaching staff is only part of what makes the record. Would you give all the players on the team the same grade? They all went 3-9. The question is what would the coaching staff get, not the team. The team was 3-9. The coaches just got here. Actually, they should get an incomplete.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think this is what's happening with my Botany Prof lol

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But the coaching staff is only part of what makes the record. Would you give all the players on the team the same grade? They all went 3-9. The question is what would the coaching staff get, not the team. The team was 3-9. The coaches just got here. Actually, they should get an incomplete.

I remember getting promoted to a senior role in mid November. The yearly results were expected to be disastrous. I got a F and was on site for all of six weeks.

Players don’t control resources. Or set budgets. Or design practice. Coaches do.

While it’s fine to say Geoff got an F and we’re hopeful he’ll improve, it’s not proper to give him an A because we hope he’ll improve. That’s not a report card.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
A look back at what ACC coaches said anonymously about us before the season. It’s pretty obvious why they are coaches compared to us. They were spot on.

"The new coaching staff has brought in a lot of attention. They really needed that, because Georgia Tech has been asleep for a long time. But this is still a transition year. They have to keep doing all the social media PR stuff, because when you're undoing a triple-option roster, you're gonna get your butt handed to you for a bit."

"They're going to have to rework their entire offensive line. We've had some visiting coaches who saw Tech tell us they're a ways off of being even decent. That's what you expect, though. These guys are smaller, four-point stance guys who have never gone into proper pass protection schemes."

"Tobias Oliver is their best quarterback, but he's definitely a triple guy. They could end up starting someone new if he can't make the throws."

"They have no tight end position, so they'll have to build that from scratch. They have no possession receivers and a lot of dudes who block and break out wide open on play-actions. Lots of work there."

"Defensively is a little bit better news — at least they have the right kind of bodies. They lost most of their key guys under Ted Roof. They were bad at creating pressures last year, and we'd been watching their defense get slower and less physical for a while."

"This job has always been a huge program waiting for the right guy. It looks like Geoff Collins is that guy. He’s a native and he can recruit like he’s in the SEC. He could make this team a force to be reckoned with four years from now, and he knows it."
If I told y'all how those quotes were generated, it would blow y'all's mind.