First Team Meeting Video

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have spent some more time thinking about all of this. I had asked a question to the guys who post regularly here that are or were affiliated with the players and in a position to know how they are reacting to the schtick. My concern at the time, was this it felt like the highlights in the video were intended to speak to people WATCHING the program more than the kids INSIDE the program. I was curious if that was a quirk of smart editing (pulling the content most apropos to an external audience) or somewhere further along the spectrum of possibilities ranging all the way to the furthest point: with it being representative of the whole message (which I was concerned might be a huge turnoff for the players, feeling like props in a social media campaign for coach's ego).

I have appreciated the people who have insight into the mindset of the guys in our lockerroom posting their hot takes of the attitude inside the program. Leading and inspiring a group of young men is a challenge in and of itself so I will leave my own wants and desires out of the rubric. I am pleased to see we honored our commitment and didn't process any guys or withdraw schollys, that TStan AND CGC felt that way is even better. We have a helluva program if you sell the right points and this staff seems to be full of guys who preach the value clearly. I am looking forward to the next few years.

The most interesting thing in my opinion is the inverse of CPJ's scheme above all. We will see some new looks if the coaches are planning to adapt their schemes to the players we have. I think it could be really cool to see RPO thrown into the mix of the more run heavy offense we have been. Looking forward to the beer and bourbon this offseason then watching the boys on the flats this spring!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You really think that Clemp would be at where they are if the spending on football had remained at the same comparable level as when Dabo took over? If you do, there are a boatload of time shares I am sure you would love to buy.

You can tell with the staff hires that there has been re-investment in GT football. I expect to see a Duke like commitment but with better results on field.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
kenpagedollars.jpg

Ahh yes good ole Kenneth page, always a favorite of the ignorantly uniformed like our very own dressedcheeseside, who conveniently forgot to mention DABO, kicked him off the team after his freshman year. Yikes, I guess that money, if you believe actually came from clemson, which means they are so dirty, and not a relative that owned an ATM business, didn't mean much to Dabo....

Do a quick search for what the players have actually said about DABO, here just one article for you. I hope GT gets to a place where the players on national television start to recruit because they love the environment that much.

https://sports.yahoo.com/clemson-pl...records-celebrate-dabo-swinney-063756773.html

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
You can tell with the staff hires that there has been re-investment in GT football. I expect to see a Duke like commitment but with better results on field.

I think this is exactly it. Initially, I was hesitant because I just thought it was 2 or 3 years too early for CPJ to resign with Todd Stansbury needing the extra years to build a funding base. At the time of CPJ's hire, the 3O allowed GT to somewhat compete while not actually committing to funding a football program. With the coaching hires, it is starting to look like GT is committed to funding a program and we will get to see what GT can be when given the chance.

Although the video doesn't exactly get me excited, the results (in hires so far) have me very optimistic that this is GT's best chance to build a powerhouse. Only time will tell, but I am looking forward to seeing the results on the field and in the classroom. If this works out, Stansbury should be in the running for AD of the year (is this a thing?).

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
So this looks pretty good, but I do start to wonder how it comes off in person. Would be interested to hear how players are internalizing the messages. It can get trite if everything is a tweetable sound bite.

That said, I love the enthusiasm so hope it comes across as genuine and is amping the boys up.
The players will get more fired up when they need to be. I'm glad we've got coaching staff who will stoke that fire!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We we're still competitive with Clemp when Dabo took over....once they ramped up the spending, they were off to the races. But so many posters here want to keep their head in the sand and think that it is all about the coach. You can put the best race car driver in the world in a Ford focus and it will still lose to a Porsche consistently.
Dabo +$
The head coach is way more than the offensive coordinator or play caller. Culture matters.

The Clemson AD rolled the dice and spent before they had income stream. Dabo and he built the race car.

We had a great oc and limited resources for too long.

Now we We are doing a mini Clemson - with hyper recruiting HC/staff plus a few $ for a little edge center plus a few staff additions.

I am sure u will agree in the sales effort for a professional services company, its vital that past customers give good references. Dabo has made it to that point where his players and their family give great references.

A mini Clemson can beat the you know what out of Dukie and not get slaughtered by factory teams .

As an aside that coaching matters.
in sep 18 my pastor got invited to a closed Clemson practice. He described a 3/4 contact drill that Clemson ran where the ball was placed on the 15 . The play was run and regardless of success the ball was moved 10 yds . The players sprinted to the ball and lined up. Quickly the play and formation were signaled and the ball znapped. During this crazy drill the position coaches AND lot of the backups were right there. Coaches making technique corrections on the fly. There was no cussing at the players about what was wrong. As a pastor, he noted it was a about doing right. Coaching is the final leg in the stool.

We are a very long way from finding out if our new staff can coach. We are even further from finding out if player's family will actively recruit.

Animal02

Banned
Dabo +$
The head coach is way more than the offensive coordinator or play caller. Culture matters.

The Clemson AD rolled the dice and spent before they had income stream. Dabo and he built the race car.

We had a great oc and limited resources for too long.

Now we We are doing a mini Clemson - with hyper recruiting HC/staff plus a few $ for a little edge center plus a few staff additions.

I am sure u will agree in the sales effort for a professional services company, its vital that past customers give good references. Dabo has made it to that point where his players and their family give great references.

A mini Clemson can beat the you know what out of Dukie and not get slaughtered by factory teams .

As an aside that coaching matters.
in sep 18 my pastor got invited to a closed Clemson practice. He described a 3/4 contact drill that Clemson ran where the ball was placed on the 15 . The play was run and regardless of success the ball was moved 10 yds . The players sprinted to the ball and lined up. Quickly the play and formation were signaled and the ball znapped. During this crazy drill the position coaches AND lot of the backups were right there. Coaches making technique corrections on the fly. There was no cussing at the players about what was wrong. As a pastor, he noted it was a about doing right. Coaching is the final leg in the stool.

We are a very long way from finding out if our new staff can coach. We are even further from finding out if player's family will actively recruit.
You obviously "get it" unlike many posters here. ;) (Sorry.....no eye roll for your post....hope you are not disappointed :LOL:)
Would Dabo be where he is without the extra $$.....no, Clemson probably been like Tech with the up an down years.
No telling what CPJ would have done with a similar infusion of cash.
Will Collins get within sniffing distance of Clemson with out the $$$$$......chances are close to nil...
With the $$$$$ he might stand a chance to succeed......as you said, we will find out if the new staff is that final leg.