First scrimmage action of the year today

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd think there would be a decent chance we might see him at both spots. If he remains at Aback through the spring and going into the fall anyway. Should know both positions well enough then to manage it. Still not sure what his aptitude is at finding the hole and busting through it....his chances have been limited thus far though so maybe it's too early to judge that properly.
In track, you don't have to make cuts, in fact, you don't need any agility whatsoever. I wonder if his cone drill times are up to snuff.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I'd think there would be a decent chance we might see him at both spots. If he remains at Aback through the spring and going into the fall anyway. Should know both positions well enough then to manage it. Still not sure what his aptitude is at finding the hole and busting through it....his chances have been limited thus far though so maybe it's too early to judge that properly.
don't know his best position but we know he is not a "natural" runner where ever but it seems to me he is too light for bback

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Kickoff returner, pick and open field and take off. Do not try to run behind blockers, do not try the wedge, do not pass go, do not collect $200,just pick the best open spot in the field and turn on the burners.

Some info

- Justin Thomas and Tim are clearly ahead of Ty and MJ as they should be at this point.

- Justin Thomas was the better QB today.

- Synjyn Days didn't practice today

- Snoddy played A back

- Chris Griffin is coming along well at T. He's spending a lot on the field and has a great shot to be a starter.

- Laskey, Connors and Custis is the order at B back right now.

- Smelter is clearly our best WR...from what I was told they expect his game to improve another notch this season.

Sounds like a song: "Daddy sang bass, Snoddy played A-back"

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kickoff returner, pick and open field and take off. Do not try to run behind blockers, do not try the wedge, do not pass go, do not collect $200,just pick the best open spot in the field and turn on the burners.

Or line him up at A, have him sprint downfield fast as he can go and see if he can outrun the defensive backs for a touchdown completion.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this. If nothing else, I refuse to believe we can't turn him into a kick returner. Instincts help a lot (a la Golden) but it's not like punt returns where you have to have confidence catching the ball and make the first guy miss. All you have to do is remember which direction the blocking scheme is and run that way. With his speed he'd get lucky at least once/twice a year and break one just from running straight ahead.

Not a bad idea above as well to just have him run a route and try to get behind. I'm thinking something like the play we opened the MTSU game with in 2011. Where we had Zenon line up at BB and just run a wheel route down the sideline - I think we did it with Laskey in '12 against UVA as well. Both went for easy (long) TDs with LBs trying to run with RBs down the sideline.

There simply has to be a way to get that kind of speed some touches in a game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. If nothing else, I refuse to believe we can't turn him into a kick returner. Instincts help a lot (a la Golden) but it's not like punt returns where you have to have confidence catching the ball and make the first guy miss. All you have to do is remember which direction the blocking scheme is and run that way. With his speed he'd get lucky at least once/twice a year and break one just from running straight ahead.

Not a bad idea above as well to just have him run a route and try to get behind. I'm thinking something like the play we opened the MTSU game with in 2011. Where we had Zenon line up at BB and just run a wheel route down the sideline - I think we did it with Laskey in '12 against UVA as well. Both went for easy (long) TDs with LBs trying to run with RBs down the sideline.

There simply has to be a way to get that kind of speed some touches in a game.
yep, the MUCH easier possibility is as KO returner

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Snoddy and seen him improve at B Back. His play time in 2013 scrimmages showed improvement.

His one KO return I remember showed indecision and running away from contact. He also had one reversal play where he pulls a Vad in not following through with the system. I think he over analyzes his field of vision and needs to build his runner instincts.

Snoddy's best runs were on a diamond formation sprinting to the outside away from contact from the inside.

We have a few runners that shy from contact versus trying to squeeze past contact. Almost all our A backs slow when they see contact coming versus trying to run past. I am not talking about seeking a head on collision, but a Godhigh squeeze. But, Godhigh's squeezes ended up in smashes at times. The best A Backs don't slow or pause but run like hell for the edge of a tackler, or even break back inside. When you re-watch last years games, look at what the A backs do when the LB are headed right for them from the inside (they slow down and prepare for a hit). The good ones don't slow down (Perkins and Andrews and the few times I saw Donavan in scrimmages don't slow down).

You can be fast but not a good runner. To be good I think you need to develop a since of space, field of vision, instinctive pathing, and a willingness to head into the grinder. I'll take a slower instinctive runner (Godhigh) over any of our speedsters.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I like Snoddy and seen him improve at B Back. His play time in 2013 scrimmages showed improvement.

His one KO return I remember showed indecision and running away from contact. He also had one reversal play where he pulls a Vad in not following through with the system. I think he over analyzes his field of vision and needs to build his runner instincts.

Snoddy's best runs were on a diamond formation sprinting to the outside away from contact from the inside.

We have a few runners that shy from contact versus trying to squeeze past contact. Almost all our A backs slow when they see contact coming versus trying to run past. I am not talking about seeking a head on collision, but a Godhigh squeeze. But, Godhigh's squeezes ended up in smashes at times. The best A Backs don't slow or pause but run like hell for the edge of a tackler, or even break back inside. When you re-watch last years games, look at what the A backs do when the LB are headed right for them from the inside (they slow down and prepare for a hit). The good ones don't slow down (Perkins and Andrews and the few times I saw Donavan in scrimmages don't slow down).

You can be fast but not a good runner. To be good I think you need to develop a since of space, field of vision, instinctive pathing, and a willingness to head into the grinder. I'll take a slower instinctive runner (Godhigh) over any of our speedsters.

Duke game comes to mind..I remember thinking on one play that I actually got to see a bit of his speed.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think he looked pretty good on midline v. Ala. A&M. He also had some nice runs up the gut v. UVA in 2012.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Snoddy stays at AB for the same reason that Wilson will probably end up there: Hill's medical condition. He's out for the spring by all reports and that doesn't bode well for next season. This is way too bad for us; I've always considered him and Andrews the most promising of our ABs. And, of course, there's reason to believe that he may get well enough by fall. Crohn's can't be cured, but it can be managed and all the way to remission. I hope that's how it works out for Hill - we need him - but not at the extent of endangering his ability to manage the disease.