First half Dook defense

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
First off, I am no expert, just watched ball for a long time. Would love to see ibeeballin break down the defensive tape.

1st drive
1st down because corner playing 10 yards off when it's 3 and 5.
Next, good stop on 3rd down - DE got to QB and forced bad throw, should've been holding

2nd drive
Read option we just play right into the teeth of it how it's drawn up. Turrible. D line blown off the ball.
2nd and 5 read option again, blown off the ball.
Fumble - can't see well but RB just drops ball. No visible blow or strip. Just. Drops it. They were moving ball well though until then.

3rd drive
Probably decent pass rush but good/lucky play call with QB draw. Maybe know our tendencies?
2nd and 5, big cushion on WRs but Mitchel played the RB toss well.
3rd and 3 finally press man coverage on WRs, 6 in the box but basically 2 medium safeties and 1 deep (15+ yards) safety. Decent defense but HORRIBLE spot by the refs.
1st down when DB passes off TE and QB hits TE right after. DB on TE had no reason to break off though, just semi-busted coverage. Bad camera angle to see what safety was doing and why he wasn't there sooner.
Their RB falls forward every time.
2nd and 6, slant is there but QB throws high, hits hands. If a good pass that's probably a TD unless DB makes diving-from-behind tackle.
3rd and 6 good defense, not fooled by option candy, held to 2 yards.
4th and 4 good defense on the different QB, rolls out and gets eaten up.

4th drive
Show pressure super early, bring 6, no gain. Next play inverted read option and gaping hole for QB.
Step looks to turn out of backpedal super quick and gives up come back.
Dook went to hurry up with hard prairie dog and we never change defense from initial alignment and call. Dook delay of game though. 1st and 15.
Here is prime example of our cushion biting us. Instead of playing more with the WR, we "keep it in front" for a first down. The comeback is open all day. No pressure on QB.
RB falls forward
2nd and 6 Throw deeper outside ball when outside safety blitz forces early throw, but WR is wide open, freshman QB panicked a little - if he settles down and steps into throw that's a TD. Pocket was collapsing a little though besides the blitz.
Just a good throw and catch for 1st down to TE on slant up the middle.
Okay coverage by Corey, made a play on the ball and missed. We brought 6 but they picked all of it up since we blitzed directly into blockers. TE scores.

5th drive
(Idk how they didn't call KO returner down. He knees bounces off the ground.)
Good defense on 1st play, Dlineman beats his man! This looks like a film study play - everyone knew what was coming and ate it up.
2nd play, QB makes bad throw and there was 6-10 yards there for the TE. Not good defense.
3rd and 8 this is apparently our 3rd and long defense: press man outside, but 2 deep safeties and 1 super deep. 6 in box. LBer trying to cover inside TE. Safeties drop back at snap?!? It's like we are expecting to defend a Hail Mary. Give up 1st down instead of getting off field. That was a good throw but not sure what safeties are looking at or doing. AJ Gray just kinda stands there.
Decent defense on read option - D-line sheds blocks and stops RB.
Big run on read option as everyone is blocked into oblivion but AJ Gray makes up for brain fart with great hustle play to cause fumble.

6th drive
Lol Parker Braun on punt with personal foul - I couldn't see what he did but looks like he just wanted to hit somebody. Nobody fusses at him on sideline though.
1st down we show blitz early but again run right into blockers. Give up 7 yard run.
2nd and 3 we go into our 3rd and long defense, Dooks play works beautifully but QB just throws the ball behind the wide open 1st down WR. Again the play is there but Dook just misses.
3rd and 3 same defense but 3 deep safeties all walk up closer and press man outside. Double A gap blitz and safeties coming up good play. This is good example of being the hammer and not the nail, no gain, maybe 1.
4th and 2 they go hurry up and we show blitz, but they call timeout. After timeout defense is not lined up and idk why WB doesn't snap the ball. Gives us a chance to get set and we call punt block and bring 7 and actually get in the backfield.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
So that's what saw and here's what I think. Roof has no trust or faith in anybody. All of the DBs are coached to move backwards and keep everything in front of them. You can see with the way they look to turn and run and the way they move backwards despite what's happening in front of them, it's been drilled in to them that if they have ANYbody behind them they're gonna run stadiums. In general there is not a spirit of aggression or meanness that is being instilled into the defense. It's more a spirit of "don't mess up."

The D line is sporadic. Sometimes they're on skates and sometimes they do pretty good. However, it looks like we get coached to engage the O-line. Nobody is exploding into a gap. We stand up and play patty cake and for the most part the O line has leverage. We get held A LOT but need more explosion and possibly theatrics to get some flags. Fight through guys. Steak dinner for anybody who gets a sack.

You can see the excitement though on the defense when we get aggressive. I would bring 7 more often because it fires the guys up and invariably SOMEbody manages to squirt through. I would have our DBs stay in their backpedal longer and not be so quick to turn. I think a little bit of trust and little bit more hammer mentality would go a long way. We play almost timid, but are just waiting to break out of this into a decent defense if someone would turn 'em loose.

I don't know what the thought process is when we are in nickel and have 3 guys deep but the outside DBs are playing press. It's like an open invitation to run for 7+ yards up the middle or throw in the middle for 7 to 10. Especially since at the snap everybody moves backwards. I thought EVERYBODY's defensive philosophy started with defending the field from the inside out. We do not own the middle in this alignment and this mentality.

If you were a Dook fan in the first half you were thinking this thing is well within reach if coach can just get QB to relax a little and hit some throws that are there. And RBs need to hang onto the ball but offense is working and on the verge of scoring a lot more.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you were a Dook fan in the first half you were thinking this thing is well within reach if coach can just get QB to relax a little and hit some throws that are there.

IF I were a Duke fan, I would be likely thinking "how in the heck have I ended up supporting a school full of transplanted northern kids who has shown little to no support for Fb during my lifetime. Plus I don't even like coach K". but that's just me.;)

actually, when I watch them I am always impressed with how well coached they appear to be and how much more talented they are under Cutcliffe. He has done a great job there. i always thought Spurrier was a genius because he won an ACC championship there, not because he won a NC at UF. IMO, the former is more impressive than the latter.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
3 dbs on that team in the nfl
If gamble goes. 2 on the dl

Potentially 5 nfl players on the 2014 d. Go look at that d. Is it talent? So now we need 10 nfl players at tech to be good lol

We play patty cake on the dl. Vs penetration gap spills.
We play a third level d that leaves massive gaps and doesnt mesh with the second level d. We backpedal at snap when already 15 yards off. That is senseless and scheme. It creates massive gaps in the seams. Now this should hit home...,,

If you have massive gaps in the seams what positions exploit those? Slot wr and TE. Hmmm? Skinny posts, slants and seam verts. Hmmmm. Sound familiar.

Its so much scheme oriented it truly frustrates the heck out of me.

Even cutcliffe said post game he knows u can exploit us with the Te and that was their plan. Film dont lie. Their qb had a career day and is not that great

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned
First off, I am no expert, just watched ball for a long time. Would love to see ibeeballin break down the defensive tape.

1st drive
Next, good stop on 3rd down - DE got to QB and forced bad throw, should've been holding

2nd drive
Read option we just play right into the teeth of it how it's drawn up. Turrible. D line blown off the ball.
Fumble - can't see well but RB just drops ball. No visible blow or strip. Just. Drops it. They were moving ball well though until then.

3rd drive
Probably decent pass rush but good/lucky play call with QB draw. Maybe know our tendencies?
3rd and 3 finally press man coverage on WRs, 6 in the box but basically 2 medium safeties and 1 deep (15+ yards) safety. Decent defense but HORRIBLE spot by the refs.
1st down when DB passes off TE and QB hits TE right after. DB on TE had no reason to break off though, just semi-busted coverage. Bad camera angle to see what safety was doing and why he wasn't there sooner.
2nd and 6, slant is there but QB throws high, hits hands. If a good pass that's probably a TD unless DB makes diving-from-behind tackle.

4th drive
Show pressure super early, bring 6, no gain. Next play inverted read option and gaping hole for QB.
Dook went to hurry up with hard prairie dog and we never change defense from initial alignment and call. Dook delay of game though. 1st and 15.
Here is prime example of our cushion biting us. Instead of playing more with the WR, we "keep it in front" for a first down. The comeback is open all day. No pressure on QB.
RB falls forward
2nd and 6 Throw deeper outside ball when outside safety blitz forces early throw, but WR is wide open, freshman QB panicked a little - if he settles down and steps into throw that's a TD. Pocket was collapsing a little though besides the blitz.
Okay coverage by Corey, made a play on the ball and missed. We brought 6 but they picked all of it up since we blitzed directly into blockers. TE scores.

5th drive
Good defense on 1st play, Dlineman beats his man! This looks like a film study play - everyone knew what was coming and ate it up.
2nd play, QB makes bad throw and there was 6-10 yards there for the TE. Not good defense.
3rd and 8 this is apparently our 3rd and long defense: press man outside, but 2 deep safeties and 1 super deep. 6 in box. LBer trying to cover inside TE. Safeties drop back at snap?!? It's like we are expecting to defend a Hail Mary. Give up 1st down instead of getting off field. That was a good throw but not sure what safeties are looking at or doing. AJ Gray just kinda stands there.
Big run on read option as everyone is blocked into oblivion but AJ Gray makes up for brain fart with great hustle play to cause fumble.

6th drive
Lol Parker Braun on punt with personal foul - I couldn't see what he did but looks like he just wanted to hit somebody. Nobody fusses at him on sideline though.
1st down we show blitz early but again run right into blockers. Give up 7 yard run.
2nd and 3 we go into our 3rd and long defense, Dooks play works beautifully but QB just throws the ball behind the wide open 1st down WR. Again the play is there but Dook just misses.
3rd and 3 same defense but 3 deep safeties all walk up closer and press man outside. Double A gap blitz and safeties coming up good play. This is good example of being the hammer and not the nail, no gain, maybe 1.
4th and 2 they go hurry up and we show blitz, but they call timeout. After timeout defense is not lined up and idk why WB doesn't snap the ball. Gives us a chance to get set and we call punt block and bring 7 and actually get in the backfield.
Good observations. I pretty much thought the same thing. Turnovers did put us in a bind, however; the defense didn't look like it would stop Duke, whether it was 10 yards or 90 yards. I fully agree that the D has no teeth in their bite. I refuse to think we have the least talented players in college football. Or least our defensive ranking, doesn't reflect the talent on the team. It our talent level dwelled in the 80s, then I would expect to have a 80 or so ranked team. Anyone know (recruit wise) where the defense ranks? Just curious to the the difference between the talent and the overall FEI defense ranking.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I was disappointed that CPJ mentioned difficulty recruiting DL last night.

Duke went from #55 in tackles for loss per game 2015 to #20 now. They also hired BCs DL coach. Coincidence?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I was disappointed that CPJ mentioned difficulty recruiting DL last night..

Were you surprised by that comment? Except for the past two seasons, we've had challenges recruiting high impact DLineman, specifically DTs. It's been said several times that as a position group, DLinemen have lower GPAs.

Are there high impact DLineman available that can also handle the academic rigors of GT? I'm sure there are however finding them has always been a the challenge. We've had some success in the states of LA (Greg Gathers comes to mind) and FL (KCH most recently). Maybe we need to expand our recruiting for this position in particular.

When I last looked, we have not signed any DLineman yet for the Class of 2017.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Were you surprised by that comment? Except for the past two seasons, we've had challenges recruiting high impact DLineman, specifically DTs. It's been said several times that as a position group, DLinemen have lower GPAs.

Are there high impact DLineman available that can also handle the academic rigors of GT? I'm sure there are however finding them has always been a the challenge. We've had some success in the states of LA (Greg Gathers comes to mind) and FL (KCH most recently). Maybe we need to expand our recruiting for this position in particular.

If the topic is recruiting, then yeah it's an issue. If the topic is performance, when we are bottom 30 of 128 in key categories, then I don't think it's the driver.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One note to add. I am not entirely certain how much this has to do with our overall D, but I have noticed that they tend to polay better when we give them a decent rest between series. In the first half, other than the opening drive, we tended to either score in 3 plays, or go three and out. A lot of our drives were in the 1:30-2:30 range. In the second half, we had similar results. We get a great third down stop on Dooks opening possession, and hit the QB as he's throwing to force the INT. Then we immediately fumble the ball back to them and put the D right back on the field. Then we fumble the KO and again, put them in a disadvantageous position. Now I know that doesn't explain everything that's gone wrong with our D this year, but I would have to think that our lack of true death marches this year have impacted to some degree. I haven't done the research, but I would imagine that teams with explosive, quick strike offenses probably see similar results on D.

Thoughts?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
One note to add. I am not entirely certain how much this has to do with our overall D, but I have noticed that they tend to polay better when we give them a decent rest between series. In the first half, other than the opening drive, we tended to either score in 3 plays, or go three and out. A lot of our drives were in the 1:30-2:30 range. In the second half, we had similar results. We get a great third down stop on Dooks opening possession, and hit the QB as he's throwing to force the INT. Then we immediately fumble the ball back to them and put the D right back on the field. Then we fumble the KO and again, put them in a disadvantageous position. Now I know that doesn't explain everything that's gone wrong with our D this year, but I would have to think that our lack of true death marches this year have impacted to some degree. I haven't done the research, but I would imagine that teams with explosive, quick strike offenses probably see similar results on D.

Thoughts?

I think that is where some like to consider the Time of Possession stat as an indicator. I personally don't think it matters as much unless you are scoring (preferably with 7 points) with each possession.

I like when we have 10+ play drives as that does give the defense a chance to rest and review tendencies of the opponents offense, i.e. in game coaching.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

1st drive

2nd drive

3rd drive

4th drive
RB falls forward

5th drive

6th drive
On the replay the first fumble looked like a strip, but it was kinda hard to tell with all the guys around the ball.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

We run a vanilla scheme that is concerned with keeping everything in front of us, relying on an individual player to make a play rather than putting the whole D in a position to do so. I believe this is why often when we do get pressure we overpursue.

Jmonty71

Banned

Thoughts?
With us losing the TOP game recently, I'd think the coaching staff is going to focus more on the D getting the other team off the field. We seem to have quick strike TDs and less 8 minute drives. Regardless of what the offense does, it the defense's job to get the ball back. Be it turnover, 4th down series or a punt.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Thoughts?

I completely agree this is an issue for our defense. What I think is that TOP tends to indicate whether you are wearing out the opposing defense, or whether in turn your own defense is getting worn out.

Our offense has been prolific but not the death marches of past years. To me this exposes our defense, which gets worn down, and the results are plain for us all to see.

I do further agree with the OP that our schemes are to blame as well.

Our defenses weakness is not just one issue.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
3 dbs on that team in the nfl
If gamble goes. 2 on the dl

Potentially 5 nfl players on the 2014 d. Go look at that d. Is it talent? So now we need 10 nfl players at tech to be good lol

We play patty cake on the dl. Vs penetration gap spills.
We play a third level d that leaves massive gaps and doesnt mesh with the second level d. We backpedal at snap when already 15 yards off. That is senseless and scheme. It creates massive gaps in the seams. Now this should hit home...,,

If you have massive gaps in the seams what positions exploit those? Slot wr and TE. Hmmm? Skinny posts, slants and seam verts. Hmmmm. Sound familiar.

Even cutcliffe said post game he knows u can exploit us with the Te and that was their plan. Film dont lie. Their qb had a career day and is not that great

I'm not sure the 2014 defense was that great. They played hard, and had some timely turnovers. But not a great D by any other statistical measure.

I too am frustrated as all get out. I was about to say we have no identity as a defense, but I don't think that's right. We do have an identity, I just don't like it, and I don't think it's the most effective way to coach at this level. And I think it's at odds with PJs own philosophy.

We seem bent on playing straight up, fighting through blocks, keeping the play in front of us. Above all, not screwing up. It makes us hesitant and slow, and is only really effective with physically superior players. (Multiple commenters have mentioned our blitzers look like they're looking for a blocker to engage, instead of looking for gaps. Almost as if they've been drilled so many times to beat blocks that that's all they can see)

CPJ has so many times praised players who go "a hundred miles an hour," who may not know exactly what to do, but they're gonna go hit somebody. It seems to me he's trying to get the defense to play that way, but for whatever reason it's not happening.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm betting that Connor Hansen ends up on D. We already have the center of the future on board and he looks like a prototypical DT. I'm sure Roof has already - shall we say - strongly suggested this to Coach.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So that's what saw and here's what I think. Roof has no trust or faith in anybody. All of the DBs are coached to move backwards and keep everything in front of them. You can see with the way they look to turn and run and the way they move backwards despite what's happening in front of them, it's been drilled in to them that if they have ANYbody behind them they're gonna run stadiums. In general there is not a spirit of aggression or meanness that is being instilled into the defense. It's more a spirit of "don't mess up."

The D line is sporadic. Sometimes they're on skates and sometimes they do pretty good. However, it looks like we get coached to engage the O-line. Nobody is exploding into a gap. We stand up and play patty cake and for the most part the O line has leverage. We get held A LOT but need more explosion and possibly theatrics to get some flags. Fight through guys. Steak dinner for anybody who gets a sack.

You can see the excitement though on the defense when we get aggressive. I would bring 7 more often because it fires the guys up and invariably SOMEbody manages to squirt through. I would have our DBs stay in their backpedal longer and not be so quick to turn. I think a little bit of trust and little bit more hammer mentality would go a long way. We play almost timid, but are just waiting to break out of this into a decent defense if someone would turn 'em loose.

This is Roof's mistake, lack of aggressiveness. I talked to D.J. White a while back and he said they were constantly trying to get Roof to unleash them and let them go!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With us losing the TOP game recently, I'd think the coaching staff is going to focus more on the D getting the other team off the field. We seem to have quick strike TDs and less 8 minute drives. Regardless of what the offense does, it the defense's job to get the ball back. Be it turnover, 4th down series or a punt.

Correct, but that answer dodges the question I raise: How much does the low TOP affect the D?

Jmonty71

Banned
Correct, but that answer dodges the question I raise: How much does the low TOP affect the D?
Theoretically, the lower the TOP will equal a lower point total. That, however; only goes into effect when there aren't quick scores involved. The more the D is resting, the better chances they have to make tackles. It's hard to tackle, when you dog butt tired. Trust me... Which is why big running backs get most of their yards late in games. Our D stays out, and gets tired. That being tired leads to both physical and mental gaps in playing. So, the answer is... It depends on if the D gets off the field via TD or via (punt/turnover).