First Driving Lesson

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I witnessed one just a few minutes ago as I was walking around our neighborhood. An SUV pulled to a stop and a HS aged boy and his Dad opened the doors and swapped sides of the vehicle with the kid climbing in on the driver's side. In my mind I thought "first driving lesson". I was 50 yards behind them and on the other side of the street, so I felt fairly safe.

As I continued my walk, I watched for the signs which indicate a vehicle is about to start moving - brake lights, followed by a flash of reverse lights as the transmission is shifted from P, through R and N, landing at D. Didn't happen. Instead, the SUV revved up, didn't go anywhere, and then revved higher. A few seconds later, the engine returned to idle, the brake lights came on, the reverse lights flashed, and the SUV started slowly up the hill. No harm, no foul, and I got a laugh out of it.

It was a lot easier when I was a kid. I just taught myself (staying on our property in West Cobb) when the parents left me at home by myself. Nobody saw my mistakes.

Not sure how I am gonna teach the boy to drive when that day comes. There are few appropriate places around here now.

slugboy

Staff member
I witnessed one just a few minutes ago as I was walking around our neighborhood. An SUV pulled to a stop and a HS aged boy and his Dad opened the doors and swapped sides of the vehicle with the kid climbing in on the driver's side. In my mind I thought "first driving lesson". I was 50 yards behind them and on the other side of the street, so I felt fairly safe.

As I continued my walk, I watched for the signs which indicate a vehicle is about to start moving - brake lights, followed by a flash of reverse lights as the transmission is shifted from P, through R and N, landing at D. Didn't happen. Instead, the SUV revved up, didn't go anywhere, and then revved higher. A few seconds later, the engine returned to idle, the brake lights came on, the reverse lights flashed, and the SUV started slowly up the hill. No harm, no foul, and I got a laugh out of it.

It was a lot easier when I was a kid. I just taught myself (staying on our property in West Cobb) when the parents left me at home by myself. Nobody saw my mistakes.

Not sure how I am gonna teach the boy to drive when that day comes. There are few appropriate places around here now.
Nearly abandoned mall parking lots are a great place to practice.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I used church parking lots... couldn't hurt, right?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
My first driving lesson was the Sunday after the GT and FSU game in Tallahassee in 2001. On the way home my dad stopped somewhere in South Georgia for a pit stop and asked me if I wanted to drive since we were in a pretty remote location. We skipped around whatever small town we were in for 30 minutes or so then he started giving me directions to the highway for a bigger test.

A little while later he told me I was doing great and to keep going north until He told me to get off. He was asleep within 5 minutes.

pretty sure tailgating got the best of the day before.