Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it's like nobody runs the option anymore. Nobody.

Nobody beyond the academies run the "triple option"/wishbone as a base offense. But, the majority of the offenses run by most college teams have some sort of RPO in their offense which has similar principles to the "triple option" based offense. They just use it for more QB runs and as a basis for passing more.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nobody beyond the academies run the "triple option"/wishbone as a base offense. But, the majority of the offenses run by most college teams have some sort of RPO in their offense which has similar principles to the "triple option" based offense. They just use it for more QB runs and as a basis for passing more.
There has been so much football I cannot remember who, but danged if somebody did not line up in exactly the formation of the spread option, including guys in the A back positions, a B back, and trips left. They didn't run the triple but sure enough they ran the load option for 8 or 9 yards. I think it is interesting that the further Navy moves from the basic triple O set, the worse its record, while Army, with some exeptions , sticks with what brung 'em and wins 9 to 10 games a year. Of course a suspect schedule helps them out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
again, if you look at where this started several pages ago since people can’t understand, the engagement is up on social media a lot. percentage wise we’ve made some of the most growth (not realistic to expect us to beat out bama, notre dame, ohio state etc.)

social media does help recruiting. things like clips of lew carrala speeches, training clips, in game pics etc. will impress recruits on some level. in the NIL era that exposure is a potential gateway to sponsors so it is a legit selling point in recruiting pitches

i have to be honest it is refreshing to see a coach at least TRY to join the 21st century lol

i’m not saying that social media and branding is the backbone of successful football teams by any means but it is objectively something collins has stepped in and improved.

ultimately on the field results this year will probably be the pivotal shift in the tide one way or the other. now the team is basically all his so the rebuild excuse is no more so you can’t sell tech as a future hot spot with another poor season
I must say, what impresses me about this chart is that most of these teams had extraordinary football seasons (a turnaround from the year before or another good year), and among them Georgia Tech had by far the worst - yet we had the highest percentage of gain on social media. Certainly, in this area Geoff has excelled.

vmeBirwt_mini.png

SkullSparks

@SkullSparks
· Jan 5
College athletics departments (FBS) with the largest percent growth in social interactions generated on main accounts in 2021 compared to 2020. http://SkullSparks.com/analytics
Show this thread

1641661852301.png

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I must say, what impresses me about this chart is that most of these teams had extraordinary football seasons (a turnaround from the year before or another good year), and among them Georgia Tech had by far the worst - yet we had the highest percentage of gain on social media. Certainly, in this area Geoff has excelled.

vmeBirwt_mini.png

SkullSparks

@SkullSparks
· Jan 5
College athletics departments (FBS) with the largest percent growth in social interactions generated on main accounts in 2021 compared to 2020. http://SkullSparks.com/analytics
Show this thread

View attachment 11956
one thing is this isnt just football. its all sports. i follow the mens and womens BB, football, the athletics account and i think a few more. i see the most from the main athletics account followed by the BB teams. i see a LOT of volleyball tweets. i think baseball has the least amount seen and football isnt terrible but its not up there with the other sports.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
one thing is this isnt just football. its all sports. i follow the mens and womens BB, football, the athletics account and i think a few more. i see the most from the main athletics account followed by the BB teams. i see a LOT of volleyball tweets. i think baseball has the least amount seen and football isnt terrible but its not up there with the other sports.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had assumed most of the increase was from football.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Just to add, and I have said this before, there are no consequences for poor performance at Tech.
We tend to tolerate poor performance rather than demand excellence.
I am reminded of what happened twice, recently at Auburn (not that Auburn is an exemplar, but it is a good example). First, on the conclusion of the 2020 season, Gus Malzahn was asked about how he viewed the year in review after finishing 6-4. He said something to the effect, "I think we did pretty good considering COVID and all the challenges we faced."

Auburn fired him the next day. AD Greene said, "We don't come to work every day to do "pretty good". We come to work to compete for championships. Gus and Auburn are not aligned on this and we are letting him go."

Harsin fired his receivers coach four games into the season citing too many dropped passes.

That's demanding accountability. We don't do that.

That's not demanding accountability, that's show firing a body for S&Gs. “First of all, he’s a good man and did a very good job for us,” Harsin said of Williams. Bullsh!t. He didn't do a good job, you fired him, ....after four games, ....means you (accountable person) hired the wrong dude. Say that instead!
Same AD Greene and firing Malhzan. This is the same guy that retains Bruce Pearl. So instead of saying Gus and Auburn aren't aligned 😭, say he's not cheating hard enough and lost too many games instead of a steaming pile of AD speak. Accountability my @$$,. Greene intentionally denigrated the former coach in an attempt to elevate his decision to let him go. Tin balls. I wouldn't work for him.

I will say this about releaving people of their jobs. If you hired them and then can't train them, it says at least as much about the manager as the employee. The guys we let go this year had more than enough time to prove their efforts. Time for a change, but at least I don't recollect CGC saying things were just great, but we're making a change anyway.

Thanks for letting me leverage your post to vent Vespidae.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's not demanding accountability, that's show firing a body for S&Gs. “First of all, he’s a good man and did a very good job for us,” Harsin said of Williams. Bullsh!t. He didn't do a good job, you fired him, ....after four games, ....means you (accountable person) hired the wrong dude. Say that instead!
Same AD Greene and firing Malhzan. This is the same guy that retains Bruce Pearl. So instead of saying Gus and Auburn aren't aligned 😭, say he's not cheating hard enough and lost too many games instead of a steaming pile of AD speak. Accountability my @$$,. Greene intentionally denigrated the former coach in an attempt to elevate his decision to let him go. Tin balls. I wouldn't work for him.

I will say this about releaving people of their jobs. If you hired them and then can't train them, it says at least as much about the manager as the employee. The guys we let go this year had more than enough time to prove their efforts. Time for a change, but at least I don't recollect CGC saying things were just great, but we're making a change anyway.

Thanks for letting me leverage your post to vent Vespidae.
No problem. I don't agree with anything you wrote, but I respect your point of view.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cult of Johnson member here. However I support the current HC and have always wanted the current HC to succeed going back to Pepper when I was old enough to know who the HC was.

I felt pessimistic about this season d/t what we had in the trenches. Not enough of what Johnson called "1-8" guys on the lines. Media agreed picking us to finish right where we finished. With the transfers I thought we had the chance to maybe catch lightning in a bottle but basically two NFL prospect guys (Keon White & Ken Kirby) did not for any practical purposes play. The OL from Miss St was hurt too, along another starting guard (PJ holdover) and depth (A. Smith). J. Williams also out for awhile. Did not have the talent/depth to hold up.

The DL needed some guys to mature and be guys who could disrupt or at least get some pressure on QBs. Never happened. Nary a single Gotsis, Attaochu, or other guy to be found. QBs had all day to throw, and for whatever reason we couldn't defend the bomb.

Coaching gaffes contributed to the problem and, well, there you have it.

What we need is better. Coaches and players need to get better. Recruiting needs to be better. Depth needs to be better. Maturity and discipline need to be better. Will we get there? Dunno and I hope so. But it seems Collins is running out of time.
I wouldn’t say nobody on the DL was disruptive or got pressure. I thought Ivey played pretty well, as did Brooks, and Biggers showed some flashes of potential. Domineck didn’t have a good year, but he wasn’t put in a good position to take advantage of his strengths. To have success on DL, you need a minimum of 3 decent big/strong guys on the field at any given time. We usually had 2: Ivey and Brooks (who occasionally was swapped out for Biggers). Domineck is good at what he’s supposed to do, but that’s not the same thing. You need 3 guys who can hold their ground 1-on-1 against an O-lineman (and you’d like your NT to be a guy who can consistently draw double-teams). If Ivey continues to play well and we get good play at Nose Tackle (whether from Biggers or Chimedza), the success of our D-line will depend on 2 things: our ability to develop a competent 3-Tech DT (Lockhart, Scott, Stone, Douse, or KJ Miles) and Collins/Thacker putting them in position to succeed (let Domineck use his speed and technique to get around the edge, and find someone else to handle that B-gap).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t say nobody on the DL was disruptive or got pressure. I thought Ivey played pretty well, as did Brooks, and Biggers showed some flashes of potential. Domineck didn’t have a good year, but he wasn’t put in a good position to take advantage of his strengths. To have success on DL, you need a minimum of 3 decent big/strong guys on the field at any given time. We usually had 2: Ivey and Brooks (who occasionally was swapped out for Biggers). Domineck is good at what he’s supposed to do, but that’s not the same thing. You need 3 guys who can hold their ground 1-on-1 against an O-lineman (and you’d like your NT to be a guy who can consistently draw double-teams). If Ivey continues to play well and we get good play at Nose Tackle (whether from Biggers or Chimedza), the success of our D-line will depend on 2 things: our ability to develop a competent 3-Tech DT (Lockhart, Scott, Stone, Douse, or KJ Miles) and Collins/Thacker putting them in position to succeed (let Domineck use his speed and technique to get around the edge, and find someone else to handle that B-gap).
TECHNIQUE.
DO we run stunts, twists, slants that let our undersized young guys rush the passer.?
Seems like we just keep asking undersized guys to always stay in their lane.
Maybe we are finally big enough to dominate LOS .

slugboy

Staff member
TECHNIQUE.
DO we run stunts, twists, slants that let our undersized young guys rush the passer.?
Seems like we just keep asking undersized guys to always stay in their lane.
Maybe we are finally big enough to dominate LOS .
I’m sure we do stunts, twists, and slants. However, watching the UGA game, their D Line moved, shifted, slanted, etc. on nearly every play. I can’t recall our DL doing any during that game. We seem to be very plain on defense—at least we were in that game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure we do stunts, twists, and slants. However, watching the UGA game, their D Line moved, shifted, slanted, etc. on nearly every play. I can’t recall our DL doing any during that game. We seem to be very plain on defense—at least we were in that game.
Another thing about that game (that I hate to admit), is that in addition to being bigger/faster, their defense looked like they knew what they were doing and were in the correct places. They do have some big/fast guys, and unfortunately they are not squandering the athleticism with confusion or ego. It looked to me as though, for the most part, each player was trying to be in their position and do their job while expecting everyone else to be in their position and do their job. The GT defense was difficult to understand what they were even attempting to do quite a bit this year.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

vmeBirwt_mini.png

SkullSparks

@SkullSparks
· Jan 5
Show this thread

View attachment 11956
Does this include negative replies from the fanbase? That may be most of the growth....