Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If he turns this thing around, he will have gained a huge amount of respect, given his poor start.

I remember my freshman year, I went into my chemistry final with a 54 in the class. The professor clearly stated in the first week to not expect a curve no matter what. The final, however, was divided into 4 sections. The first 3 covered the first 3 tests, the last one was the final 1/4 of the class. It was setup so each section was graded independently so that if you performed better in those, they would replace your previous test scores. I went in with a 54 in the class, after the final I saw my final grade in the class was a 91. I went from a huge dent in my hope scholarship retention, to glory. That was sweet and made me enjoy the class more in hindsight (especially since I am a mechanical engineer and have never enjoyed chemistry).

Important lesson I learned: if you want someone bad enough, you work your butt off, no matter how bleak things may look, there's usually always a way to succeed. Here's hoping CGC finds his way.
You should look on the bright side. You didn't have Carl Dejerassi as a prof (he was the main developer of birth control pills). Once he asked students in one of his advanced classes to write our the most difficult question they could think of and promised to use them in their final exam. Everybody worked hard to come up with questions they thought would stump the other students on the class, mainly because they were stumped them.

Sure enough, on the day of the final Dejerassi brought in the exam papers and passed them out. Each student looked down and, to their dismay, found the question they had written themselves.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program …

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
the last 3 years have sucked out loud. anyone with a passing interest knows that.

next year's team has different players and different coaches. have your feelings hurt all you want about what has happened, but it doesn't impact next year's team.

and, in spite of your personal feelings towards them, next year's coaches are next year's coaches.

if next year is perform or else, the team will perform or else.

there is plenty of info here on transfers coming in, coaching changes, and the like. make your own opinions on any of that to develop your own sense of optimism or pessimism for next year.

some of you just want to wallow around in your butthurt, and believe that griping nonstop about it for now 340 pages somehow advances the program.

have at it.
I just asked him to explain what he perceived to be positive trends. If that’s your definition of butthurt, either (a) one of us is very thin-skinned or (b) we use very different dictionaries.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If, say, Collins leaves at some point in the future, is every thread here going to turn into a CPJ vs Current coach argument?

If we hire a new coach and it's not a triple option coach you can be sure the cult of Johnson will absolutely make it about "needing to something different" and the various other not so subtle ways of saying we need to run the option.

JacketFan137

Banned
I just asked him to explain what he perceived to be positive trends. If that’s your definition of butthurt, either (a) one of us is very thin-skinned or (b) we use very different dictionaries.
literally the thread i replied to said we saw a substantial increase in social media presence. that was all i was responding too lol

it was an objectively positive situation and we have people still crying and bitching SOMEHOW.

that was all i was originally pointing out. nothing about record, on the field performance etc. i have eyes. i have a brain. i know we’ve underperformed in that regard

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If we hire a new coach and it's not a triple option coach you can be sure the cult of Johnson will absolutely make it about "needing to something different" and the various other not so subtle ways of saying we need to run the option.
Most fans just want to win and don't care how we do it. The cult of run anything as long as its not the option is the reason we are in this mess.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Cult of Johnson member here. However I support the current HC and have always wanted the current HC to succeed going back to Pepper when I was old enough to know who the HC was.

I felt pessimistic about this season d/t what we had in the trenches. Not enough of what Johnson called "1-8" guys on the lines. Media agreed picking us to finish right where we finished. With the transfers I thought we had the chance to maybe catch lightning in a bottle but basically two NFL prospect guys (Keon White & Ken Kirby) did not for any practical purposes play. The OL from Miss St was hurt too, along another starting guard (PJ holdover) and depth (A. Smith). J. Williams also out for awhile. Did not have the talent/depth to hold up.

The DL needed some guys to mature and be guys who could disrupt or at least get some pressure on QBs. Never happened. Nary a single Gotsis, Attaochu, or other guy to be found. QBs had all day to throw, and for whatever reason we couldn't defend the bomb.

Coaching gaffes contributed to the problem and, well, there you have it.

What we need is better. Coaches and players need to get better. Recruiting needs to be better. Depth needs to be better. Maturity and discipline need to be better. Will we get there? Dunno and I hope so. But it seems Collins is running out of time.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You should look on the bright side. You didn't have Carl Dejerassi as a prof (he was the main developer of birth control pills). Once he asked students in one of his advanced classes to write our the most difficult question they could think of and promised to use them in their final exam. Everybody worked hard to come up with questions they thought would stump the other students on the class, mainly because they were stumped them.

Sure enough, on the day of the final Dejerassi brought in the exam papers and passed them out. Each student looked down and, to their dismay, found the question they had written themselves.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program …
I remember the time I, oh, wait a minute, this is the Fire Geoff Collins thread…

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
totally comparable situations lol what the heck are you talking about

i don’t know what you guys want. the trend is positive. that’s progress in some area. results on the field are obviously not there. i didn’t comment about that. can y’all just admit in this one facet he is doing something well?
Sure. What is it?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
literally what i originally responded to haha

the social media and branding aspect. he has improved it. it’s not much and obviously i would rather be better on the field but it’s at least something he’s done right
The problem is that it’s goodwill that can be quickly lost by poor performance on the field. That has happened with fans but not yet with recruits, which is good. Another poor year and he will have wasted the capital that he built (and I agree that while it’s not my taste it has been a net positive)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually, you are generally compared to your immediate predecessor. I guess the next coach will have it made. :ROFLMAO:
You are making assumptions (I am assuming based on the emoji). When I look at FSU, UF, Nebraska, Miami, UT (both schools), etc. - excluding the Marylands, Vandys, Oregon States of the world -who have churned through coaches seeking "the answer" I am not convinced there is an exact science to this thing. Assuming it will be better should not be automatic (imo).

Disclaimer: no other thoughts or ideas beyond what I typed above are explicitly or implicitly implied.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
literally what i originally responded to haha

the social media and branding aspect. he has improved it. it’s not much and obviously i would rather be better on the field but it’s at least something he’s done right
Plus recruiting. He has made substantial progress. But he has also demonstrated a substantial drop in coaching skills and managing a team of coaches, adjustments as well as in game management. Much more than offsets the progress he has made. Almost to the point where the other progress is pointless. It has to be across the board progress not just one or two items.

Most of us are hopeful right now after the come to Jesus smack down he got at the end of the year. He know clearly knows his career is in jeopardy if he does not change. This is a good thing. A lot of people make substantial progress when this happens. I am expecting across the board improvements next year. I think 8 wins. or 3-5 wins if CGC did not learn from his mistakes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Plus recruiting. He has made substantial progress. But he has also demonstrated a substantial drop in coaching skills and managing a team of coaches, adjustments as well as in game management. Much more than offsets the progress he has made. Almost to the point where the other progress is pointless. It has to be across the board progress not just one or two items.

Most of us are hopeful right now after the come to Jesus smack down he got at the end of the year. He know clearly knows his career is in jeopardy if he does not change. This is a good thing. A lot of people make substantial progress when this happens. I am expecting across the board improvements next year. I think 8 wins. or 3-5 wins if CGC did not learn from his mistakes.
I HOPE the recruiting is better. So far we only have faith statements that recruiting is better while results on the field have yet to prove that. Recruits get ranked based on a prediction of how they will perform in college. If they don’t perform then the ranking is generally assumed to have been incorrect.

JacketFan137

Banned
How, exactly, and do you figure it's helped the recruiting?
again, if you look at where this started several pages ago since people can’t understand, the engagement is up on social media a lot. percentage wise we’ve made some of the most growth (not realistic to expect us to beat out bama, notre dame, ohio state etc.)

social media does help recruiting. things like clips of lew carrala speeches, training clips, in game pics etc. will impress recruits on some level. in the NIL era that exposure is a potential gateway to sponsors so it is a legit selling point in recruiting pitches

i have to be honest it is refreshing to see a coach at least TRY to join the 21st century lol

i’m not saying that social media and branding is the backbone of successful football teams by any means but it is objectively something collins has stepped in and improved.

ultimately on the field results this year will probably be the pivotal shift in the tide one way or the other. now the team is basically all his so the rebuild excuse is no more so you can’t sell tech as a future hot spot with another poor season

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
again, if you look at where this started several pages ago since people can’t understand, the engagement is up on social media a lot. percentage wise we’ve made some of the most growth (not realistic to expect us to beat out bama, notre dame, ohio state etc.)

social media does help recruiting. things like clips of lew carrala speeches, training clips, in game pics etc. will impress recruits on some level. in the NIL era that exposure is a potential gateway to sponsors so it is a legit selling point in recruiting pitches

i have to be honest it is refreshing to see a coach at least TRY to join the 21st century lol

i’m not saying that social media and branding is the backbone of successful football teams by any means but it is objectively something collins has stepped in and improved.

ultimately on the field results this year will probably be the pivotal shift in the tide one way or the other. now the team is basically all his so the rebuild excuse is no more so you can’t sell tech as a future hot spot with another poor season
Pardon me for not reading all the pages of this thread lol, but I was just wanting your take on the "branding" and how it's helped since I'm completely out of the loop and unknowledgeable as to the workings of social media, this website notwithstanding lol.

I have no quarrel with this coaching staff's recruiting, lol.