Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
So what standard are we shooting for? To recruit well and go 6-6? I’m not sure I even understand you at all.
do our best, win the conference and make an ny6 bowl every now and then. collins has to say that we want to compete for national championships but let’s all be realistic that’s not happening any time soon at georgia tech and that has been true since at any point the last 2 decades regardless of who our coach was

better recruits will help us reach those goals

JacketFan137

Banned
Sam Pittman inherited a team that had won ONE conference game in three years and he’s 9-4 in Year 2. If you with a straight face think we were in a worst position than Arkansas was, you are delusional. There’s no excuse to still be 3-9.
you’re ignoring the fact that they do have a budget over twice ours. collins isn’t good but other factors heavily influence these things

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
do our best, win the conference and make an ny6 bowl every now and then. collins has to say that we want to compete for national championships but let’s all be realistic that’s not happening any time soon at georgia tech and that has been true since at any point the last 2 decades regardless of who our coach was

better recruits will help us reach those goals
Ignore list is wonderful. Bye

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
you’re ignoring the fact that they do have a budget over twice ours. collins isn’t good but other factors heavily influence these things

Sure, I’m not saying its an exact comparison(though their SOS is probably twice as hard as ours), but what I’m saying is there’s no excuse to have basically zero improvement in three years. Arkansas was Vandy bad in the SEC for three years and it’s been turned around in two years. We play two real teams a year right now, a good coach should be able to get more wins. Hell, our defense has statistically gotten worse.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Collins has had a bigger budget than CPJ had. Yet you somehow choose to interpret that as Johnson not caring about recruiting -a direct contradiction of everything CPJ ever said about recruiting.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
all of you were talking around points.

The general consensus is best recruits best teams. This is true, but the teams this actually applies to really all are in the top 10 recruiting, with top 15 having outside shots. The best class in history we've had was 17. It took a unique system to get them to produce one acc championship. I do not believe that class would have produced under patrick nix. Nesbitt was a worse thrower than ball but he was a bull of a runner. Nix would have tried to mold him into a pocket passer. So nesbitt doesn't become JFN but a kid who is benched after his junior year or transitions to defense. (which is where gailey used him in the pros). Our defense is probably about the same. Again the change to the spread offenses in 08-09 and tenuta's trouble with them afterward suggests that even with our defensive talent he would have had the same issues adapting.

Football isn't Jimmys and Joes Or x's and Os. Its both. The difference is when you have great jimmy's and joes. but your x's and os are vanilla or subpar you get a typical SEC down year, LSU suddenly wasn't lacking for 5 star recruits. Florida hasn't been lacking for 5 star recruits. Texas AM and outside but soon to be sec Texas hasn't been lacking in recruits. And Hell the Jacksonville Jaguars aren't lacking in first round draft picks and potential probowlers. If you can't coach em... none of that matters.
The player I thought was the best of that class was DJ Donley. Guy could have been special

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
... and left behind for 2019 a bunch of midget OL, RBs playing QB, and little talent on D--even the Johnson fan boys can't argue that we had talented defenses after 2009.

You are the one twisting the facts--and my post.
Btw there is very little truth to this, other then not having a pocket passing qb. It's already been pointed out that the ol was very standard size when Collins came in. And there were more 4 star players on the defense then anywhere else.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Btw there is very little truth to this, other then not having a pocket passing qb. It's already been pointed out that the ol was very standard size when Collins came in. And there were more 4 star players on the defense then anywhere else.
I think he just likes to hear himself talk.

But what is sad to me is wondering what might have been with a bigger recruiting budget, a fan base that didn’t swallow whole SEC talking points, and an administration that supported the football program. With all that, even with a couple of years of devastating injuries, CPJ was consistently competitive in ways we had not seen in years.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think he just likes to hear himself talk.

But what is sad to me is wondering what might have been with a bigger recruiting budget, a fan base that didn’t swallow whole SEC talking points, and an administration that supported the football program. With all that, even with a couple of years of devastating injuries, CPJ was consistently competitive in ways we had not seen in years.

I would have liked to see Tech do what Iowa has done. They have a system and everyone knows what they are going to be good at and not so good at. They have down years but realize their down falls as a program. BUT every 3-4 years they have a team that is in the national discussion

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Trivia question. What GTSwarm post has the most responses and views?

This one is obviously therapeutic for some. Like watching a ping pong match.

At one time longest was @Dottie1145 's one on Brad Stewart. The uni threads blew apart and resurfaced as new threads. Those were the days when that was all we really bitched about.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, the size of the OL had been addressed by CPJ. The remaining depth and talent is more debatable and health hasn’t been Tech’s friend on the OL. I think the biggest issue in the transition currently is we should have upper class men from the 2018/2019 classes this year but it’s unlikely we will have much production if any along the OL from those recruiting classes. Hopefully transfers like Quick and Pendley are successful and help backfill those classes.

I agree with a lot of posts on each side of the recruiting debate. Recruiting and coaching are both important and recruiting is less of an exact science once you go below high 4 star and 5 star recruits so team recruiting rankings are less reliable after top 10-15. Recruiting is still important as there aren’t a lot of bad recruiting teams that have sustained success. Recruiting is also deceiving because the team needs to be well balanced. Tech could have all 4 star WR and RBs and still be unproductive because of the OL/QB play. There is a s less margin for missing on recruits in certain positions so depth and sustained success in recruiting is important.

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree, the size of the OL had been addressed by CPJ. The remaining depth and talent is more debatable and health hasn’t been Tech’s friend on the OL. I think the biggest issue in the transition currently is we should have upper class men from the 2018/2019 classes this year but it’s unlikely we will have much production if any along the OL from those recruiting classes. Hopefully transfers like Quick and Pendley are successful and help backfill those classes.

I agree with a lot of posts on each side of the recruiting debate. Recruiting and coaching are both important and recruiting is less of an exact science once you go below high 4 star and 5 star recruits so team recruiting rankings are less reliable after top 10-15. Recruiting is still important as there aren’t a lot of bad recruiting teams that have sustained success. Recruiting is also deceiving because the team needs to be well balanced. Tech could have all 4 star WR and RBs and still be unproductive because of the OL/QB play. There is a s less margin for missing on recruits in certain positions so depth and sustained success in recruiting is important.
i think that the balance of the recruiting is important like you mentioned. it seems like most of our high rated recruits have been skill guys and that can only take you so far if your o line is this deficient. the depth is also heavily addressed by consistently recruiting better. this will fall on deaf ears though based on what some guys in this thread want to believe

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
i think that the balance of the recruiting is important like you mentioned. it seems like most of our high rated recruits have been skill guys and that can only take you so far if your o line is this deficient. the depth is also heavily addressed by consistently recruiting better. this will fall on deaf ears though based on what some guys in this thread want to believe
Getting what we need is more important than any ranking. Any year we get two 4-star defensive linemen is a good year recruiting-wise.
And if we had the coaching to go along with it, we'd be dangerous.

JacketFan137

Banned
Getting what we need is more important than any ranking. Any year we get two 4-star defensive linemen is a good year recruiting-wise.
And if we had the coaching to go along with it, we'd be dangerous.
yeah i agree coaching is ultimately a determining factor here. I am very excited about the talent coming in and everyone should be. at the very least if collins gets fired there should be a decent roster left behind. i will choose to be happy about some of the things collins does well rather than be another toxic complainer like some of the users on here that i think want collins to be bad so they can prove their point lol

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, there's a reason no reasonable entity counts that as a real year.
So the NFL, NHL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, FIFA, NPB, KBO, etc. are all not reasonable governing entities? Because last I checked they all counted 2020 as a real year. And those are just sports organizations. For plenty of other organizations outside of sports 2020 was a 'real year.' Not sure what planet you're living on here.