Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
And I hate your kind of accusation. I have been reading these boards diligently for a long time, and have NEVER ONCE seen that statement. I frankly, think you are vastly misinterpreting what someone said.

I normally agree with what you post, but you seem so blinded in this area that you are resorting to flinging accusations that really aren't true.
I do remember seeing those. Although what I can’t remember if they were tongue in cheek or a serious comment.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That's not really true at all. Even the Vegas O/U was 4.5 this year. Just for the record though, what is your prediction for the number of wins we will have this upcoming year?

Too soon to predict. Let's see where everyone is after spring games have been played. Too much can change in terms of roster movement between now and then.

I do think we will have a good shot a making a bowl this year, though.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hatred, no. Anger? You betcha. In my career I’ve had to deal with damage caused by a slickster with a good line of BS and little ability to execute. That’s just business, just life. But when I see the same thing happen to MY team and MY alma mater, it’s not business, it’s personal. And personally, I am angry as Hell at Geoff Collins and the guy who got suckered in by his line of bull. Begone sirs; we can and will do better.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Too soon to predict. Let's see where everyone is after spring games have been played. Too much can change in terms of roster movement between now and then.

I do think we will have a good shot a making a bowl this year, though.
So predicting three straight three win seasons before the 2019 season was reasonable but making any prediction at all for next year is too soon?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to say this is the post of this thread and really takes the GT has to do something different argument and COMPLETELY annihilates it.

Do you realize we are at huge disadvantage compared to the Fridgen years? In 2000 Ralph was the highest paid assistant in college football making 200k a year. To put in perspective our assistant coaches now are on par with Wake Forest. You can’t expect to spend less than big time programs and run a similar offense as everyone else in the top 25 and get better results.
How is Wake Forest doing?

Where is recruiting compared to our peers?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Wake played a sr TE in the bowl game ( if our lads Jbs correct) . They have 4 or 5 sr on defense
BUT.
we next year we play FSU

Hearing they have major rebuild in ol w top recruits coming. Plus 2 portal receivers. Hope we are each improving next year and they lose to gt

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So predicting three straight three win seasons before the 2019 season was reasonable but making any prediction at all for next year is too soon?
First game we are going to bit into the bowl. They will have to rip our teeth iut of the bowl.. Hang in there - we will not be flushed

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And I hate your kind of accusation. I have been reading these boards diligently for a long time, and have NEVER ONCE seen that statement. I frankly, think you are vastly misinterpreting what someone said.

I normally agree with what you post, but you seem so blinded in this area that you are resorting to flinging accusations that really aren't true.
It’s no accusation. You admit that you did not see these posts. I saw them. If you are going to be so adamant that I am wrong then I can only conclude that you think I am making this up, in which case I am deeply disappointed in you. If I have not seen a post that you claim to have seen my default position is to assume you saw something I did not see, not that you are lying. There are way too many posts on this subject for any person to remember them all. These particular comments struck me because it felt at the time like people were creating alibis for Collins before he was even settled into the job. I found that odd. When someone said in the last couple of days that it was “still CPJ’s fault” it felt like a continuation of a narrative from three years ago. When they further indicated that Nebraska was still trying to evolve from the wishbone 20 years later it sounded like more of the same.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

You using Wake Forest as a example for all? Why don’t you look at Wake Forest all time record smh. They will revert back to their mean unless they spend to keep up with everyone else.but if you watched wake forest this year you would know they run a unique RPO offense that I have yet to see anyone else run. It gives them quite the advantage at the line of scrimmage. They also recruit kids they have a pretty good idea will be in the program 5 years. Clwason himself has said I think my 5 year guys can beat a Clemson team full of freshmen

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do remember seeing those. Although what I can’t remember if they were tongue in cheek or a serious comment.
Here's just one of them, cut and pasted directly from this thread just a few pages back:

"We were successful before Johnson and we will be successful once we get a few more years away from his offense."

It's been three years already, so add "a few more years" to that and we're just about to 7. Doesn't appear to be tongue-in-cheek, either.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You using Wake Forest as a example for all? Why don’t you look at Wake Forest all time record smh. They will revert back to their mean unless they spend to keep up with everyone else.but if you watched wake forest this year you would know they run a unique RPO offense that I have yet to see anyone else run. It gives them quite the advantage at the line of scrimmage. They also recruit kids they have a pretty good idea will be in the program 5 years. Clwason himself has said I think my 5 year guys can beat a Clemson team full of freshmen
Coach Clawson is exactly the kind of coach they need at Wake. He tales mid-50s recruiting classes of people other programs overlook (best example = the Carney brothers) and keeps them in development for 5 years. Then he starts them. With Hartman coming back, the rest of the ACC will be in a heap of trouble with Wake next year. Oh, and this is the sixth straight year that Wake has gone to a bowl game. Direct proof - if any was needed - that astute scheduling and good coaching leads to winning seasons.

When we replace Collins, I expect Clawson will be at the top of our list. Unfortunately, as with Jeff Monken. at Army, I suspect he's quite content to stay at Wake.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Coach Clawson is exactly the kind of coach they need at Wake. He tales mid-50s recruiting classes of people other programs overlook (best example = the Carney brothers) and keeps them in development for 5 years. Then he starts them. With Hartman coming back, the rest of the ACC will be in a heap of trouble with Wake next year. Oh, and this is the sixth straight year that Wake has gone to a bowl game. Direct proof - if any was needed - that astute scheduling and good coaching leads to winning seasons.

When we replace Collins, I expect Clawson will be at the top of our list. Unfortunately, as with Jeff Monken. at Army, I suspect he's quite content to stay at Wake.
Great read on his offense as well.

“I would say that what we do is very systematic like the triple option,” Ruggiero said. Yep let’s be like Wake Boaty!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here's just one of them, cut and pasted directly from this thread just a few pages back:

"We were successful before Johnson and we will be successful once we get a few more years away from his offense."

It's been three years already, so add "a few more years" to that and we're just about to 7. Doesn't appear to be tongue-in-cheek, either.
And that’s recently. The quote from three years ago was, if I recall correctly, part of the spitting and moaning over why you would give an unproven coach a 7 year contract. In passing someone inserted in the larger discussion that it would take 7 years to transition from the triple option.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Clawson will be at a lot of top programs list if he keeps winning which is likely. He may start losing assistant coaches that have helped build them to where they are. They have played UNC a couple of times and it was not considered a conference game.