Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the key boosters and AD are banking on 8 wins and CGC recruiting explodes...if you see the folks that de committed shortly before early signing day you can see it ....LB, S, DB, WR, RBs (Gibbs) TE, OL

Probably another thread needed for 2022 season win predictions. But given the vitriol towards the program right now, it would soon be the same as this thread. So we should wait till next summer.

Next year, Clemson and uGag are sure losses. Only "sure" win is Duke and Western Carolina. Rest depend on the portal, injuries and "coaching".

I predicted 5 wins this year. Whatever I predict next year will be wrong too based on empirical evidence. But no way do I see 8 wins. Making a bowl would be very good and is easier than this year given the weaker SoS I expect.

Last edited:

GTBlaze

Banned
Since CGC will not be fired this year, I think it's time to lock this thread. It no longer serves any useful purpose except to entertain UGA fans and those who will use it to recruit against us.

We can pick it up again next fall if need be. But for now, it would be better to focus on how best to play the hand we've been dealt for the upcoming season.
No. keep it open. I want CGC to have to read this thread every single day until the new season begins. Then, after we get destroyed the first game let him read it even more

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to say this is the post of this thread and really takes the GT has to do something different argument and COMPLETELY annihilates it.

Do you realize we are at huge disadvantage compared to the Fridgen years? In 2000 Ralph was the highest paid assistant in college football making 200k a year. To put in perspective our assistant coaches now are on par with Wake Forest. You can’t expect to spend less than big time programs and run a similar offense as everyone else in the top 25 and get better results.
Work for less?
Yea, thats for the other guy .
But not me.

U r wrong. At Gt we think we can precisously calculate the minimum amount needed and then not a penny more. Its an engineers mind.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No. keep it open. I want CGC to have to read this thread every single day until the new season begins. Then, after we get destroyed the first game let him read it even more

Clemson is hungry for another NC and their best players aren't declaring for the draft. I've written off the first Clemson game. If we lose to Western Carolina in the second game, then it's over for Collins. But for $, we'll have to keep him on.

Unlike many of the posters here, I really don't dislike Collins and think he is trying to do his best. It hasn't been good enough, but no reason to personally hate on the guy because he can't do the job. Just get someone else when we can afford to change.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to say this is the post of this thread and really takes the GT has to do something different argument and COMPLETELY annihilates it.
Well, not exactly. For the record (as if anyone cared) I think we don't necessarily have to do something quirky, but I do think it helps. Doesn't have to be the 3O. We had Gailey, who ran a conventional offense but an unorthodox defense under Tenuta. The offense was weak, but the defense shone. We had Johnson, who ran an unconventional offense but had a standard defense. The offense was stellar, and the defense was pedestrian. I think there's a lesson in there.

IMO, what would have been perfect would have been Paul's offense coupled with Tenuta's defense. The two would have complimented each other perfectly. The worst pairing was Pauls' offense and Roof's bend-but-don't-break defense, which negated Johnson's ball-control offense.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Unlike many of the posters here, I really don't dislike Collins and think he is trying to do his best. It hasn't been good enough, but no reason to personally hate on the guy because he can't do the job. Just get someone else when we can afford to change.
I understand that thinking after 48 years of marriage I thought about getting rid of my wife but the cost was overwhelming and heII I'm 70 so I can't have that many more years. Eatting out is fine. But after 48 years one would think she could cook something I could eat. Thank goodness for beer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is hungry for another NC and their best players aren't declaring for the draft. I've written off the first Clemson game. If we lose to Western Carolina in the second game, then it's over for Collins. But for $, we'll have to keep him on.

For the record I don’t hate Collins either. His tone deaf approach to coaching is maddening but basically I feel sorry for him and hope things eventually work out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Probably another thread needed for 2022 season win predictions. But given the vitriol towards the program right now, it would soon be the same as this thread. So we should wait till next summer.

Next year, Clemson and uGag are sure losses. Only "sure" win is Duke and Western Carolina. Rest depend on the portal, injuries and "coaching".

I predicted 5 wins this year. Whatever I predict next year will be wrong too based on empirical evidence. But no way do I see 8 wins. Making a bowl would be very good and is easier than this year given the weaker SoS I expect.
I predicted four wins for 2021 myself. The problem with making predictions now is that although we know quite a bit about Tech even with the portal going, we, or at least I, know very little about our opponents until near the end of summer. Making predictions now is like the proverbial 4 blind men describing an elephant. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I understand that thinking after 48 years of marriage I thought about getting rid of my wife but the cost was overwhelming and heII I'm 70 so I can't have that many more years. Eatting out is fine. But after 48 years one would think she could cook something I could eat. Thank goodness for beer.
Dude, you are getting close to touching that third rail. Does she ever read this forum? Recognizing that most if not all of what you post about her is TIC and for entertainment purposes only. Kind of like Ralph Kramden and Alice in the old Honeymooners sit com or that guy in The King of Queens.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t believe anyone hates Collins. Most of us don’t know him (and no an introduction and handshake is not knowing someone). I gave him every benefit and my emotional soul when we hired him. And I still like his verbal love of GT and Atlanta even though I’m a country boy form South Georgia. And I like his recruiting and his roster management. I supported him thru 2 abysmal ball crushing seasons. Hate has nothing to do with it. It’s about production and we are considered a football joke in the southeast. The rest of the country doesn’t even care. Collins is our coach and he has been given another 12 games. I hope he does well. We are in our version of a lost decade like every team has on occasion. We just gotta grin and look toward the future.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For the record I don’t hate Collins either. His tone deaf approach to coaching is maddening but basically I feel sorry for him and hope things eventually work out.
I certainly don't hate the guy. Hope he figures it out. He's probably a fine fellow - family man and all that. But he has about 20 million reasons not to be felt sorry for.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t believe anyone hates Collins. Most of us don’t know him (and no an introduction and handshake is not knowing someone). I gave him every benefit and my emotional soul when we hired him. And I still like his verbal love of GT and Atlanta even though I’m a country boy form South Georgia. And I like his recruiting and his roster management. I supported him thru 2 abysmal ball crushing seasons. Hate has nothing to do with it. It’s about production and we are considered a football joke in the southeast. The rest of the country doesn’t even care. Collins is our coach and he has been given another 12 games. I hope he does well. We are in our version of a lost decade like every team has on occasion. We just gotta grin and look toward the future.
It’s not about emotions like “hate”. I agree. I don’t “hate” Geoff, although anyone that reads my posts back to 2019 would understand that his personality is not something I am fond of. With that said, I was still hoping against my own experience & intellect that maybe this guy was going to be different than rah, rah guys I had experienced previously. Maybe he would be a great coach and marketeer, but I did have serious doubts. Those doubts changed to proof. If I believed his approach would actually change, maybe Hope would return, but he is who he is. He is a friend to the players more than a tough hard-nosed leader of young men, in my opinion. I think we could get to 5-6 wins next year in spite of his coaching acumen, but I sure hope that isn’t the definition of success for him.

Last edited: