Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Because we were really poorly coached. Had nothing to do with my point.

That is a lot if you guys problem. Many of you think being negative about the 3O means you are positive towards Collins.

I’m negative on both. They both play a roll in our current situation.
Running the option 3 years ago is no reason why we are absolutely terrible now. We had the 5th best talent in the ACC. A competent coach wins 6 games minimum with our talent. Especially at the skill positions

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Running the option 3 years ago is no reason why we are absolutely terrible now. We had the 5th best talent in the ACC. A competent coach wins 6 games minimum with our talent. Especially at the skill positions
Maybe so. I don’t think 6 wins was unrealistic this year.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Let me add however that the fact we are discussing 6 wins being reasonable in year 3 is reason enough never to bring that god forsaken offense called the 3O which no other P5 teams have ran in over 2 decades back to the flats.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins would pull top 20 classes if he was winning. You are MASSIVELY underselling the ceiling of our program.
We will agree to disagree. ONE time, because players decided they wanted to play together in the ATL, and still not top 10. The difference in top 10, top 5, and everyone else has never been larger. And, it is only spread further every year. NIL and big fan bases will continue to dominate. We need a difference maker as HC and OC and DC. We must outscheme teams with more talent & depth.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We are none of those schools. We are an urban (large urban) STEM school. And, the only one trying to play P5 football. We can agree to disagree.
You’ve been really into the STEM qualifier lately. Fact is it really doesn’t matter who is a STEM school and who isn’t. It’s been proven that Tech can recruit at the top 25 level regardless of the fact that we are a STEM school. Do you really think Utah, Iowa State, or Wake Forest have higher recruiting ceilings simply because they aren’t STEM schools? The fact is that you don’t need to be “different” to be successful.

What you do need is a team of players willing to buy into whatever system is in place and play for each other, and you need to be able to put together complete games in all 3 phases. It also helps when your offensive and defensive play styles complement each other.

A good coach will implement a system that includes all of those things, and will compete with and beat many teams with greater talent but worse preparation and team play. Cutcliffe wasn’t doing anything crazy or different on either side of the ball and he ran out some pretty good Duke teams with some severe talent deficiencies. It also helps when you have a fully developed QB playing for you. See Duke with Daniel Jones, Pitt with Kenny Pickett, Wake with Hartman, Iowa State with Purdy, Ole Miss with Corral, Cincinnati with Ridder, BYU with Zach Wilson, and so on and so forth

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This site is privately owned I'm guessing, am I correct? If so, y'all can censor/delete whatever you wish. I think it's hilarious how people think that is communism.
When you consider the demographics of the board it's really not all that surprising.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so. I don’t think 6 wins was unrealistic this year.
Let me add however that the fact we are discussing 6 wins being reasonable in year 3 is reason enough never to bring that god forsaken offense called the 3O which no other P5 teams have ran in over 2 decades back to the flats.

Why does it matter if we run the option? You’re also wrong that no P5 team has ran that offense. Which shows your lack of knowledge of the game (no disrespect) Gus Malzahn ran the 3-0 out of the gun. The principles were the exact same when he had Marshall at QB. Also rewatch West Virginia in the Pat White years. Guy never threw for over 2,000 yards and the year they beat UGA in the Sugar Bowl had the same offensive numbers as Josh Nesbit. WVU ran a lot of two back sets and would run the dive out of the gun with Owen Schimtt as the lead blocker

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Coming out of the triple option has led to the worst 3 year stretch of GT football in you tell me how long.

Never going back to that offense. Thank god.

Did you by any chance actually watch Friedgin's offenses?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You’ve been really into the STEM qualifier lately. Fact is it really doesn’t matter who is a STEM school and who isn’t. It’s been proven that Tech can recruit at the top 25 level regardless of the fact that we are a STEM school. Do you really think Utah, Iowa State, or Wake Forest have higher recruiting ceilings simply because they aren’t STEM schools? The fact is that you don’t need to be “different” to be successful.

What you do need is a team of players willing to buy into whatever system is in place and play for each other, and you need to be able to put together complete games in all 3 phases. It also helps when your offensive and defensive play styles complement each other.

A good coach will implement a system that includes all of those things, and will compete with and beat many teams with greater talent but worse preparation and team play. Cutcliffe wasn’t doing anything crazy or different on either side of the ball and he ran out some pretty good Duke teams with some severe talent deficiencies. It also helps when you have a fully developed QB playing for you. See Duke with Daniel Jones, Pitt with Kenny Pickett, Wake with Hartman, Iowa State with Purdy, Ole Miss with Corral, Cincinnati with Ridder, BYU with Zach Wilson, and so on and so forth
I want get into all of this, but my point is that to get to where I want us to be, we need great coaching and a difference on O. Top 25 classes (which we have not proven we can do year in, year out) is not enough, no where near enough.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We will agree to disagree. ONE time, because players decided they wanted to play together in the ATL, and still not top 10. The difference in top 10, top 5, and everyone else has never been larger. And, it is only spread further every year. NIL and big fan bases will continue to dominate. We need a difference maker as HC and OC and DC. We must outscheme teams with more talent & depth.
I like the agree to disagree take. And make no mistake I disagree immensely. But I remember you from my time here before and you are good dude. Enjoy the back and forth.

God bless.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Why does it matter if we run the option? You’re also wrong that no P5 team has ran that offense. Which shows your lack of knowledge of the game (no disrespect) Gus Malzahn ran the 3-0 out of the gun. The principles were the exact same when he had Marshall at QB. Also rewatch West Virginia in the Pat White years. Guy never threw for over 2,000 yards and the year they beat UGA in the Sugar Bowl had the same offensive numbers as Josh Nesbit. WVU ran a lot of two back sets and would run the dive out of the gun with Owen Schimtt as the lead blocker
Ok. You just took the prize for most ridiculous take if the day comparing what Gus ran with Johnson.

I’m enjoying your takes though. Quite entertaining.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Certainly. A ton of different formation each game. Does that remind of you of Johnson’s in any way? Not me.
Omg. Lol Johnson used different blocking schemes each play. It’s the same principle. It’s why he was known of adjustments.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Omg. Lol Johnson used different blocking schemes each play. It’s the same principle. It’s why he was known of adjustments.
Johnson was great at adjustments. No doubt about that. We certainly agree there. He was a brilliant coach.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Durrr I just like looking at formations
Lol. Apparently I wasn’t the only one that enjoyed looking at formations. The talent level at GT went on a steady decline after Johnson took over. Not surprisingly his best 2 year stretch was his first 2 years here when he was working with players Gailey recruited.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I want get into all of this, but my point is that to get to where I want us to be, we need great coaching and a difference on O. Top 25 classes (which we have not proven we can do year in, year out) is not enough, no where near enough.
There a ton of examples that prove you don’t need to be different of offense though. That’s what my whole post was about. Can you point to me any significant differences in the way Wake Forest and Alabama run their offenses? Or what about Utah and Ohio State?

Cincinnati, Baylor, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Utah, BYU, Pitt, UL Lafayette, Wake Forest, Houston, UTSA, and Kentucky are all ranked in the top 25. What do all of those schools have in common? They’re all running the same offensive concepts from the same formations as Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. None of those schools are recruiting powerhouses, and they all beat multiple teams with more talent than they had even though they weren’t “different” on offense. Georgia, Michigan, and Iowa are probably the most unique offenses in the top 25, and that’s just because they’re running vanilla sets and relying heavily on their run game to the set the tone. You saw what happened when Georgia had to play against a team who shut down their run game, scored on their defense, and forced them to use the spread concepts that are most common in today’s college game. They got smoked.

The formations and the concepts aren’t what makes a successful offense. The only thing that matters is the execution. You can run the same exact play 80 times in a game, and if everyone executed their job perfectly that play would work every single time. But because eventually a defense would catch on to that, you have to change things up. That’s where your route trees, your blocking schemes, your QB progressions, and running lanes come from.

The biggest difference between Alabama’s offense and Georgia Tech’s offense isn’t the concepts, it’s the execution. Same thing with Pitt and Georgia Tech, or Wake Forest and Alabama. Their players are doing a better job of executing their designed concept than ours are. And Alabama’s do a better job than literally everyone else.

So, you don’t need a unique offense that’s only good because most teams don’t know how to prepare for it, all you need is an offense that properly executes it’s plays more times than not. How can that be accomplished? Well, you could just get better players that will be better at executing a design and can improvise when needed ie: Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. Or you can coach lesser players to always be in the right spot and always do what they need to do to complete a design ie: Pitt, Wake Forest, Utah, Baylor, Kentucky, etc.