Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for some sort of AI that can sniff out the snark (both original and repetitive, especially the repetitive versions) and dump into its own thread where the snarks can hang out with themselves.
Well, if you hang around a thread titled "Fire Geoff Collins", you can expect some snark. I like snarks, myself. I find them to be "pithy".

slugboy

Staff member
I'm all for some sort of AI that can sniff out the snark (both original and repetitive, especially the repetitive versions) and dump into its own thread where the snarks can hang out with themselves.
Snark is like salt—a little can add flavor, but too much ruins everything.
We’ve had a lot lately, but which snark do you cut out?
Seeing as it’s the holiday season, I suggest a voluntary snark moratorium until after the new year. Who is in?
(New thread to opt in)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Well, if you hang around a thread titled "Fire Geoff Collins", you can expect some snark. I like snarks, myself. I find them to be "pithy".
Yes, it's expected in threads like this one but when it infects other undeserving threads...it's getting kinda' old.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Snark is like salt—a little can add flavor, but too much ruins everything.
We’ve had a lot lately, but which snark do you cut out?
Seeing as it’s the holiday season, I suggest a voluntary snark moratorium until after the new year. Who is in?
(New thread to opt in)
Not that I've ever snarked much, I'll volunteer to stop snarking the snarks.

Speaking of salt (what timing, SB)...my wife made a delicious pea soup last with some ham hock whose saltiness unfortunately overtook her otherwise delicious meal. :)

Last edited:

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We need people to buy season tickets. A boycott to show no vote of confidence in Geoff Collins is not going to help the program in the long run. The next coach and future players are going to want to see fan support and revenue.
Oaks, I’m not suggesting a boycott, just expressing my own opinion. I’d love to be tailgating with other Tech fans every home game weekend, but we all deserve better than what we’ve gotten from Collins.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Oaks, I’m not suggesting a boycott, just expressing my own opinion. I’d love to be tailgating with other Tech fans every home game weekend, but we all deserve better than what we’ve gotten from Collins.
And wouldn't you say that the players deserve more from the fan base ?
As I said earlier, really the staff situation is out of our control right now.

We can still critique the staff but at the end of the day we need to rally around the team.

yellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am absolutely gobsmacked to hear that Thacker could possibly be the guy to fix our defense. With this news my expectation is that our defense will be exactly as bad, if not worse, than last year’s and we will see the same issues of poor communication, plays coming in late, always giving up 3rd and long, etc… The staff will get no benefit of the doubt. They have to have everything working from the first snap and I will definitely be skeptical and have a negative expectation until shown I’m wrong.

I’m going to root for the Jackets and hope like heck that I’m wrong. Truly I would like nothing better than to be proven wrong. Thacker and company already proved me wrong because I originally thought he would lead a good defense. Here’s hoping they prove me wrong again, this time in a good way.
I am with you on Thacker. I have no idea of my own nor have I seen an explanation as to why Thacker has not been fired.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And wouldn't you say that the players deserve more from the fan base ?
As I said earlier, really the staff situation is out of our control right now.

We can still critique the staff but at the end of the day we need to rally around the team.
The SAs deserve our admiration and respect. They are not responsible for their inept leaders. But if ‘rally round the team’ means marching in lockstep to the ticket window for each and every game, I don’t agree. My trips to BDS mean flying from TX, hotel, etc. If I do that, I want to see a quality performance, not what I’ve seen most of the last three years. Rallying around the team means insisting upon effort and a competently run program. I see effort from the SAs, but CGC is simply in over his head.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The SAs deserve our admiration and respect. They are not responsible for their inept leaders. But if ‘rally round the team’ means marching in lockstep to the ticket window for each and every game, I don’t agree. My trips to BDS mean flying from TX, hotel, etc. If I do that, I want to see a quality performance, not what I’ve seen most of the last three years. Rallying around the team means insisting upon effort and a competently run program. I see effort from the SAs, but CGC is simply in over his head.
You know I wish Tech would give a 20% discount to our fans that live so far away. But all they want is money and they don't care about the fans.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting to think about the number of our fans for which every game is an away game and a road trip.
For almost all of the SEC schools, home games require an hour or more drive for attendees, they all don't live in Athens, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, Texas Station, Oxford, etc. I think we are lucky that our school is in a (our) city, where we live, and which is easily accessible by air if you don't live here.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree but way to early to say we should have 3 wins next year.
Is there really any real reason to think we will beat 3 wins.(one which was We lost our best player/RB/returner.We lost our 2nd best runner and best RB blocker.We lose probably our best receiver.MGown.We lost our best OL-Cochran and maybe 2nd best OL.We now have NO exp at #2 QB (not that Sims ever gets hurt)We lost our best DT. and maybe the 2nd best in Griffin. Is best LB Q Jackson returning? The DBs almost can ONLY improve even losing Carp and JThomas. Forgot--our PK is gone..
Somebody has got to upgrade the coaching to overcome these losses a lot.. Snarky? maybe ,but true-

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For almost all of the SEC schools, home games require an hour or more drive for attendees, they all don't live in Athens, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, Texas Station, Oxford, etc. I think we are lucky that our school is in a (our) city, where we live, and which is easily accessible by air if you don't live here.
That’s fine if non-business flying trips are in your weekly budget.

Most of the uga fans I know are a two hour drive more or less from Athens. Less than the amount of time you spend in airport security, checking bags, connecting flights or securing ground transportation.

Not trying to argue, and I’m open to correction, but I suspect most of the fans in Sanford stadium are from Georgia and are not coming from half way across the country.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So....anybody wanna play the "what if" game?

Nate Woody's Army defenses the last two years FEI rankings are
2020: 29
2021: 63

GT's defenses the last year years are:
2020: 88
2021: 111

I don't think anybody is going to argue that GT is less talented than Army, so you have to think that given a year to implement his system, he'd have produced results NO WORSE than his Army teams, and likely at least somewhat better (in my opinion, probably significantly better).

I think we all think that if you hire Monken and you have guys like Yates and Mason running that system, you're going to be just fine on O.

Maybe (given how the coastal has collapsed in the past 3 years) that system hadn't QUITE run it's course, given that you had just brought in a guy who turns out to be a REALLY good defensive coordinator?