Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My take on this is simple. If we are going to fire Collins after the next season unless there is dramatic improvement, and we have donor support to fire him now, why not cut our losses and move on? Since we are not doing that, it must be the case that the AA feels good about staying the course. There is nothing I, or anyone else on this forum, can say to change any of that.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll agree with regard to missed assignments on defense. Film from BC, for example, shows that 3 of the touchdowns were blown assignments that were head scratchers. The coaches have to put the players in position to win, and that wasn't happening on defense. Hopefully, we will get the guys in who can fix it. Again, half of the D staff is being replaced, so it's not like Collins doesn't recognize the problem. Still, the best talent is young, and the best defenses have experienced players.

However, on offense, the OL is a mess, and that's not Collins' or Key's fault. It's what they inherited, along with no tight end or QB with passing skills.

The "coached up" thing is largely BS. Georgia and Alabama are where they are because of recruiting, and not being "coached up." This isn't high school ball.

Give me facts to support your opinion that the offense was good enough this year. You obviously don't understand the roster situation or the injury situation on the OL this year. I don't need another unsupported opinion from someone who has no facts to support the opinion--which is pretty much every anti-Collins poster. All you people know is who the head coach is and that Tech won three games. That is the sum and substance that your opinion is based on-- as your post shows. Tell me-- without looking--who the 5 OL were that got the most playing time against Uga. You can't, nor do you know why that was true. You people need to put your pitchforks down. YOU are damaging this program.
NIU. Defense caved the last drive and gave up the score. They hold we win. Furthermore you act as if you have proof of anything. All you are doing is spouting opinion and calling it fact.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Jacketup,

Don't care one bit about the UGA game, we had no shot at winning that game - didn't watch a single snap.

If the offense was the only thing in the program that was a mess, you might have a point, but it's not and you don't.

Finally, my posts hurt the program no more than yours did when PJ was coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It seems like everyone believes we will suck next year- maybe win 3 games- and that CGC will be canned. Everyone may be right with outcome of our 2022 Tech season.
In sports, when everyone predicts the same outcome for a team’s season, many times they are flat out wrong. I hope that all of you are wrong with your Tech 2022 forecast.
Lord I hope I am wrong about what I’m seeing. Nothing would make me happier.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It really feels like next year is going to be year 0 again, a full reset. Collins staff has been gutted, new OC maybe new DC etc. I want Collins to reset and next year change his approach , change how he does his pressers , get rid of the elitist crap etc. Seems like wishful thinking, but right now sure feels like we're starting back at ground zero with Collins next year

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Jacketup,

Don't care one bit about the UGA game, we had no shot at winning that game - didn't watch a single snap.

If the offense was the only thing in the program that was a mess, you might have a point, but it's not and you don't.

Finally, my posts hurt the program no more than yours did when PJ was coach.
When are you guys gonna stop riding CPJ and move on? Are you all as thin-skinned as Johnson and still have your panties in a bunch about the greatest transformation in modern college football? Geez

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It really feels like next year is going to be year 0 again, a full reset. Collins staff has been gutted, new OC maybe new DC etc. I want Collins to reset and next year change his approach , change how he does his pressers , get rid of the elitist crap etc. Seems like wishful thinking, but right now sure feels like we're starting back at ground zero with Collins next year
Speaking for myself, it wouldn't feel that way if we had brought in a new DC.
Is there any chance we've done so, but it won't be announced until after his bowl game? TStan did say we needed new leadership on both sides of the ball. Surely he didn't mean just hiring a new secondary coach, did he? Say it ain't so...

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll agree with regard to missed assignments on defense. Film from BC, for example, shows that 3 of the touchdowns were blown assignments that were head scratchers. The coaches have to put the players in position to win, and that wasn't happening on defense. Hopefully, we will get the guys in who can fix it. Again, half of the D staff is being replaced, so it's not like Collins doesn't recognize the problem. Still, the best talent is young, and the best defenses have experienced players.

However, on offense, the OL is a mess, and that's not Collins' or Key's fault. It's what they inherited, along with no tight end or QB with passing skills.

The "coached up" thing is largely BS. Georgia and Alabama are where they are because of recruiting, and not being "coached up." This isn't high school ball.

Give me facts to support your opinion that the offense was good enough this year. You obviously don't understand the roster situation or the injury situation on the OL this year. I don't need another unsupported opinion from someone who has no facts to support the opinion--which is pretty much every anti-Collins poster. All you people know is who the head coach is and that Tech won three games. That is the sum and substance that your opinion is based on-- as your post shows. Tell me-- without looking--who the 5 OL were that got the most playing time against Uga. You can't, nor do you know why that was true. You people need to put your pitchforks down. YOU are damaging this program.
We lost to Citadel.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
We don't have money to bring in an actual upgrade. Why is this still news to people?

Eta: Can we stop this, btw? Are there not enough people who understand the situation we're in? No need to make the site toxic with all the firing talks.
Love the passive aggressive reference to “people who understand.” Since you proclaim to be one of those, why don’t you explain it to us? The AD said we had the money if needed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Love the passive aggressive reference to “people who understand.” Since you proclaim to be one of those, why don’t you explain it to us? The AD said we had the money if needed.

Money to make a change does not equate to money to make the needed change. There was no point in firing Collins just to go bargain bin hunting for a coach that will almost certainly fail.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Is there something “below ground zero”? After all, Tech has wasted a lot of money, lost a lot of fans and donors and put the program in the toilet, then flushed it, during this “greatest transition in the history of college football”.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
....Defense caved the last drive and gave up the score. They hold we win. .
It seems that I have read/heard that before around GT football forums before but I just can pin it down when or if I actually heard it. Maybe I was just dreaming. Maybe that has never happened to a GT defense before.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance we've done so, but it won't be announced until after his bowl game? TStan did say we needed new leadership on both sides of the ball. Surely he didn't mean just hiring a new secondary coach, did he? Say it ain't so...
I feel the same way, as back as the defense was why is Thacker still here and listed as DC. Point blank if Thacher is still the DC at the start of the season than TStan needs go with CGC.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
When are you guys gonna stop riding CPJ and move on? Are you all as thin-skinned as Johnson and still have your panties in a bunch about the greatest transformation in modern college football? Geez
Never going to happen until we get a coach that can at least match his great seasons. Guess what, you can both look back fondly and look forward to a brighter future.

Life is not an either or.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Collins could have bought himself 2 years if he’d fired Thacker along with the others. Keeping Thacker may be the hill Collins is going to die on.

When Collins was hired I was optimistic because I felt his recruiting energy would help us reconnect to the recruits and to the people that advise recruits. I was excited about Thacker because he was young and, I thought, had a good mentor in Collins. I wasn’t thrilled about Patenaude but I was willing to take a wait and see approach to him and give him a chance because there was a TON of work to do on the offense rebuilding the position groups almost from the ground up (no TEs, no throwing QBs, wrong kind of OL skills, no separators at the WR position).

I am the kind of person who is always looking for reasons why there can be success. So even among the losses I was looking for signs of improvement. I have seen a few on offense (not enough to make me like Patenaude) but not enough on defense and, in fact, the defense seems to have gotten worse. So now I’m not looking for signs of improvement. I’m looking for wins. Period. I don’t see how we get close to 8 but I’m going to hope that the new OC breathes some life into the offense and that our defense plays even at a “D+” level instead of the “F” they played at last year. I‘d say I hoped for more but I can’t imagine how that can happen with Thacker still around.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, just outperform the guy & shut them up. We've recruited a bunch of higher caliber athletes, we're now running a better scheme, etc. We're days away from Year 4 and the entire roster is changed out except for a handful of guys holding out for another year. Start focusing on why we're in the gutter and getting this program on an upward trajectory instead of wasting all the time explaining why what's going on now is the other guy's fault.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
We are bleeding fans, look at the attendance, look at how GT is talked about by other college football teams/fans. It absolutely blows my mind if what the poster said was true, that big time donors were going to pay the release, that we wouldn't make that decision.

What I think is more probable is that there are NO major GT donors willing to pay the release clause. I also think there are NO GT donors willing to step up and build the salary necessary for us to compete.

Just look at Miami, they just had some Billionaires step up, but before that, they were stuck, I would argue that they were trending downward.

In the business world, GT has been a failing brand for a while. The bottom appears to be falling out, we are losing fans, our donations are declining and brand sentiment around our product is lagging to put it mildly. If something doesn't radically change soon we will soon find ourselves in the same position as Radio Shack.

I think one of the reasons, I'm so frustrated is that Collins has shown you can recruit to GT. The "Salesman" part of him is resonating and he has shown the positive effect that somebody who sells our Institute can have. He just has also proven he can't coach. Can you imagine what people would be saying about GT if we had won 8 games this year. What if we beat UGA or ND.

Our recruiting would be exploding even more that it was. I fear that Collins has damaged that good part of what he has done. I fear that he lack of coaching ability will color our fanbase against a person who can sell this institute.

GT is a sleeping giant, in the middle of one of the best recruiting grounds possible, we should be better.