Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
The more shots the better chance you might get lucky and hit the jackpot.
Name the last team to win a National Title because they got lucky.

Take all the time you need. I'll wait.

EDIT to save you the time:

2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS

Kelly sees the same list I do. He knows where he has a better chance of winning. Any blind man could see it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All ND has to do is go undefeated or have a strong one loss season. There network and their 65 million fans do the rest. At LSU they have to make the SEC championship to even have a shot.
So, you're predicting they get an invite this year (a strong one loss season). I don't agree. Had they won the ACC (or any other P5 conference) they'd be in, but not as an independent.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
So, you're predicting they get an invite this year (a strong one loss season). I don't agree. Had they won the ACC (or any other P5 conference) they'd be in, but not as an independent.
Exactly.

Why do you think Notre Dame joined the ACC for one year? They thought it was a powder puff conference they could easily win and get the auto bid for being the ACC champions.

They got their butts kicked by Clemson and left.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would not predict any team getting in this year not named Georgia. Everyone else has a tainted resume and lots of fan bases are going to be screaming in anguished disbelief. Choosing the playoff teams AT THIS POINT is capricious. How the conference championships play out might or might not clear this up.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would not predict any team getting in this year not named Georgia. Everyone else has a tainted resume and lots of fan bases are going to be screaming in anguished disbelief. Choosing the playoff teams AT THIS POINT is capricious. How the conference championships play out might or might not clear this up.
Notre Dame has a strong one loss resume, like you said. Now, you're qualifying your statement, and I agree with at qualification. Notre Dame is paying the price for insisting on remaining independent and this will become clearer as time goes forward.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed - ND will always be at an inherent disadvantage to get into the CFP as long as they remain an Independent with no extra Conf Championship game or P5 association. Of course, this assumes the current 4 team CFP format - unclear how long that will last... If they were in the ACC this season, they would likely have won it and qualified for the CFP with a 12-1 record.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia is going to lose to Alabama. They always do.

The X factor is going to be: Do UGA and Alabama both go if Alabama wins? I have no idea how that's going to work.

But lets just say for the sake of argument UGA beats Alabama and the rest win out as they stand. That will make the playoff teams UGA, Michigan, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State.

If UGA loses, which I think they will, then it will be Alabama, Michigan, Cincinnati and UGA provided everybody else wins out. OK State will get screwed I think.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Notre Dame has a strong one loss resume, like you said.
Strong?

LMAO!!!
Have you ever watched them play? They're not that good at all. As always they schedule mostly losing teams and this year they've barely managed to beat them.

BARELY held on against 6-6 Virginia Tech 32-29
BARELY held on against 6-6 North Carolina 44-34
BARELY held on in overtime to beat 5-7 Florida State 41-38
BARELY held on against 4-4 Toldeo 32-29

Get the picture now?

They will lose the first game of any playoff they get into. Huge.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever watched them play? They're not that good at all. As always they schedule mostly losing teams and this year they've barely managed to beat them.

Get the picture now?

All those teams were playing better then. Don’t laugh. They were. They have since been exposed and those teams all but quit on their seasons.

The ND team they beat us worse than uga did is a much stronger team now.

But I get it, you don’t like ND and think they get overrated most years, like most of the rest of us including me. But I don’t want to nit pick this argument.

I stand by my point that the path to a NC is going to be harder for Kelly at LSU. There is a reason LSU’s first choice for coach decided to go to Southern Cal. We can agree to disagree.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Name the last team to win a National Title because they got lucky.

Take all the time you need. I'll wait.

EDIT to save you the time:

2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS

Kelly sees the same list I do. He knows where he has a better chance of winning. Any blind man could see it.

I hate this list. If the same team wins over and over what is the point of competition.

I despise the current state of college football. It is a pro-level league with 99% of schools that will never be anywhere close to pro type level.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame has a strong one loss resume, like you said. Now, you're qualifying your statement, and I agree with at qualification. Notre Dame is paying the price for insisting on remaining independent and this will become clearer as time goes forward.
My qualification is only that no one outside of Georgia has a strong enough resume to have a clear shot at the playoffs this year. If Alabama wins the SEC then all their past sins will be forgiven because the committee has already proven they hate to leave Alabama out. But outside of an Alabama win to get in I don’t see any team other than Georgia who is a lock.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Get the picture now?

Another playoff team:

BARELY beat a 6-6 UF team
BARELY beat a 7-4 Arkansas team
BARELY beat a 6-6 Auburn team
BARELY beat a 4-5 LSU team
LOST to an overrated 8-4 TA&M team

it's Alabama

See what I did there? It's shallow minded people that allowed Tech to buy into the SEC marketing hype that negatively recruited against ourselves when we had a legit coach and winning program. Y'all wanted a guy like DJ jazzy Jeff so we can be more like an SEC program. We threw out our Corvette to instead be sold on a Ford pinto (which if any of you know the history of the pinto, the irony will not be lost on you).

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is already the winningest coach in Notre Dame history and he still never really came close to a National Title. The reason he's leaving is simple: he realizes he never will win a title at Notre Dame, so he's headed someplace he knows he can.

He's already set for life. It has very little if anything to do with money.
I don't really have an opinion on where it might be easier to win a national championship. Its certainly easier to get there at ND. Their teams have had trouble once they get there though.

As far as what drew him to LSU, he was actually asked this question recently in an interview and he laughed it off and said something to the likes of 'if a check big enough came, i'd have to run it by my wife'

Well that check came.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You're reaching here. They beat them by 10 and there was not a lot of doubt in the 4th quarter. UNC pulled to within 7 and ND promptly responded by taking their time and scoring a FG to put the game out of reach with less than 2 minutes to play.

Meanwhile, their SoS, while only 38th, is a sight better than ugas 51st per Sagarin.