Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree. The SEC west is murderers’ row. You can recruit at ND, keep your players healthy playing a balanced schedule, & get preference many times from playoff committee. I know he didn’t win one at ND, but it can be done. I still think at 60, the 12 million & warm weather were the biggest reasons he went.
Yeah the SEC West is tough but if you want to win it all you likely gotta beat whoever comes out of it and at lsu you can be that team. And each of LSU's last 3 coaches has won a natty. How many coaches ago was it that Notre Dame won one? It's definitely possible at notre dame but i think much more likely at lsu

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you but sooner or later we have to put up the money, otherwise we will have to step down a division. That’s the new landscape. And TStan claims we have the money to do that unless you don’t believe him. 🤔
I mean I believe that we have more money, but does that mean we are going to simply spend more than we are now, or actually compete with those schools in spending?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the SEC West is tough but if you want to win it all you likely gotta beat whoever comes out of it and at lsu you can be that team. And each of LSU's last 3 coaches has won a natty. How many coaches ago was it that Notre Dame won one? It's definitely possible at notre dame but i think much more likely at lsu

I agree. LSU won a National championship less than two calendar years ago. Notre Dame’s last championship was before our last one.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
All these schools in the SEC dropping big dollars....but with a super conference like that if you dont win the money has to dry up right? Only some schools will become elite while the others drown. Texas, Oklahoma, ugag, Bama, Aubie, Florida, LSU, Tennessee.....when it starts to get competitive who is going to keep pumping money to make the next big hire. Not everyone can win. Small fodder schools like GT and vandy will probably be ****ed tho.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
remember when O'leary lied to hopefully get to N. Dame? What lie could we tell that would get Notre Dame to take Collins?

Man, I often think about all the "what ifs" with O'Leary and ND.

What if ND called a year sooner? Ralph Friedgen most likely becomes our HC and never takes the Maryland job. IMO, Ralph was the better coach over O'Leary. O'Leary didn't have the 9+ win seasons at GT until Friedgen came back as our OC in 1997. When he left to take over a pitiful Maryland, he quickly won 10+ games his first 3 years, and had a 75-50 overall record at Maryland before the AD lost his mind fired Friedgen in 2010 (Ralph was 9-4 that year when he was fired). There was a lot of rumbling that Friedgen should have been credited with all the success that O'Leary got...if you remember, our offense was the star of the show the years Friedgen was OC for O'Leary.

We most certainly miss out on the Gailey and CPJ years. Friedgen probably would have been our coach for 5-10 years.

Events of college football are so weird...a lot of it is timing.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC
We will be better next year. Why? It’s statistically impossible to be worse. Sure, we lost Gibbs. And we may lose others. I don’t know. What I do know is that anyone would be an improvement over our last OC and DC. And our OLine play can’t be worse. And our QB play can’t be worse. And our defense can’t be worse. Look at the numbers. We will be better next season. Our coach will still be let go because he is a lame duck, but as a football team we’ll be better.
But it’ll be year zero again so Ws and Ls won’t count right ? SMH

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Sure it is sad, but Nick Saban lost a player named Alvin Kamara. It is one player.
Lol and Nick Saban probably had three other 5 start RB's behind him getting blocked for by a stable of 5 star linemen that he recruited there. Funny we don't have any of those 5 star anythings even though this staff claimed it would be easier to recruit here than at Bama (won't forget that).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget that Bear almost lost his job in 1969 and 1970 and just before he did retire. The deep pocket alumni said he was out of touch and time had passed him by. Instead he secretly met with Darryl Royal to learn a new offensive system. Adaptation and willingness to admit you are fallible is key to growth. Let us hope that GC is that kind of guy. If you are afraid of being fired in any job, you will be less effective.
Wish everyone would stop comparing CGC to Frank Beamer, Bill Belichick, coach Ross or anyone else like that. CGC is not having a rough start like them, nor will he ever sniff their level of success so please stop.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wish everyone would stop comparing CGC to Frank Beamer, Bill Belichick, coach Ross or anyone else like that. CGC is not having a rough start like them, nor will he ever sniff their level of success so please stop.

Frank Beamer went 6-4-1 in year 3 at VT. Ross went 7-4 in year 3 at GT. Belichick is an NFL coach, so that's just a silly comparison. Beamer and Ross had a REALLY tough job when they were hired, CGC inherited a team that finished 2nd in the Coastal the year before he was hired.

By year 3, you know what you have in a coach. Can CGC do better than 3 wins in the future? Probably, because that's not a high bar, but I don't ever seeing him consistently winning at GT, unfortunately. I hope I'm proven wrong, but from what I've seen with his coaching decisions, and inability to organize the side of the ball that's supposed to be his specialty, there's not much light at the end of the CGC tunnel for me.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Man, I often think about all the "what ifs" with O'Leary and ND.

What if ND called a year sooner? Ralph Friedgen most likely becomes our HC and never takes the Maryland job. IMO, Ralph was the better coach over O'Leary. O'Leary didn't have the 9+ win seasons at GT until Friedgen came back as our OC in 1997. When he left to take over a pitiful Maryland, he quickly won 10+ games his first 3 years, and had a 75-50 overall record at Maryland before the AD lost his mind fired Friedgen in 2010 (Ralph was 9-4 that year when he was fired). There was a lot of rumbling that Friedgen should have been credited with all the success that O'Leary got...if you remember, our offense was the star of the show the years Friedgen was OC for O'Leary.

We most certainly miss out on the Gailey and CPJ years. Friedgen probably would have been our coach for 5-10 years.

Events of college football are so weird...a lot of it is timing.
Good post.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am aware. Up until CGC was hired he was generally credited as being the architect of the 2007 class. History was rewritten after CGC was hired to say Collins was responsible for that class.

Smith probably played a hand in it as well. He was the RC. Just like it isn't just Collins recruiting now, it wasn't just him then. However, the 2007 class was a one year thing for us (although I think the following class was on its way to a similar but not quite as good state prior to the coaching staff but I could be misremembering that). Smith was RC for 4 years and on staff prior to that for 2. So if you're looking for an explanation as to why that one class stood above the surrounding ones it doesn't make much sense to point to someone who was there for an extended period of time surrounding it. Now in reality it was likely the combination of both of them, and maybe others, which would also go with the fact that this staff was put together specifically targeting multiple well thought of recruiters and not just reliant on Collins only as a recruiter. That is likely a lesson learned from Collins time here (and probably any number of other situations as I doubt that idea is anything revolutionary).

slugboy

Staff member
There were multiple good recruiters towards the end of Gailey’s tenure here. Giff Smith had a reputation as a great recruiter, and I think he’s kept it in all his stops after Tech. Collins contributed and should get some credit, but 100% credit to any one person is a mistake. Success has multiple parents, and failure only one.