Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Not being capable of paying buyouts when things are going really bad seems like a fast track to complete irrelevance. We also now pay our head coach less than Liberty does. If we don't find a way to generate more revenue to afford buyouts and decent coaches then im not sure attempting to compete at this level is a fruitful endeavor.
That revenue generation is TStan’s job. He was an AD of Oregon State in Corvallis (population ~60K so like Athens) & East Tennessee State University in Johnson City (population ~70K) so neither are anything close to metropolitan Atlanta as well as completely lack a rich college football history. In fact, TStan was the “architect” of terminating ETSU football.

He is inexperienced & learning as he goes. We have hired our own Dimitroff.

slugboy

Staff member
I can easily see how good coaching vs bad coaching could swing average scores by ten points. You're talking about preparation, development, game day decisions, and everything else associated with coaching a team. Yeah, 10 points easy.
You piqued my interest. Stats post at https://gtswarm.com/threads/being-10-points-away.24369/.

For what it's worth, I think it's a lot easier to be 10 points worse in points per game than shaving 2 points off when you're an average team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You piqued my interest. Stats post at https://gtswarm.com/threads/being-10-points-away.24369/.

For what it's worth, I think it's a lot easier to be 10 points worse in points per game than shaving 2 points off when you're an average team.
I think this team as a whole. as it is. could easily be better by ten points a game with a good coaching staff. Say, 5 points on offense and 5 on defense.
But it's hard to see Geoff Collins and his current staff suddenly, miraculously finding ten points a game.

LibertyTurns

Banned

What if he’s reading this all wrong and we’re actually outperforming all season. We could be a 10pt worse defense very easily & any positive changes would have to get us back to this year’s level. Sounds crazy, but half the games were not real competitive. If other teams really had to score, we’d have seen a lot different plays called in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, today I will choose to be thankful for my family and friends (including those on GTS). Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Anyway I look at it, we are one day closer to having a new regime, a new direction. It may not come as soon as I would wish, but it will come without a miracle that I cannot fathom.

Saturday will be a frustrating game to watch most likely, but again, we still are playing division 1 football (for now), and for that, I am also thankful.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
That revenue generation is TStan’s job. He was an AD of Oregon State in Corvallis (population ~60K so like Athens) & East Tennessee State University in Johnson City (population ~70K) so neither are anything close to metropolitan Atlanta as well as completely lack a rich college football history. In fact, TStan was the “architect” of terminating ETSU football.

He is inexperienced & learning as he goes. We have hired our own Dimitroff.
On the job training, just like the football coach.

slugboy

Staff member
What if he’s reading this all wrong and we’re actually outperforming all season. We could be a 10pt worse defense very easily & any positive changes would have to get us back to this year’s level. Sounds crazy, but half the games were not real competitive. If other teams really had to score, we’d have seen a lot different plays called in the 3rd and 4th quarters.
Notre Dame could have hung 110 on us if they wanted to. And I'm not being flippant. So yeah, our numbers could be worse.

On the other hand our ranking is probably about right, because the same thing probably happened to the teams behind us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame could have hung 110 on us if they wanted to.
Just my opinion, but I think that's because a lot of players pretty much just quit. I don't know how they've hung in there this long.
I'm wondering how much faith the players have in this coaching staff at this point. Body language says not much, and with all the problems they've had just getting plays in, calling time outs, etc., etc., I can't blame them. I believe this team has the talent to be far better on the field than what they're showing. It is just a poorly coached football team.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is our last game - we kick off they return to midfield. 1st play of game they have a WR uncovered for 38 yards to the 10. That is what this culture has brought us.

The only upside is we know what next year will be so it won’t be nearly as painful. We now know what to expect so at least for me game days will be much improved because once you lose hope it’s much easier to manage. Kinda like Saturday. Normally, I’d have a hard time sleeping Friday night because I would have scenarios running thru my head. I admit, last year I still had hope of Sims going all Charlie Ward. I’ll sleep like a baby tomorrow night because we know the outcome. I just hope we cover their receivers on occasion, but whenever I use the word “hope“ I know it won’t happen with Collins.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, but I think that's because a lot of players pretty much just quit. I don't know how they've hung in there this long.
I'm wondering how much faith the players have in this coaching staff at this point. Body language says not much, and with all the problems they've had just getting plays in, calling time outs, etc., etc., I can't blame them. I believe this team has the talent to be far better on the field than what they're showing. It is just a poorly coached football team.
I’ve been watching body language the last 4 games or so and it isn’t great. Everyone looks bored.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
And, this is another reason I don't believe another year makes sense. I believe the team has started checking out, although I am sure it is not every player. I guess TStan thinks that between Saturday late afternoon and next season, CGC can get everyone back in the wagon, but I have my doubts.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And, this is another reason I don't believe another year makes sense. I believe the team has started checking out, although I am sure it is not every player. I guess TStan thinks that between Saturday late afternoon and next season, CGC can get everyone back in the wagon, but I have my doubts.
I can't say cause I don't talk to any players but if he has loss any players it's over cancer in the locker room is hard to cut out

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can't say cause I don't talk to any players but if he has loss any players it's over cancer in the locker room is hard to cut out
Well, Stech, it might be that he only lost some players during the ND game, and they are not lost for any long term scenario, but if players begin to check out, a lot of times, as you say, it creates a snowball effect.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, Stech, it might be that he only lost some players during the ND game, and they are not lost for any long term scenario, but if players begin to check out, a lot of times, as you say, it creates a snowball effect.
It happens to a lot of coaches but most the time it's in their 1st year ( I believe Ross had that his first year ) but this is collins 3rd year and that would be bad very bad.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame could have hung 110 on us if they wanted to. And I'm not being flippant. So yeah, our numbers could be worse.

On the other hand our ranking is probably about right, because the same thing probably happened to the teams behind us.
We used to do that to other teams. Remember when we shut out Syracuse and hung 56 on them? We were using some 4th string guys lol.

Sorry @CuseJacket

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The announcement that CGC will be back is one of the most obvious decisions that was always going to happen.
If you look at it rationally, there is no way GT will fire Collins while he is in the 'fully guaranteed' part of his contract. Which also means fans thinking he might be fired if he starts slowly next year are likely wrong. The difference between firing him after say 4 games vs firing him after the season ends next year is around $4.5M. For that much money you you grit your teeth and wait 3 months.

Frankly, GT is not an attractive enough job that you can simply fire coaches and automatically expect to hire better ones. GT is likely a bottom 1/2 job in the P5 conferences. Athlon ranks it as the 41st best in FBS and 7th best in ACC - and that was before 3 straight 3 win seasons - which is going to negatively impact that.

It's not a bottom of a barrel job, but it is also not one that is likely to attract many, if any, top tier type candidates. It's a program that if you can find the right G5 HC or P5 asst you can win until that coach finds a better P5 job. In essence I do not see GT as a 'destination' job, it is more of a 'stepping stone' job. In all likelihood if Collins ultimately has to be replaced it could be with another coach with a similar background (though hopefully more success).